Blanket fort closet!
Old 29th December 2012
Gear interested

Blanket fort closet!

Howdie! I'm looking for some general information/suggestions

I'm currently recording in a 5x4 rectangular closet with a 7ft ceiling cleanly lined on all surfaces with 1/2 in thick denim sheets. (cielings floor walls)

I've got one denim blanket draped over the entrance.

My computer rig is outside of the closet

I've been able to eliminate noise like this but it seems to me that im loosing some crispness or clarity! I'm a total dabbler in recording looking to get a little more serious so ANY good information would be greatly appreciated!

Merry late christmas
-Dave
Old 31st December 2012
Gear addict

that's pretty small, but i'm in a similar boat, working with "what i've got".

it's hard to say if your booth is too 'dead' or if reflections are cancelling some frequencies without hearing a recording. can you post something up to listen to?

i'm guessing by loss of crispness you mean that some frequencies aren't being picked up accurately. try moving the mic around and see if you can bring some of them back. if so then you may still have some nasty reflections in such a tight spot.

I intend to start doing vocals this spring in a closet and i'm uncertain how the results are going to be. In the meantime all I know is that it's the most isolated spot in the house and I'm hoping the right amount of aborption is going to make it work.
Old 31st December 2012
Gear interested

I use a closet that's just over 4ft x 4ft for my vocal booth. Much like you I had previously lined with blankets however I took the plunge and ordered a 5 pack of Audimute Sound Absorption Sheets. I will say there is quite a difference from before. They usually have the "color of the week" discounted by about 80 bucks off.

One other thing you might want to try is an SE Reflection filter. I know plenty of studios using those.

Hope that helps.
Old 31st December 2012
Gear interested

Thanks guys- I may consider the actual acoustic blankets. I've been able to get some better results just upping the gain some in reaper
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search