Is room size better? 10x12 vs 16x25 ?
New Reply
Subscribe
mczx
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

Is room size better? 10x12 vs 16x25 ?

Well, it finally hit me how important small room acoustics are for any critical work on audio. For that matter, even for listening to a favorite album on good speakers!

In thinking about treating a standard bedroom upstairs...it hit me that maybe I should think about taking my home theater and somehow creating a one room studio/theater out of it. Rather than using the bedroom upstairs for mixing, try and dual purpose the room downstairs, since it larger and not being used for living space.

So aside from the possible issues of how to make it work for a theater and computer/mixing room at the same time, let me ask this.

Will a 10'x12' basic bedroom have inherently WORSE acoustic issues than a
16'x25' room in the lower level of a house have? Will the larger room just have different issues, but equally as bad?

Would the larger room sound better by default and require less severe correction since the rear wall is twice as far away?

Other items that make the theater less standard of a room:
The home theater has a soffit in the ceiling in the middle of the room, which breaks up the flat ceiling a bit.
It has a brick fireplace along the left front wall which is covered by large panels of theater felt in framed dra[ery panel I built.
I built these to make the room look symetrical when your looking at the 9' screen in the front.

Would the screen at the front of the room cause an issue? The front of the room is where the speakers would be with the screen behind them.

I will post some graphical layouts in a day or so. Whats a good free program for that?
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Would the screen at the front of the room cause an issue? The front of the room is where the speakers would be with the screen behind them.
The screen is going to be the last thing to worry about. I would spend a bit more time getting up to speed on how room acoustics work before jumping in with both feet. You can start with the following primer. The second link has a bunch of videos that talk about room treatment in general.
Room Acoustics Primer - GIK Acoustics
Educational Videos - Acoustic Panels | Bass Traps | Diffusors | GIK Acoustics

BTW yes a larger room is always better. The only draw back is it might cost more due to more over all square footage, but in the end will yield a better room.
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
mczx
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
The larger room is vastly better than the smaller room. More useful advice here:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
Thanks, I have been reading many of these articles to gain a basic understanding.
mczx
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
The screen is going to be the last thing to worry about. I would spend a bit more time getting up to speed on how room acoustics work before jumping in with both feet. You can start with the following primer. The second link has a bunch of videos that talk about room treatment in general.
Room Acoustics Primer - GIK Acoustics
Educational Videos - Acoustic Panels | Bass Traps | Diffusors | GIK Acoustics

BTW yes a larger room is always better. The only draw back is it might cost more due to more over all square footage, but in the end will yield a better room.
Ok understood. Yes I have been reading/watching those acoustic primers and its above the minimum recommended cubic footage.
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

16x25
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

What is the height of the 16x25' room? If it's 8' that's a bit of a bummer since 2x8=16 and 3x8=24 and that's not ideal for modal distribution. Regardless, I spent a fiar bit of effort treating a 15.5 x 23' control room and it was a joy once it came together.
mczx
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncamorea View Post
What is the height of the 16x25' room? If it's 8' that's a bit of a bummer since 2x8=16 and 3x8=24 and that's not ideal for modal distribution. Regardless, I spent a fiar bit of effort treating a 15.5 x 23' control room and it was a joy once it came together.
My actual measurements came in differently, it's posted in another thread.

I have a home theater room that is 278.5" Long / 170" Wide and 95" high.
It is more than the recommended 2500 cubic feet. 23.21 ft long 14.17 ft 7' wide 7.92' high

It was not as bad as 16 and 8 exactly. Slightly under 8' high and well under 16' wide.

Can you list what treatment you did, the cost and if any measurements were done pre and post? How would you describe the improvement if no measurements were done?

I have decided to dual purpose the room "rationalizing" that the money spent on making the audio good for recording, will also help the home theater the same way.
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mczx View Post
Can you list what treatment you did, the cost and if any measurements were done pre and post? How would you describe the improvement if no measurements were done?
The room had horrible flutter echo, so dealing with that was the first order of business, just to be able to hear what the next worst problem was. So I threw up a bunch of home-made tube traps that were later replaced with broadband absorbers covered with slats.

The room was measured numerous times during the process. Most of the empty-room modal behavior looked predictable and the stuff that didn't make sense may have been due to the room having a cathedral ceiling. It was ~9' tall at the back wall, rising to a bit over 11' at the peak, then down to ~10' at the front wall. The room had a really long decay when measured empty, possibly due to the cement floor and rigid walls, with no windows on the long walls, none on the front wall and only a metal door on the back wall.

Eventually, the front wall was treated to about 80% coverage with deep broadband traps. A cloud was hung and it probably had too much absorption initially. The home-made tube traps were redistributed and the room was getting fairly dead but was sounding much better. At this point, we did some extensive testing and found that a mode in the ~45Hz range was the major LF problem. The owner wanted a couple of Helmholtz absorbers built, so I built a couple that were ~30 cubic feet each. Those had little effect on the mode, so next I built two that were about 200 cubic feet each and spent much more time fiddling with the tuning and eventually, they did the trick. We spent quite a bit of time working on rear wall diffusion at that point and people started smiling.

I then tweaked by adding slats to about 60% coverage on the broadband traps and ~40% on the cloud. Additional devices (abfusor style) were built to go behind the monitors as a final tweak. Unfortunately, I no longer have any of the photos or measurement data. The PC I had them on was killed by a lightning strike and the only other copy was deleted when the owner sold the property. The waterfalls looked good but I don't think they would blow you away. Likewise, the ETC was nothing to write home about but no major problems were seen in it.
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mczx View Post
23.21 ft long 14.17 ft 7' wide 7.92' high [/B][/I][/I]
That is about the size of my room which is 25.75 ft long, 15.5 ft wide, but with a vaulted ceiling that is 7.5 ft high on the ends and 8.75 ft high in the middle. Your length to width ratio is very close to the golden ratio of 1.62 to 1. So your ceiling I expect to cause the most problems.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search