Login / Register

Need help to tune my control room. (First Measures Included)
New Reply
Subscribe
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejandro Varela View Post
I' m going insane! Too much information!!!!!
I'm buying Rockwool panels in this size:
1 x 1 x 0.1 mts with 100Kg/cm density, are this OK?
Ok, to ease your mind, just forgett about 19Hz for a moment. It can be that the walls, or the wardrobe behind you, or the floor that is vibrating that you see in the measurement at 19Hz. It has to be determend if it is a first axiall modal resonaces or not at 19Hz.

Measure all of your corners with the mic pointed at the corners.....and post the result here. In another word, map your room.
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
How I solve this? Bass Traps (Rockwool)? Where?
How to identify those reflections?
Desired Acoustic Response? Should I choose?
You are asking very good question here.
Alejandro Varela
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
Ok, to ease your mind, just forgett about 19Hz for a moment. It can be that the walls, or the wardrobe behind you, or the floor that is vibrating that you see in the measurement at 19Hz. It has to be determend if it is a first axiall modal resonaces or not at 19Hz.

Measure all of your corners with the mic pointed at the corners.....and post the result here. In another word, map your room.
Thank you. Going to measure!
Alejandro Varela
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear maniac

Backing... I could identified a lot of noises and ringings. Most were resolved.... (Inclusive Left Speakers back screws!!!)

Here my corners specs:
Corners.zip

Letters used in medition are in this sequence
A-B Front L & R
C-D Rear L & R
Attachment 320541
Alejandro Varela
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Backing... I could identified a lot of noises and ringings. Most were resolved.... (Inclusive Left Speakers back screws!!!)

Here my corners specs:
Views: Size: ">Attachment-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-320591

Letters used in medition are in this sequence
A-B Front L & R
C-D Rear L & R
Views: Size: ">Attachment-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-320541
I made better (?) new measures. I think previous had a bad connection at Right Channel.
Corners 2.zip
Sorry about this.
Alejandro Varela
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear maniac

Bump!
Alejandro Varela
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear maniac

One more question. Which Rockwool density is better to Bass Trap?
I phoned to shop and they tell me they use 50Kg/m3 for acoustic works.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear Guru

the 50 should work fine. If the panels are going to be REALLY thick you can use less dense which should cost you less per sheet/pack.
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
Alejandro Varela
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
the 50 should work fine. If the panels are going to be REALLY thick you can use less dense which should cost you less per sheet/pack.
Density: 50Kg/m3
Thick: 5cm
Size: 1m x 0.60m
Pack: 7.2m2 = 12 panels
Price: Around u$ 115

Should I use double panels?
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear Guru

At minimum you want to double them. If you have to the funds to buy more then I would triple the depth or better. If budget is low then double and cover as much corner area as possible. Over all though you want to cover as much corner area as possible. May it be 10cm or 15+cm
Alejandro Varela
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
At minimum you want to double them. If you have to the funds to buy more then I would triple the depth or better. If budget is low then double and cover as much corner area as possible. Over all though you want to cover as much corner area as possible. May it be 10cm or 15+cm
Great. Thank you very much!
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I made better (?) new measures. I think previous had a bad connection at Right Channel.
Attachment 320642
Sorry about this.
Hallo...Thanks for the measurements in the corners.

As I suspected, according to your room dimension, width and lenght, here you have your first axiell modal resonaces and peaks at around 50Hz in your room.

The choice of the basstrapp has to reduce the peaks and ringing and the changes has to be seen in the measurement, namely, reduced peak and ringing in that particular corner where the basstrap is gonna be.

Now, you have to try different basstrapps like, MLV, VPR, Helmholtz resonators, rockwool, broadband absorbers and so on, to see what's works best.

Report back when the ringing and peaks has been reduced in the corner.

Good luck
Alejandro Varela
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Hallo...Thanks for the measurements in the corners.

