setting a rehearsal room
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

setting a rehearsal room

Hi all,
I'm new here and I need some suggestions of how to setup my new rehearsal room. I just joined a metal band and they have 2 guitar amps and 2 drums set, although they only use 1 set (the other set belongs to another guy). I'm gonna place the PA system very soon. Right now the configuration of the room is as shown in the attached figure.
What would be your suggestions of how to setup the rehearsal room?
Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
setting a rehearsal room-rehearsal-room.jpg  
Old 28th December 2012
Gear Guru

The room looks pretty small so I would just set it up so everyone can see each other. 2 drum sets?
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

^ 2 drums set because another guy is paying us to keep his drum set in the room, so he can practice too.

Would you re-arrange the configuration we already have? Where would you place the PA system? in front next to the door or in the back next to the drums set?
Old 28th December 2012
jwl
Lives for gear

Biggest thing, imho, apart from eye contact is to get the low end right. I'd put the drum kits and the bass amps in the corners of the room, at the right distance out from the corner to give the best low end response. The drums are close, but I'd angle them a bit.

With the PA speakers, the main thing is to place them so that everyone can hear, but you avoid feedback.....
Old 29th December 2012
Might be an idea to use some self powered wedge monitors. Conventional small PAs used as Vocal PAs in small rehearsal rooms tend to be a recipe for feedback, and the vocalists often can't hear themselves. You could also convert a small PA into a mono vocal PA using one of the channels as the monitor for the vocalist on the floor like a wedge (often cheap stand mount PA boxes are designed to work both ways, eg: mackie, but with a few concrete blocks and some carpet or foam you can probably get pretty much anything to rest on its side at an angle), and the other side on a stand facing away from the vocalist for everybody else to hear. In the 1960s and 1970s it was common for the vocalist to have a mono backline amplifier much like a guitar amp to sing through at live shows.
Old 30th December 2012
Gear interested

Thank you for your reply. We'll try the floor monitors but for now we're gonna use the speakers mounted in a stand. I'm gonna try first placing the speakers next to the door and see how it sounds.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search