Login / Register

Best Acoustic company or bundle to go for?
New Reply
Subscribe
Joey333
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear Head

Send a message via MSN to Joey333
Best Acoustic company or bundle to go for?

I've a small studio, and need both the control room and live room treated, I was looking at RealTraps and primeacoustic on vintageking,
my budget is £2,000.
Thanks
Joe
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear nut

www.ccproductions803.com
www.facebook.com/ccproductions803
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

I would also point you at GIK. If you don't have a measurement mic, check them out. You can get a decent one for ~100 USD and a great one for 300-500. The point is, if you are not going to have an acoustician come into your room and measure as the process proceeds, you need to be able to make good measurements to feed the files to the acousticians at GIK, Realtraps, etc.

Your available funds are sufficient to have a real impact on your rooms. I'd recommend you make accurate measurements of the dimensions of the rooms. The devil is in those details.
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncamorea View Post
you need to be able to make good measurements to feed the files to the acousticians at GIK, Realtraps, etc.
Measurements aren't really needed to know how to treat a room. I've advised on the treatment of thousands of rooms, often with nothing more to go on than some photos. Measuring is useful to help optimize speaker placement, and it lets you assess the improvement after adding bass traps and other treatment. But the same basics apply to all rooms: Bass traps in corners, and broadband absorption at reflection points. The main reason I like to see photos is to be more specific about what goes where and how things will fit.

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Measurements aren't really needed to know how to treat a room. I've advised on the treatment of thousands of rooms, often with nothing more to go on than some photos. Measuring is useful to help optimize speaker placement, and it lets you assess the improvement after adding bass traps and other treatment. But the same basics apply to all rooms: Bass traps in corners, and broadband absorption at reflection points. The main reason I like to see photos is to be more specific about what goes where and how things will fit.
Sure, Ethan, you can take anything to extremes. For example, I could tell people to bass trap the corners and that's going to turn out to be good advice for a significant number of individuals. But what do we see right here on GS, over and over? People that are well into the treatment process that still have measurable and audible issues to deal with. As I've mentioned repeatedly, I like to listen and measure in order to correlate. It's the way I choose to learn.

To put it another way, I know of studio designers that keep their designs in their own wheelhouse, so to speak. So they work with dimensions, materials and methods that are well known to them. And guess what? As their build moves towards completion, there they are, in there measuring away and saying: "Every room is different". Do you think you can achieve true LEDE performance by just seeing an iPhone snapshot then telling people what traps to put where?
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscc803 View Post
Contact Glenn at GIK Acoustics great people and great prices.

Acoustic Panels | Bass Traps | Diffusors | GIK Acoustics

Nicole
If he is in Europe (which I believe he is) then I would recommend looking at our European site. We have a plant in the UK which ships throughout Europe. And just a note with a £2,000 budget he would get free shipping.
GIK Acoustics Europe, Bass Traps, Acoustic Panels, Diffusors
For help with room set up I recommend filling out the following form which gives us the info we need to help with set up.
GIK Acoustics: Room Setup
The following page is a video on using REW and measuring your room, if you like.
Room EQ Wizard Tutorial - GIK Acoustics
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

jwl
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
jwl
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to jwl Send a message via Yahoo to jwl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncamorea View Post
Sure, Ethan, you can take anything to extremes. For example, I could tell people to bass trap the corners and that's going to turn out to be good advice for a significant number of individuals. But what do we see right here on GS, over and over? People that are well into the treatment process that still have measurable and audible issues to deal with. As I've mentioned repeatedly, I like to listen and measure in order to correlate. It's the way I choose to learn.

To put it another way, I know of studio designers that keep their designs in their own wheelhouse, so to speak. So they work with dimensions, materials and methods that are well known to them. And guess what? As their build moves towards completion, there they are, in there measuring away and saying: "Every room is different". Do you think you can achieve true LEDE performance by just seeing an iPhone snapshot then telling people what traps to put where?
I don't know what you mean by "true LEDE performance" but after having treated thousands of rooms, then yes, in most cases seeing photos of the room is enough to know what to suggest to maximize results within the working budget.

Don't get me wrong, I will never say "don't measure your room," but many of my customers are greatly intimidated by that process. And in general, no matter where the specific response problems are in a given room, the solution is always the same: more bass traps = flatter frequency response.

For the vast majority of my customers, budget and available physical space in the room are the 2 biggest limiting factors. In such cases, I will be able to identify placement for the most important traps -- corner bass traps and first reflection absorption panels are no-brainers for nearly every room. Then, with the remaining panels, I will sometimes walk the customer through a few listening tests to determine best placement for the remaining panels.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search