As I suspected, according to your room dimension, width and lenght, here you have your first axiell modal resonaces and peaks at around 50Hz in your room.

The choice of the basstrapp has to reduce the peaks and ringing and the changes has to be seen in the measurement, namely, reduced peak and ringing in that particular corner where the basstrap is gonna be.

Now, you have to try different basstrapps like, MLV, VPR, Helmholtz resonators, rockwool, broadband absorbers and so on, to see what's works best.

Report back when the ringing and peaks has been reduced in the corner.

Good luck
Thank you all!!!
Really, it's amazing to have you as Teachers. My Control sounds much better today than last week, without any bass trap yet. My Rockwood will be at home next Thursday. Then I'll take more measures and upload..

Regards!!!

See you
Alejandro Varela
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Gear maniac

Ok, I made this measures with Bass Traps on all 4 corners. (Every panel is presented to measure only) I made another measure from listening position, with sub-low at minimum.

NW8 Corners 3.zip

I hadn't too much time to hear it, but I noticed something had changed but...
Seeing graphics seems better, some bass had been reduced, but other frequencies looks louder.
Can someone explain me if my "new" control room looks better or worst and what I need to make it better?
How it looks a perfect room in REW?
Alejandro Varela
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciro View Post
.... , very controlled down to 32hz (do you really need this sub?)

And of course, you need treatment for early reflections.
I am thinking if I should sale my sub-low!!
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

Hallo..

Could you provide some picture of your room?

Well, if you ask me, I don't see much difference compared to before. There is still resonaces around 35Hz and 55Hz in all of the corners. As you see, the pressure is much higher in the corners then at the LPosition, if you take that preassure down in the corners then you will gain that suckout at around 80-200Hz at your LP. You have to fix this first.

When you say, I have put the absorber in all corners, do you mean inside the wardrobe and at the door.

Did you measure the corners with the bass trapps installed? It seems that those absorbers is not having any effect below 100Hz.

I am not seeing the result I am looking for. To me, you can be without those absorbers you have put in the corners. Take them out of the room and the result is the same.

Look at this...
My room
Alejandro Varela
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Hallo..

Could you provide some picture of your room?

Well, if you ask me, I don't see much difference compared to before. There is still resonaces around 35Hz and 55Hz in all of the corners. As you see, the pressure is much higher in the corners then at the LPosition, if you take that preassure down in the corners then you will gain that suckout at around 80-200Hz at your LP. You have to fix this first.

When you say, I have put the absorber in all corners, do you mean inside the wardrobe and at the door.

Did you measure the corners with the bass trapps installed? It seems that those absorbers is not having any effect below 100Hz.

I am not seeing the result I am looking for. To me, you can be without those absorbers you have put in the corners. Take them out of the room and the result is the same.

Look at this...
My room

Wow, my room don't look so pretty than yours, (yet ).
I had presented 4 panels in each corner. 2 panels down & 2 panels up in 45º oblique, total 2 meters high double sized (10 cm) and made measures. My rockwool has a black layer, maybe this affect?
I like this pic http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/...twins1/CSD.jpg
This is where I need to go, isn't it?
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow, my room don't look so pretty than yours, (yet ).
I had presented 4 panels in each corner. 2 panels down & 2 panels up in 45º oblique, total 2 meters high double sized (10 cm) and made measures. My rockwool has a black layer, maybe this affect?
I like this pic http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/...twins1/CSD.jpg
This is where I need to go, isn't it?
About my CSD plot, you schould aim for it.
Alejandro Varela
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Gear maniac

Well finally today I taked some pics.

Need help to tune my control room. (First Measures Included)-b-corners.jpg

Need help to tune my control room. (First Measures Included)-b-corner.jpg

Need help to tune my control room. (First Measures Included)-c-corner-entrance.jpg

Need help to tune my control room. (First Measures Included)-d-corner-doors.jpg

Need help to tune my control room. (First Measures Included)-b-front.jpg

Need help to tune my control room. (First Measures Included)-d-corner-ceiling.jpg

Need help to tune my control room. (First Measures Included)-through-window.jpg
Alejandro Varela
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Hallo..

