Table, Desk or own construction???
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear nut

Table, Desk or own construction???

Hi All,

A bit of a weird one.

I need a new desk/table for the control room.

I have the option of a table that is in our kitchen, or to build something.

The kitchen table is very sturdy but as it has extensions that can be pulled it it is very thick as these reside underneath the main surface and are slid out when needed.

The computer desks i have seen in all of the shops around here are all either too long or too deep, i cannot seem to find one the right size.

I currently have a desk which is way too big, and i am told that this is not helping with the reflections.

As my room has big problems below 500 HZ and a weird dip around 1 - 2 KHz, i was wondering what should i look for and what should i stay away from material wise, or would it even make a difference?

Thanks in Advance,

BB
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear addict

i'm currently in the middle of building a custom desk, and it's a blast, it's custom to my needs, maximizes the space i have, and probably saving me tons of money.

before i start work on this i had been a carpenter's help for about a year and didn't know much about woodworking. now i think i want keep going and build all of my racks and gear stands too.

if you've got the skills and the tools i vote for DIY.
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

d.i.y. if you have the skills and the right tools. even if it costs more, in the end you will have a product your happier with.

take the table in the mean time, plan out your set up and build your desk to reflect the best layout.
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear nut

Thanks guys. I will take the table for now and see how it compares.

I don't have the DIY skills for a table (but i know a couple of people that do) so it will give me some time to do a bit more research.

Thanks again.
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano Bean View Post
Thanks guys. I will take the table for now and see how it compares.

I don't have the DIY skills for a table (but i know a couple of people that do) so it will give me some time to do a bit more research.

Thanks again.
even if you had to pay someone to do it, the end result would be far superior then any off the shelf unit or kitchen table substitute.

just plan out a layout and measurements to give to the person who does it.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search