Double stud wall - stop insulation falling out
thedeadzeds
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear interested

Double stud wall - stop insulation falling out

Guys,

With this design (see attached), how do you stop the insulation falling out of the side that is not covered with drywall? Can you for example staple some cloth to it?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Double stud wall - stop insulation falling out-double-wall.jpg  
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeadzeds View Post
Guys,

With this design (see attached), how do you stop the insulation falling out of the side that is not covered with drywall? Can you for example staple some cloth to it?
Insulation is designed to press fit and not fallout with any more support.

Andre
thedeadzeds
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear interested

But it does fall out, especially if you sections need to be cut it or you have left over bits which you can use rather than buy more. I've used rock wool in a previous project on a single wall construction and if it did not have a layer of osb on either side of the frame, there is no way the insulation would not fall out.
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Insulation is designed to press fit and not fallout with any more support.

Andre
Andre speaks the truth Zeds, maybe your studs are too far apart? If you have some really long nails you could hit the odd one thru to pin the slab in place or you could use some netting like this stuff
http://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/L...rt-Netting.htm

It really should hold on its own though!

Andre
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

you can staple packing straps, insulation mesh, twine, etc to provide a backing so even with vibration and any settling the insulation will not fall away into the air cavity and remain in full contact with the drywall.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
Well, we have demolished our 25 year old studio and there were big gabs in the rockwool from sagging and also from bulking outwards. There were a lot of places in which the rockwool wasn't touching the plasterboard at all. In our new build we have attached fabric with small wood slats to the back of the wall.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear addict

The local bigbox home improvement stores around here carry a wire product that's precut to fit 16" on center stud and designed to hold insulation in place. Not sure what it's called, but I'm think it was right around US$10 for a package and I decided to DIY and hold my insulation in with custom cut chunks of acoustic drop ceiling tile instead. This allowed me to make a nice fit and caulk everything to a good seal, but I was later told by the folks at GS that the ceiling tile inside the wall was a waste and I didn't need it.

Like Glen said, anything you can rig up to keep the insulation in place will do.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Stagger the studs (instead of aligning them) and fill the bays with insulation - as long as you do not over stuff the insulation there is no issue with entire bays being filled front to back.

Rod
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search