Floor and Ceiling questions for new structure
New Reply
Subscribe
lunar151
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Gear Head

Floor and Ceiling questions for new structure

Hello, Im about to break ground on a Live/Control room setup on my parents property. I will be using the Ethan/Wes design. Concrete slab foundation or crawl space foundation with wood joists on concrete piers? Isolation is not an issue, since it will be just one room(edm production with occasional acoustic drum tracking and elec guitars. Also, im having trouble making sense of their ceiling construction, the measurements, fiberglass, insulation, and such is not making sense to me construction wise.

Any thoughts? Im pretty excited about this, life long dream
lunar151
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Gear Head

I think at this point, Im just going to pour a 1'x1' perimeter foundation, 6" in ground, 6" above and run a support beam down the middle, and run joists on top with 1" plywood for the flooring. Keeping it low profile to the ground. Running joists at 16" on center will make for a solid floor I would assume.
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Bad idea... solid slab would be much better, with 12"-16" turn downs and 4"-6" in the field, decent sized wire mesh (4x6-ish) on saddles.

Leave 4" above ground, put a french drain around the perimeter.

Using 16" OC floor joists will just end up making a dandy resonant "drum head".

Coupla' things to ponder...

Where will you bring in power?
What will you use for HVAC/fresh air?
Have you pulled permits?

The finished studio: www.darkpinestudios.com

Studio build blog; dm mobile.com

A Rod Gervais designed studio
lunar151
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear Head

Thanks for the reply, I was trying to get away from ordering a concrete truck but I guess Ill go ahead and do that. If I just poured a perimeter foundation I could get away with getting a couple one yard buggies. As far as permits, I would love to pull one but my parents house has been added and added on through out the past hundred and fifty years and if I pulled one I was afraid the county would bust my parents. The dimensions are on the smaller side, 11'x21' roughly(its trapezoidal)
lunar151
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Gear Head

Wes Lachot Design || Studio Design and Acoustic Consulting

Ok, I think i finally figured out what wes means when he talks about the ceiling. Since isolation is not an issue, "fluffy" fiberglass inbetween the joists with fabric covering and holding the fiberglass between the joists? 8' exactly from floor to bottom of joist? Then heavy card stock where the cloud wouldnt be. what does he mean when there will be extra fiberglass in the corners?
lunar151
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear Head

Ok, now I understand the ceiling construction of the design Im building, see link I posted above. Wes says to put 1' of fiberglass stuffed inbetween the ceiling joists and the 8' measurement will be from the floor(concrete slab) to the rigid boundary above. If I use 2x12 ceiling joists(to help keep the fiberglass uniform) and put a layer of osb on top of the joists(rigid boundary) to seal the room in, That makes my room 7'. Seems low right? But I guess like Ethan said, 95% of the ceiling is fiberglass at that point.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search