You have to fix this first.
It seems that those absorbers is not having any effect below 100Hz.

My room

What can I do?
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

First check McTwins credentials here on GS, it won't be long before he talks you in to buying varitunes. His measurements of his room couldn't be checked by other experts because he won't send them the files. So don't see his results as a reachable outcome.
Alejandro Varela
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demor View Post
First check McTwins credentials here on GS, it won't be long before he talks you in to buying varitunes. His measurements of his room couldn't be checked by other experts because he won't send them the files. So don't see his results as a reachable outcome.
I don't know what to think... He was one of a few (not the only) who wrote in my thread... If he is posting fake XP and "helping" people like me, why don't you ban him?
HELP ME Santa!!!!
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demor View Post
I have NOT said what kind of treatment Alejandros have to use, it is entierly up to Alejandros choice what kind of treatment he want to use. He can buy whatever treatment he wants.

I am only commenting Alejandros measurement.

I invite anybody to do a measurement in my room and see for yourself.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know what to think... He was one of a few (not the only) who wrote in my thread... If he is posting fake XP and "helping" people like me, why don't you ban him?
HELP ME Santa!!!!
You don't have to think very hard on this, I have shown some example of my measurement and you can make your own decision wheather it is good or not.

I'll be back to post in this thread when you have fixed those resonaces and tamed the freq response, I will let you know when it is all good.

There are lots of experts here in this forum who can help you.

Good luck
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Hallo..
To take those modal resonaces won't work below 100Hz with absorbtion, you need huge depth to take 19Hz resonance. Install some absobtions and do some measurements before and after and see for yourself. It will only effect 100Hz and above.
While I agree that 19 Hz would be difficult to fix with porous absorption, it can certainly do very well below 100 Hz. All of our products that we've tested work great under 100 Hz, even our 244 Bass Trap (if it didn't, we wouldn't call it a bass trap). And when straddling corners, you can get great bass absorption.

I would recommend doing thicker traps in the corners if you can. Something similar to our TriTraps (superchunks) or Soffit Traps (square superchunks). Large porous absorbers like these work really well for reducing decay times. I would recommend treating any remaining low-frequency resonances (likely those around 30-40 Hz) with tuned absorption if its needed.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIK Acoustics View Post
While I agree that 19 Hz would be difficult to fix with porous absorption, it can certainly do very well below 100 Hz. All of our products that we've tested work great under 100 Hz, even our 244 Bass Trap (if it didn't, we wouldn't call it a bass trap). And when straddling corners, you can get great bass absorption.

I would recommend doing thicker traps in the corners if you can. Something similar to our TriTraps (superchunks) or Soffit Traps (square superchunks). Large porous absorbers like these work really well for reducing decay times. I would recommend treating any remaining low-frequency resonances (likely those around 30-40 Hz) with tuned absorption if its needed.
Yes I understand, but Alejandro allready have trapps and there is no difference between before and after in his measurements.
Alejandro Varela
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIK Acoustics View Post

You said that those Soffit & TriTraps Traps will reduced low freqs and I get a better decay absorption? Is guaranteed? How to build it? I can't go to your shop and buy it (I live in Buenos Aires) Are any DIY link of those traps?

Thanks
Alejandro Varela
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear maniac

I made a google search and found this:
http://swbg1.tripod.com/center_brace.jpg
(thanx Home theater Shack)

Will this have effective results in my corners?
I don't want to cut my rockwool in triangles to obtain same results!
Alejandro Varela
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear maniac

I'm stuck. Don't know what to do in my treatment. Please HELP!!!
16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Look for the location of the offending freqs with a SPL meter. Make the superchunks as advised and you will see improvement. The traps you have already just isn't enough. And remember, there are 12 corners in a room.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search