Login / Register
 
My acoustic treatments are done! Whew!!!
New Reply
Subscribe
chrisguitarguy
Thread Starter
#1
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #1
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 29

Thread Starter
chrisguitarguy is offline
My acoustic treatments are done! Whew!!!

#2
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
jim1961's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,109

jim1961 is offline
Very nice appearance. Well done!

Any measurements?
#3
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #3
Gear addict
 
GIK Acoustics's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA & Bradford, UK
Posts: 439

GIK Acoustics is offline
I've already addressed your post in another forum, but I'll go ahead and post a "good job!" here as well!
__________________
Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics USA | (770) 986 2789
GIK Acoustics Europe | +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)
LSP
#4
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
  #4
LSP
Gear addict
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Inman, SC USA
Posts: 447

LSP is offline
Looks great! Is that a basement?, and if so, what is your ceiling height?
chrisguitarguy
Thread Starter
#5
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
  #5
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 29

Thread Starter
chrisguitarguy is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1961 View Post
Very nice appearance. Well done!

Any measurements?

Thank you very much!

The space, or acousically?

The physical space is 15' X 23' X 8' for the LR and 9' X 13" X 8' in the control room. Past the control room the LR opens up to (rounded) 25'.The rooms have not had a test done acoustically since the treatments went in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIK Acoustics View Post
I've already addressed your post in another forum, but I'll go ahead and post a "good job!" here as well!
And I will thank you in this forum as well, I appreciate the encouragement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSP View Post
Looks great! Is that a basement?, and if so, what is your ceiling height?
Thank you!
Yes, it is in the basement, the ceiling height is 8' with 6" of OC 703 100% though out the ceiling.
#6
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 
jim1961's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,109

jim1961 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisguitarguy View Post
.The rooms have not had a test done acoustically since the treatments went in.
I would think you would want to before starting to record anything.
LSP
#7
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
  #7
LSP
Gear addict
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Inman, SC USA
Posts: 447

LSP is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisguitarguy View Post
Yes, it is in the basement, the ceiling height is 8' with 6" of OC 703 100% though out the ceiling.
Seeing what you've accomplished is definitely encouraging. I will be moving into a basement home in the coming year(offer accepted,.. just have to sell my current home first), with plans on expanding my studio into the basement.

I'm most concerned with my ceiling though. It is a drop ceiling and measures around 7'6". I've been able to look under the existing tiles, and it appears that I'll be able to raise the entire ceiling by about 6", making it 8', if need be.

I am curious though, is your finished ceiling made from standard drop ceiling hardware, with 703 panels wrapped and used in place of the normal ceiling tiles, or was the entire design custom?

I believe I've read on this forum that one could use thick layers of pink fluffy above a low drop ceiling in order to give the acoustical "illusion" of a higher ceiling. I assume you went with the 703 for the same reason, but perhaps better performance?

Would it be OK to PM you to discuss the costs involved in your basement studio conversion? What you've accomplished is exactly what I am hoping/planning to do when I get into my new basement home.

Thanks and congratulations again on your new studio!

Marc
chrisguitarguy
Thread Starter
#8
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
  #8
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 29

Thread Starter
chrisguitarguy is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1961 View Post
I would think you would want to before starting to record anything.
I think you are correct, I need to have it tested again.
chrisguitarguy
Thread Starter
#9
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
  #9
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 29

Thread Starter
chrisguitarguy is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSP View Post
Seeing what you've accomplished is definitely encouraging. I will be moving into a basement home in the coming year(offer accepted,.. just have to sell my current home first), with plans on expanding my studio into the basement.

I'm most concerned with my ceiling though. It is a drop ceiling and measures around 7'6". I've been able to look under the existing tiles, and it appears that I'll be able to raise the entire ceiling by about 6", making it 8', if need be.

I am curious though, is your finished ceiling made from standard drop ceiling hardware, with 703 panels wrapped and used in place of the normal ceiling tiles, or was the entire design custom?

