The Foam Factory (foam by mail) test data
sad computer
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear maniac

The Foam Factory (foam by mail) test data

Hello, long time lurker here.

I was looking at a couple old threads about this foamfactory company out of michigan that sells 'acoustic' foam on the cheap.
Ethan Winer had done some tests of their foam and found it to be basically useless, but i'm wondering specifically which of their products was tested.

The test specs on the foamfactory website indicate that their 4" wedge foam is pretty much exactly as effective as the Auralex brand 2" wedge foam.

That being said, 24 sq ft of the foamfactory 4" stuff is $56 on their website. Compared to $99 for 24 sq ft of auralex 2" wedge (so, same absorption, half cost)

Compare the following test reports:
http://www.thefoamfactory.com/acoust...Wedge-Foam.pdf
http://www.auralex.com/testdata/test/2wedge.pdf

The reports look a little too similar..

Thoughts?
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear Guru

sad computer
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear maniac

Hi Glenn,
I'm a little unsure which product you tested against your own.
The product i was referring to is the 2'x2'x4" foam wedge panel, seen at the bottom of this page: sound proofing deadening, acoustic insulation foams, echo elimination, home studio soundproofing foam,

I know foam of any kind can't compete with rigid fiberglass panels, nor could large quantities of it could replace fiberglass bass traps.
What's interesting to me is how these specific brands of foam compare to one another. If the foamfactory test data is legitimate, then it's far more cost-effective for mid/high frequency absorption than auralex.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear Guru

I used there wedge and I believe Ethan did also
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear nut

Hey Sad Computer, I thought I’d chime in on behalf of our company. Last year we had our acoustical treatment foam tested by Riverbank Acoustical Laboratories, who are an independent, third-party testing company. Additionally, we purchased and tested similar Auralex products to provide a side-by-side performance comparison. We’ve made the results from Riverbank available which it seems you found, as well as some comparisons between the products. (Link to Test Results).

You are correct in that different products serve different purposes, but we do stand behind the results of the testing, which measure up well to the Auralex. If there's anything else you want to know about our testing, Riverbank, or our treatment products, I’d be more than happy to help – PM me or shoot us an e-mail or phone call!
sad computer
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
I used there wedge and I believe Ethan did also
Could you please tell us the thickness of the wedge that you used? My entire post hinges on the fact that their four inch foam is as effective as the auralex two inch. Your article does not mention the thickness of the materials tested, and in this case it's quite important.

Right now its looking like one could get the same absorption at half the cost, the only downside being that you'd have an extra 2" of wedge coming out of your walls.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear Guru

It was with the triangle shape ones. I think something like 13"x13"x18".
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear Guru

sad computer
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear maniac

Ahh so you were testing against the corner type foam.
Well, I wouldn't expect foam to be of much use in corners, maybe it would work nicely
behind a broadband panel straddling the corner.

Any other thoughts about this 4" wedge panel foam vs the auralex 2" equivalent?
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

Are you intending to use the foam for broadband absorption?

The 4" thick cheap foam perfoms a better than the 2" Auralex foam in the lower end of the spectrum, as one would expect with the additional thickness. Neither one of them perform nearly as well as the absorbant materials used in "proper" broadband absorbers (OC703, rockwool).

If you're just trying to knock down some high end issues in a room already treated with good bass traps and broadband absorption, then foam is effective. Otherwise, I recommend spending your money on products that will be more effective. Saving money is often a big concern in acoustic treatment, but if you spend money on products that don't do the job, it's a waste.
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

This was done w/ 'cheap eBay foam'...:

16th September 2013
Old 16th September 2013
Gear interested

Just for the record as I have no opinion on the quality of Foam Factory's products one way or another.......
I ordered (24) 2" wedge acoustical panels from them a few days back and then read some not very flattering posts on Gearslutz relative to their products.
Called up Foam Factory and spoke to a rep and they cancelled my order no hassle or attempt to dissuade me otherwise, and are also sending me a free sample to test.
I haven't received the sample yet and realize this doesn't in and of itself prove anything as to the quality of their products. It does however suggest they don't seem to back away from giving a potential customer a chance to "try before they buy", which I think everyone would agree is a positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad computer View Post
Hello, long time lurker here.

I was looking at a couple old threads about this foamfactory company out of michigan that sells 'acoustic' foam on the cheap.
Ethan Winer had done some tests of their foam and found it to be basically useless, but i'm wondering specifically which of their products was tested.

The test specs on the foamfactory website indicate that their 4" wedge foam is pretty much exactly as effective as the Auralex brand 2" wedge foam.

That being said, 24 sq ft of the foamfactory 4" stuff is $56 on their website. Compared to $99 for 24 sq ft of auralex 2" wedge (so, same absorption, half cost)

Compare the following test reports:
http://www.thefoamfactory.com/acoust...Wedge-Foam.pdf
http://www.auralex.com/testdata/test/2wedge.pdf

The reports look a little too similar..

Thoughts?
17th September 2013
Old 17th September 2013
Lives for gear

fwiw, my first preference is not foam by any measure. but when i looked at their site six or more months ago, they seemed to have a lot of lab based testing on their products so it would appear they have gotten the message from the hammering they've gotten over (what must be) the last 6-7 years and perhaps the acoustic foam market is big enough now that the costs associated with the testing are worth it for them.
17th September 2013
Old 17th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullfo View Post
fwiw, my first preference is not foam by any measure. but when i looked at their site six or more months ago, they seemed to have a lot of lab based testing on their products so it would appear they have gotten the message from the hammering they've gotten over (what must be) the last 6-7 years and perhaps the acoustic foam market is big enough now that the costs associated with the testing are worth it for them.
+1........

Although it seems to me a lot longer than 6 years ago when I contacted them about the product they were selling at that time (they did have absorption numbers published on their website for their products - however a careful examination of those numbers revealed they were identical to the Auralex products.)

I do not believe their product today is manufactured from the same material as it was back then.......

That having been said - I never use foam in anything I design either.

Rod
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search