lunatic_77
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear nut

First room treatment ever, advice?

Name:  Screen shot 2012-12-19 at 13.40.23.png
Views: 420
Size:  171.7 KB

So, here is how my room looks. I have collected enough gear so far, to finally concentrate on building my desk and treating my room. I will need some advice from you guys. The black thing in the middle is supposed to be my chair.

I have windows on the left (top in the picture) and molton curtains. Behind the record shelf on the right the wall is hollow and will fill it up with rockwool.

I'd like to treat the wall behind me (left on the picture) which is totally empty for now. This is dry wall and i have a piano player in the room next to me, so i am thinking of treating the wall entirely. Then i want to build two basstraps in the corners.

As well I'd like to treat the ceiling in the middle of the room, right over my head.

Have a forgotten something? Would you consider placing things different (not a lot of space)? I am monitoring with Event TR 8 XL & Yamaha HSM80.

Looking very much forward to your replies!
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear
Please post the room dimensions including the height. The sketch makes it look pretty square. If that's correct, I would consider facing the windows. I don't understand what the "hollow" is you speak of.

Having a large surface of glass on one side is a concern for sure. The first reflection on your left will be very different from that on the right. Plan on building or buying quite a bit of bass traps.
lunatic_77
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear nut

The Room is 5x5 meters in dimension, the height is 2,5 meters. I can not build in front of the windows, because this would cover all heaters and it gets quite cold here in germany. I was thinking about covering the middle window though.

By hollow i mean that the wall is empty inside, so i will take of the inner housing, fill the cavity with rockwool and put it back on, before movind the record shelf to this wall.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear Guru

If I understand you right, filling the wall is not going to do much for the room acoustics unless you plan on filling it with rockwool then put only fabric (or a slate design) in front of it.
Basically you want to bass trap as many corners as possible, cover early reflection points and use THICK absorption for the back wall.
The Basics of Room Acoustics: Bass Traps, Diffusion, Panels - GIK Acoustics
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

I would first try and face the windows (speaker right up against them) or possibly the opposite wall assuming you can accept to cover the windows (completely or at least partially at the important area) with treatment (broadband absorption or diffusion + low frequency absorption, depending on design concept):

4m x 5m x 2.5m room - modal resonance problem
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
I would first try and face the windows (speaker right up against them) or possibly the opposite wall assuming you can accept to cover the windows (completely or at least partially at the important area) with treatment (broadband absorption or diffusion + low frequency absorption, depending on design concept):

4m x 5m x 2.5m room - modal resonance problem
Plus one
lunatic_77
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear nut

I don't want to face the windows, because this will totally block the heating. The place is an old office building and most people there don't use the heater at all. This makes it quite hard to get acceptable temperatures in my room.

As suggested i might cover one window totally, maybe even two of them. Is there a way i could make this work with the current orientation?
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatic_77 View Post
I don't want to face the windows, because this will totally block the heating. The place is an old office building and most people there don't use the heater at all. This makes it quite hard to get acceptable temperatures in my room.

As suggested i might cover one window totally, maybe even two of them. Is there a way i could make this work with the current orientation?
It still will work but might not be as well as facing the window. If anything I would flip to the left wall.
lunatic_77
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear nut

Hey Everybody, thanks very much! I now have bulit my new desk facing the windows and it was a very good choice! The acoustic already is a lot better and more homogenic.

Next will be then wall behind me, which will get filled with rockwool and get a fabric cover. I will post fotos with some more questions soon. Until then have a look at my new desk
Attached Thumbnails
First room treatment ever, advice?-imag0777.jpg  
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Everybody, thanks very much! I now have bulit my new desk facing the windows and it was a very good choice! The acoustic already is a lot better and more homogenic.

Next will be then wall behind me, which will get filled with rockwool and get a fabric cover. I will post fotos with some more questions soon. Until then have a look at my new desk
Congratulations and thank you for the update!

Andre
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
If you’re not afraid of a relatively dry response, this might be a good option but I would first recommend to do some measurements before deciding on treatment so you know about your modal issues. You room is big enough for alternative options other than broadband absorption only:

1D diffusor - vertical or horizontal?
lunatic_77
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear nut

Thanks guys! I do not have a lot of space left, take a look at the drawing in my first post.

What I want to do in any case is broadband absorption with rockwool behind me. I also have 1x1,5 meters basotect field, that is going to hang above my position on the desk. As well i will build two bass traps for the corners behind my working space.