I believe I've read on this forum that one could use thick layers of pink fluffy above a low drop ceiling in order to give the acoustical "illusion" of a higher ceiling. I assume you went with the 703 for the same reason, but perhaps better performance?

Would it be OK to PM you to discuss the costs involved in your basement studio conversion? What you've accomplished is exactly what I am hoping/planning to do when I get into my new basement home.

Thanks and congratulations again on your new studio!

Marc
On my ceiling I ripped out the drop ceiling. I used furring strips and attached them directly to the beams in a grid pattern. I went with 703 because that is what Gavin Haverstick's plans had called for. And yes, you can PM me with questions. Good luck on your build!
LSP
#10
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
  #10
LSP
Gear addict
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Inman, SC USA
Posts: 447

LSP is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisguitarguy View Post
On my ceiling I ripped out the drop ceiling. I used furring strips and attached them directly to the beams in a grid pattern. I went with 703 because that is what Gavin Haverstick's plans had called for. And yes, you can PM me with questions. Good luck on your build!
Hey Chris,.. I sent a PM but I can't see it in my "sent" messages,.. so I'm not sure it will get to you. Let me know if you don't see it.

Thanks,
Marc
chrisguitarguy
Thread Starter
#11
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
  #11
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 29

Thread Starter
chrisguitarguy is offline
Per request, this is how I did my ceiling.

The space started out with a drop ceiling, I decided to rip it out and start fresh. After I ripped it out, I went through and made sure all the mechanical things (electric, plumbing, HVAC) were in order and properly buttoned up. Then came the hard part, I took OC 703 and individually cut each piece to fit up in between the joist (3 times to get 6"). This was a 100% coverage deal, and it was a long nasty process. The joist hung down 7 1/2", so it gave me 1 1/2" of space to do the next step. The issue that I thought I may have in the future, was 703 working its' way loose and falling after the fabric was up. So, I took some nice framing nails, and went about every foot on both sides of the joist to support the 703 in the future if need be. I then took furring strips and screwed (the only nails used in this entire project was tge ones I just mentioned for 703, everything else got screws) them directly to the joist (I didn't decouple). I gridded it out so the fabric (36"), would land perfectly on the width, I ran them 48" long (running furring strips across the other way). I also made sure the lights would fall in the middle of the fabric. After the furring strips were up, I took 1"x10"s and cut them to length and attached them to joist, I made sure they were the same height as the furring strips. I cut holes in the 1"s for the lights. I mounted the lights through the 1"xs, that made the lights perfectly level with the furring strips. I then took a electric stapler, and a pair of metal bending pliers, I then stretched the fabric as hard as I could and stapled it to the furring strips. At that time, I had the electric to the lights off, and the light fixtures removed. After it was covered, I cut around the holes for the lights, and then re installed the light fixtures. They look like they are mounted on drywall (they look perfect). I then took some 1 1/2" x 1/4" trim, and covered all the staples up. The end result looks like a finished ceiling, no one knows its fabric unless I point it out.


I hope this helps!
LSP
#12
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
  #12
LSP
Gear addict
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Inman, SC USA
Posts: 447

LSP is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisguitarguy View Post
Per request, this is how I did my ceiling.

