A headache to remember(Basement studio build)
Old 15th December 2012
Gear maniac

I'm wanting to get the supplies for these gobos soon if anyone could chime in on rather or not this is a good design.
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

I've not built gobo's myself, but that seems like a pretty typical design, should work fine. The insulation you choose will have a large effect on how well it works on the dead side, some of the guys here can give better advice on the best choice than I can!
Old 16th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Suitcase View Post
I've not built gobo's myself, but that seems like a pretty typical design, should work fine. The insulation you choose will have a large effect on how well it works on the dead side, some of the guys here can give better advice on the best choice than I can!
Awesome that's good to know. I'm sure they'll work fine just would like some more input before I commit.
Old 19th December 2012
Gear maniac

Going to start building these Gobos today! Just picked up all the materials will post some photos later.
Old 30th December 2012
Gear maniac

Ok here's some photos of the gobo build! This is just the first one but the other 2 will be identical.
Building the 1x8 frame around the plywood

After the dry wall and 1x2 where put in

Insulation and air gap

Fabric and trim installed

Also got some new lamps for the live room!

So now 2 more left to build!
Old 31st December 2012
The gobos looks great! Hopefuly it does the work to!
Old 12th March 2013
Gear maniac

Haven't updated in a while. Nothing too major has changed. Had to put some of the bigger builds on hold awhile to start recording a few projects I had booked. So far everything is sounding great!

Here's some updated pics. Like I said nothing major. Got all the wiring ran permanently through the walls from the CR to LR and a few other small projects.
Attached Thumbnails
A headache to remember(Basement studio build)-img_4870.jpg   A headache to remember(Basement studio build)-img_4878.jpg  
Old 12th March 2013
Gear nut

Dude, I am diggin' the basement vibe!
Old 12th March 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lallymonster View Post
Dude, I am diggin' the basement vibe!
Thanks man! So far I'm really liking it here. Still allot to do though!
Old 12th March 2013
Gear maniac

Ok so I have a question pertaining to my HVAC. I haven't really had much issues with noise unless im using ribbons or something in figure 8. So I'm looking for the best way of quieting down my hvac unit when its on.

The Inside walls where the HVAC is is unfinished. With no insulation or drywall up on the inside and a regular 2x4 frame with dry wall only on the outside. I know obviously the first place to start is still fill the wall with insulation and put up dry wall on the inside of the closet but I want to make sure to do it in a way that will produce the best results.

Here's a layout of the room with the live room being right off to the left(see first page for bigger picture)
There's also a photo of the outside of the HVAC closet facing the stairs

There's also the issue of the drop ceiling. The wall stops right above where the drop ceiling sits outside or the closet leaving an air gap. I imagine even if i put insulation and drywall up that this would also be letting out allot of sound.

And then there's the stairs. I thought maybe just blocking off the access to underneath the stairs may be the best bet. Framing up a small wall and insulating it. Or I could just stuff allot of insulation under the stairs.
Attached Thumbnails
A headache to remember(Basement studio build)-hvac.jpg   A headache to remember(Basement studio build)-2012-08-24-15.18.13.jpg   A headache to remember(Basement studio build)-0312131027.jpg   A headache to remember(Basement studio build)-wall-ceiling.jpg   A headache to remember(Basement studio build)-stairs.jpg  

Old 12th March 2013
How does the gobos work. The look like the they will absorb sound really good, I'm thinking of building something similar for my new studio that I'm moving to in april.
Old 13th March 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niklas_J_Blixt View Post
How does the gobos work. The look like the they will absorb sound really good, I'm thinking of building something similar for my new studio that I'm moving to in april.
It actually works really well. I haven't had the chance to track any 2 people live to see how it does with isolation between instruments. But it does a great job of taming the open room down a bit for a more controlled and focused sound.
Old 14th March 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
I would start with measuring the control room to figure out what is going on, if anything. Above the drop ceiling, if it does not have it already, I would stack fluffy fiber glass up there to make the ceiling one big bass trap.
for testing.
Room EQ Wizard Tutorial - GIK Acoustics

For the live room I would put some panels above the drums to take away reflections from the ceiling.

I would not use a booth as it only produces a small room sound. You could use it for scratch vocals but use the large room for the main tracks.
Ok so after not being able to get REW to work with my Mac and Saffire mixcontrol I stumbled upon fuzzmeasrue. Not sure if i did this correct but this is what I got on my first measurements.
Attached Thumbnails
A headache to remember(Basement studio build)-first-test.png   A headache to remember(Basement studio build)-waterfall.png  
Old 14th March 2013
Gear maniac

Here's a more accurate test. I just realized I had a pre amp emulation on my liquid 56 so it wasn't actually flat. Here it is with a flat response. You can see a much bigger peek around 20hz
Attached Thumbnails
A headache to remember(Basement studio build)-test-2.png   A headache to remember(Basement studio build)-test-2-waterfall.png  
Old 18th March 2013
Gear maniac

So any input based on the graphs provided?
Old 19th March 2014
Gear addict

I know this thread is a year old.. Almost to the day
But I just wanted to ask about the gobo's. When you did the fabric, did you wrap it around the frame then do yet another layer of 1x8's to hide the wrapped fabric edge? And I'm assuming you used a nice wide piece of fabric so that you only used one piece..
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search