I think the records already do a quite good job as diffusors and I will not have any space on walls left after installing what i have planned...
lunatic_77
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Gear nut

So, i have measured the room. Unfortunately i do not have the frequency responses with me on my holiday, but i hope you guys can help anyways. The curve looks quite alright, but i have a few (audible) issues. First, i get a big peak (+12dB) at about 70Hz. Before (65 dB) and after (85dB) the curve goes down about 10 dB. I have found how to build specific traps for those frequencies, but i don't think I'll have space for two big things...

On the other hands i get a lot of phasing in the upper spectrum. My idea is to sort this with basotect absorbers above my mix position and a bradband absorption on the wall behind me. Will this help? This is how the studio is set up by now:

The Room Size is: 5.25 x 5.25 Meters, height: 2.93 Meters. The shelves on the left and right are stacked Ikea Expedit. Height on the window side: 2.5 meters and on the wall side: 1,85 meters.
Attached Thumbnails
First room treatment ever, advice?-screen-shot-2013-03-25-12.59.48.jpg  
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Lives for gear
How tall are your record shelves? The wall/ceiling corner is a good place to trap with a big soffit if your vertical corners can' be trapped.
lunatic_77
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Gear nut

I have added the heights of room and shelves! I'll also have some space on the back of the room where the couch is. Behind this I plan to do broadband absorption (will this help with the phasing?) and above that, there could be room for a trap on the whole width of the room. Anyways, I think a non frequency specific basstrap will not help a lot, right?
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Anyways, I think a non frequency specific basstrap will not help a lot, right?
Broadband is better than nothing. Also look at VPRs.
lunatic_77
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncamorea View Post
Broadband is better than nothing. Also look at VPRs.
Sorry for being such a noob, but what are VPRs?
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, i have measured the room. Unfortunately i do not have the frequency responses with me on my holiday, but i hope you guys can help anyways. The curve looks quite alright, but i have a few (audible) issues. First, i get a big peak (+12dB) at about 70Hz. Before (65 dB) and after (85dB) the curve goes down about 10 dB. I have found how to build specific traps for those frequencies, but i don't think I'll have space for two big things...

On the other hands i get a lot of phasing in the upper spectrum. My idea is to sort this with basotect absorbers above my mix position and a bradband absorption on the wall behind me. Will this help? This is how the studio is set up by now:

The Room Size is: 5.25 x 5.25 Meters, height: 2.93 Meters. The shelves on the left and right are stacked Ikea Expedit. Height on the window side: 2.5 meters and on the wall side: 1,85 meters.
Where is your listening position vertically and front to back?

Andre
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Gear Guru

Just scanned the thread real quick so sorry if this has been said, but you need to make sure to treat early reflection points, left, right wall and ceiling. I know you have the book shelf in the way but maybe hang panels in front of take out the records out of a few of the shelves and fill them with fiberglass.
Video Early or First Reflection Points - GIK Acoustics
lunatic_77
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Where is your listening position vertically and front to back?

Andre
Right in front of the desk, where the keyboard is!
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Right in front of the desk, where the keyboard is!
Arrgh! Dimensions!

Andre
lunatic_77
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
Just scanned the thread real quick so sorry if this has been said, but you need to make sure to treat early reflection points, left, right wall and ceiling. I know you have the book shelf in the way but maybe hang panels in front of take out the records out of a few of the shelves and fill them with fiberglass.
Video Early or First Reflection Points - GIK Acoustics
Hey Glenn, thanks! I was thinking the records do a good job as diffusers. To fill a few shelves with fiberglass/rockwool though is a good suggestion!
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hey Glenn, thanks! I was thinking the records do a good job as diffusers. To fill a few shelves with fiberglass/rockwool though is a good suggestion!
A book shelf "might" be better then a bare wall but it really does not diffuse in the true sense. Also for the early reflection points diffusion is generally not recommend. You want to kill those points the best you can. See the following about diffusion.
How Diffusion Works - GIK Acoustics
lunatic_77
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Arrgh! Dimensions!

Andre
Sorry! I can only say it roughly as i am on holiday. The illustration is on scale though.

Vertically at 2.6 meters (so in the middle) and 3,6 meters from the back wall. So it is about 1.6 meters from the window.
lunatic_77
19th April 2013
Old 19th April 2013
Gear nut

So here is what the frequency response looks like! I would be very happy for suggestions on how to remove those valleys in the 50 and 80Hz range.
Attached Thumbnails
First room treatment ever, advice?-imag1034.jpg  
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search