The space started out with a drop ceiling, I decided to rip it out and start fresh. After I ripped it out, I went through and made sure all the mechanical things (electric, plumbing, HVAC) were in order and properly buttoned up. Then came the hard part, I took OC 703 and individually cut each piece to fit up in between the joist (3 times to get 6"). This was a 100% coverage deal, and it was a long nasty process. The joist hung down 7 1/2", so it gave me 1 1/2" of space to do the next step. The issue that I thought I may have in the future, was 703 working its' way loose and falling after the fabric was up. So, I took some nice framing nails, and went about every foot on both sides of the joist to support the 703 in the future if need be. I then took furring strips and screwed (the only nails used in this entire project was tge ones I just mentioned for 703, everything else got screws) them directly to the joist (I didn't decouple). I gridded it out so the fabric (36"), would land perfectly on the width, I ran them 48" long (running furring strips across the other way). I also made sure the lights would fall in the middle of the fabric. After the furring strips were up, I took 1"x10"s and cut them to length and attached them to joist, I made sure they were the same height as the furring strips. I cut holes in the 1"s for the lights. I mounted the lights through the 1"xs, that made the lights perfectly level with the furring strips. I then took a electric stapler, and a pair of metal bending pliers, I then stretched the fabric as hard as I could and stapled it to the furring strips. At that time, I had the electric to the lights off, and the light fixtures removed. After it was covered, I cut around the holes for the lights, and then re installed the light fixtures. They look like they are mounted on drywall (they look perfect). I then took some 1 1/2" x 1/4" trim, and covered all the staples up. The end result looks like a finished ceiling, no one knows its fabric unless I point it out.


I hope this helps!
Thanks for the detail Chris! Now I can "see" how you accomplished your ceiling.

I am curious though as to the amount of impact noise coming from the floor above. Since there was no decoupling, I would think it would still be significant.

Well, at least for me, as I have a couple of children that sound like a heard of elephants when they're upstairs and I'm downstairs! lol

Also, if I understood you correctly, you used the 1"X10" boards to cover the bottom of the joists. Did you go with wood/fabric to cut down on reflections off the ceiling?, as opposed to just using drywall, and perhaps using clouds as needed? If so, does the fabric really stop any unwanted flutter echoes, comb filtering effects of an otherwise hard ceiling?

Thanks again Chris for taking the time,

Marc
chrisguitarguy
Thread Starter
#13
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #13
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 29

Thread Starter
chrisguitarguy is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSP View Post
Thanks for the detail Chris! Now I can "see" how you accomplished your ceiling.

I am curious though as to the amount of impact noise coming from the floor above. Since there was no decoupling, I would think it would still be significant.

Well, at least for me, as I have a couple of children that sound like a heard of elephants when they're upstairs and I'm downstairs! lol

Also, if I understood you correctly, you used the 1"X10" boards to cover the bottom of the joists. Did you go with wood/fabric to cut down on reflections off the ceiling?, as opposed to just using drywall, and perhaps using clouds as needed? If so, does the fabric really stop any unwanted flutter echoes, comb filtering effects of an otherwise hard ceiling?



Thanks again Chris for taking the time,

Marc
Isolation from upstairs wasn't a concern for me, but the sound was cut down tremendously. So, if isolation from upstairs is a concern, I would get insight on that from some of the others here.

The 1"x boards were only 14" long, and just where the lights are. They were just mounting boards. The reason I chose boards for the light mounts and not drywall , is because the staples work better in wood. The ceiling itself is just covered by fabric, there is nothing between the fabric and 703. So, there is really no flutter or echo.
LSP
#14
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #14
LSP
Gear addict
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Inman, SC USA
Posts: 447

LSP is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisguitarguy View Post
Isolation from upstairs wasn't a concern for me, but the sound was cut down tremendously. So, if isolation from upstairs is a concern, I would get insight on that from some of the others here.

The 1"x boards were only 14" long, and just where the lights are. They were just mounting boards. The reason I chose boards for the light mounts and not drywall , is because the staples work better in wood. The ceiling itself is just covered by fabric, there is nothing between the fabric and 703. So, there is really no flutter or echo.
Ah, makes sense now, thanks. After your input, I started more searching knowing that I'll need additional decoupling for my ceiling. I found this on another popular site: John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum • View topic - Critique my ceiling design please...

It looks similar in concept, but with much more isolation in mind. It also looks to me to be EVEN more of a pain in the a** than you said yours was! Might be just the ticket for me though.

Thanks again Chris for taking the time,

Marc
chrisguitarguy
Thread Starter
#15
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
  #15
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 29

Thread Starter
chrisguitarguy is offline
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
J-P / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
14
dee why / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
10
Dr. Cuso / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
17
hollywood_steve / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
9

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.