Login / Register

A bit of advice for my treating my room.
New Reply
Subscribe
Bonecage
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear interested

A bit of advice for my treating my room.

I am working on plans to turn my current recording space into something a little less horrible. Anyways, I worked up a quick diagram of the room I'm in and laid out a few placements I was initially thinking about. None of them are cemented, and ANY advice would be much appreciated (aside from advice telling me to use a different room).

My main concerns have to do with a couple spots in the room. In the graphic, you can see that directly in front of the area I am planning on using for the workstation, there is a little cubby and a window. Also, at the back of the room, where the door is, there is another little square space. So:

1) in the cubby with the window, do I need to be aware of any super unusual surprises this may cause? There isn't a ton of space, and the window makes it a little difficult to drop bass traps up and down the walls. It seemed to me like the first reflection points from the monitors would maybe hit on either side of that wall, so I planned to put some foam there, but do you think this whole area will cause me major problems?

2) the back of the room, where the door is, ideally I wanted a bass trap up that corner, but the doors make that impossible. Will I be able to get away with leaving that door open to alleviate some of the bass buildup, or am I way off in that thought.

I should mention that I have been mixing a while, but on a sub par setup, so my knowledge of room treatment is somewhat limited. I'm swimming through the sea of knowledge on this forum to get a foothold, but it is a bit overwhelming at times. Apologies for any ignorance I heap upon you.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

PS: Also, yes, my room is a stinking mess right now, and my wife is super pumped about it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf room_plans.pdf (143.6 KB, 53 views)
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Why does your handle remind me of Warren Zevon?

I suspect you will want to add treatment to that cubby because it will project sound back into the room, and I don't expect it to be kind. your treatment plan looks like a good start but I'd recommend avoiding foam and using broadband absorbers. I'd consider a free-standing portable trap in the corner with the doors. I would not expect an open door to function as an ideal bass trap.
Bonecage
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear interested

Good call on the free-standing trap. Didnt' even think about that. I'm an open book as far as foam VS broadband absorbers. I'll do some research into possible DIYs. Thanks Syncamorea.

Bonecage is the name of a spell in the video game Diablo and also my "band" name. Also, I'm a huge dork.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear addict

You know, I don't play video games often, but since the original Diablo had a large impact on me as a teenager, I decided to go out and buy Diablo III at midnight for fun the day it came out. I got home, put it in the computer, downloaded the annoying updates forever, and finally got to play it. I got my Demon Hunter to level 9 that night, and still haven't played since. I should really get on that..

Anyways, I would really suggest going with broadband absorbers as opposed to foam. You can check out this test we did comparing foam corner "bass traps" to our simple GIK 244 Bass Traps here: Comparing Foam to GIK 244 Bass Traps

Otherwise, Sync has given great advice (as usual).
jwl
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
jwl
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to jwl Send a message via Yahoo to jwl
Wish I had time for video games..... LOL unfortunately I know my personality type, and once I get sucked into a game, next thing I know 2 months have gone by and nothing has gotten done.

But regarding your room, you might experiment with flipping your setup around 180 degrees, so that the little alcove is on the rear wall. If you can make this work ergonomically, this *could* help improve your low end by breaking up the low frequency room modes associated with the rear wall. For more detail on this, see RealTraps - Rear Wall Treatment Strategies
This would also necessitate a strategy for the front left bass trap where the door is, ie, use a trap on a stand or something.
Bonecage
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

Unfortunately, putting the on the desk on the opposite side is not an option. It would block my closet. Could I theoretically get a similar reduction in bass if I used my current setup but open that closet door? It would then be adding an extra rectangle of space to the area, and it is filled with clothes and such.

Also, one more question. If nobody ever sits in with me, and the only position I care about achieving balanced sound is seated at my desk, will that affect the amount/types of treatments I need, or is it the same deal across the board?
jwl
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
jwl
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to jwl Send a message via Yahoo to jwl
Understood. Most closet doors don't have much mass to them, so much of the sound will go right through the door anyway. You can experiment to see if opening/closing the door helps or not. The door is likely to reflect higher frequencies, so you can spot-treat that as needed. Again, an improvement in the bass response is what we are listening for.

In general the same deal across the board.... bass traps improve the sound everywhere, and creating a Reflection-Free Zone at the mix position is essential for all listeners -- in this case just you.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonecage View Post
Unfortunately, putting the on the desk on the opposite side is not an option. It would block my closet. Could I theoretically get a similar reduction in bass if I used my current setup but open that closet door? It would then be adding an extra rectangle of space to the area, and it is filled with clothes and such.

Also, one more question. If nobody ever sits in with me, and the only position I care about achieving balanced sound is seated at my desk, will that affect the amount/types of treatments I need, or is it the same deal across the board?
I think the set up you have listed is fine. You may though want to download the following program and test to find the best location for your speakers and setting spot. You may find just move forward or back a bit helps things a lot. Treatment with bass trapping is important as the treating the early reflection points are also important, but where you sit and where the speakers are equally as important.
Room EQ Wizard Tutorial - GIK Acoustics
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
Bonecage
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for the assistance guys. I have a measurement mic in the mail so I can analyze my situation (with Room EQ Wizard) before I start adding a bunch of stuff. Going to be a lot of adjusting to do as I am getting real monitors for the first time as well.

I can't wait to get all this set up and smoothed out. I'm so tired of mixing on some Altec Lansings with a subwoofer from 1995. I'm going to be absolutely crushed if I've built this whole thing up too much in my head

I feel like I've worked ridiculously hard to achieve almost all of my mixes, and I just hope this helps me improve at the process.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear addict

Wonderful!

When you've done the tests, post them here so people can comment on them.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search