Login / Register

Please help me treat this room professionally enough to mix in?
New Reply
Subscribe
Markm
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Gear interested

Please help me treat this room professionally enough to mix in?

Hi there,

I just moved, and have set up a studio setup in a room in the new place. I produce, mix, and master Electronic Dance Music professionally, so for this reason, I need to set up this room as accurately as possible. I tried to put up the Primacoustic London Kit which is basically a bunch of 2 inch fibreglass panels, but even after applying to the corners I am getting a big boost of bass on a specific note frequency. The wall on the right side also comes out towards the front of the room and door part just under a foot. Room is very boomy currently. I need to get the room sounding good enough to mix in. It's practically a square :(. Pictures are attached below. The walls are straight, don't let the panoramic iPhone pic fool you! Hope you can help me, really would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Room Dimensions:
width 10 ft 1/2 inch
length 11 ft 1 inch
ceiling 10 ft
Attached Thumbnails
Please help me treat this room professionally enough to mix in?-photo-4.jpg   Please help me treat this room professionally enough to mix in?-photo-6.jpg  
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

What is your budget? Your room is nearly cubical and that means it's difficult to treat well because room mode in the bass and midbass result from the dimensions of the space. To get the best from a room that size, you will need a large investment in bass traps. Even if you hired one of the best studio designers in the world, the dimensions would limit the result. Many designers recommend a minimum of 1500 cubic feet.

BUT: pay your dues with respect to bass traps and you may be surprised at the amount of improvement you can get as compared to untreated. Read up on limp mass vinyl and VPR traps. Good luck!
mml
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
mml
Gear addict

If you don't own this new space, move. This will never sound good. It would be cheaper to move than to treat the room. That said, get some of those prime acoustics corner bass traps in all corners and maybe a couple more of the wall ones on each side. If that isn't enough, there are active tunable bass traps out there that you can set to a specific room mode frequency. Expensive, but effective.
http://www.bagend.com/ETrap.htm
mml
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
mml
Gear addict

Those corner panels aren't going to do much. You really need the limp mass corner traps stacked two high in all the corners, and then probably the active bag end etrap for the room mode bump. And a cloud over the mix position.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search