Help With Home Studio Acoustics!
Old 27th December 2012
Gear interested

Help With Home Studio Acoustics!

Hey! I am heavily interested in Studio recording and have constructed a small home studio (see attached). I realize that to get a good sound from my recordings (drums/guitar/vocals) I need to consider bass traps, foams and panels but I have NO idea what to buy.

I found 8x sheets of 1.2m long 2" pyramid foam for $250, would that be good? If so where should i place it? Where should i put bass traps (specifically not just corners :P) or panels?
I have moved my drum kit to where i think it sounds best, and have recently placed wooden flooring as I assume it will give me a greater ambience to the room?
The mixing desk is right next to the drums, i haven't got my drum mics set up in the picture.
Measurements of the room are L6.5 x W3.3 x H2.4
ALL HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED! Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Help With Home Studio Acoustics!-photo.jpg   Help With Home Studio Acoustics!-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 27th December 2012
Gear addict

Hey Mitch,

First off, that rug is AWESOME.

Continuing on...I would suggest moving your desk/mixing set up - likely to the wall on the opposite side of the drumset (so the speakers are playing at the drums). More on positioning here: Monitor Positioning in Room Setup - GIK Acoustics

I also would recommend checking out some real bass traps instead of foam. Foam will only dampen the higher frequencies but won't affect low frequencies in the room. If you'd like to see a comparison between foam bass traps and our GIK 244 bass traps, check out this test: Comparing Foam to GIK 244 Bass Traps

I would recommend treating the room for monitoring via catching early reflections with broadband panels and using thick absorbers in the corners, while spot treating around the drumset. I would likely experiment with placement around the drumset to be sure you're getting the best recordings!
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

Hey thanks for the response! I love the rug too haha

Would 6 broadband bass traps in each corner do the job? And if i was to purchase them how far up the wall should they be?
Old 28th December 2012
Gear addict

Hey Mitch,

That would be a good starting point. It will give you ones to get the corners taken care of along with a couple for first reflection points. For now, I would recommend centering them at ear height (so about 14" - 20" off the floor depending on your position). Eventually, when budget permits, I would recommend going floor to ceiling with traps in the corners.
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

Old 28th December 2012
jwl
Lives for gear

If those are made from real acoustic foam, then they might be effective. Most foam bass traps are too small to work at bass frequencies, but if these really are 600mmx600mm then that's large enough to have some effect.

However, without knowing which manufacturer they are from -- and whether or not that manufacturer is reputable with published specifications of performance at bass frequencies -- it's impossible to tell how effective they will be.
Old 28th December 2012
Gear addict

Hey Mitch,

I was suggesting 6 panels that were 1200mm in height would be a good start. Those foam blocks are only 600mm, so only half the amount I would suggest starting with. Also, they are a good size compared to most foams so they many be beneficial, but we're skeptical of some foams from tests we've done. I would only purchase them from a company that has got their products tested at a laboratory so you know how well they will work for bass frequencies. See our following test with foam corner bass traps vs our GIK 244 Bass Traps here: Comparing Foam to GIK 244 Bass Traps
Old 1st January 2013
Gear interested

Okay thanks heaps for your help! Ill look into some high quality bass traps and move my setup around abit
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search