Organising your gear!
chaosgow
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear maniac

Organising your gear!

I'm currently re-decorating my bedroom which happens to double as my studio. I've got a new layout based on my monitor and gear locations.

It's a really awkward room and I don't really want to get into that right now, I'll get into treatment once I'm happy with everything else - Since it's an area I spend most (90% since it's also my office) of my time.

I'm struggling for ideas to keep everything organised. I've got about 6 pairs of headphones that I use a lot, a hundred cables, a bunch of mics, guitar pedals, patch cables... All the stuff that's not in a fixed place that you need to be able to grab without searching for it.

For me, there's nothing more dusrupting than looking for something that I need. If I'm in a creative mode and I need to try a different mic, different pedal, grab a cable ect.. I need it asap and I need it to be intuitive. If it's not in its place (and I'm a lazy f***er), I get annoyed and lose my flow.

So, the question -

How do you guys organise your gear?

Pictures will help a lot!

I'd love to see pics of the way you store headphones, cables, mics, pedals ect for easy reach while recording. I'm sure I will benefit from it and everyone else could too!

It's also a great excuse to show off your great gear
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear
I try to have comfortable spaces to do the stuff. Seriously. I do ITB and hybrid so I have the desk set up with all the important stuff in close reach. I do quite a bit of remote and live so I keep optimizing that setup, trying to keep the mass and volume down. If you don't use some of your stuff often, find a place nearby to store it. Reduce the clutter so you have good ergonomics for the things you do.
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

Put away at each session end. It is part of the session. I know it is easy to just leave and the next day to continue on. This is fine for the home studio but after a few days you got to tidy up. Junk soon piles up. It is easy to be lazy and just do what you want when you are on your own and what we do is create, so some disorder occurs. I am as guilty as the rest of us.

Have a big bucket for stuff (cables etc) that requires repair so your not picking up the same broken lead.

Repair table. I use an old portable playing cards table. It is already padded and I just lay a blanket of some old limp mass I had left over, over it
I have a simple g clamp for a guitar neck jig and a soldering station set up. I just pull out and unfold the table as needed. You got to pack it away when done or it becomes a junk collector.
For junk, I take it out to the tin shed out back to get around to one day.
It is a fact of life you have to repair the tools you use.

When you work alone since loosing my Studio space and relocated in a spare room of the house you become a space utilization manager.! Haha

Have the things you use the most closest is good ergonomics. I like my guitars on the left on stands. Requiring repair go on wall hangers.
I just have a shallow computer desk in front of a large backless bookcase. for monitoring. I can pull the desk out further when mixing (on rollers). Behind it is thick foam diffusers.

I keep my Rack to the right containing all my outboard gear. On the wall to the right of the rack I have hooks for all the different types of connections on a gobo. I do have a patchbay divided into Pre and Mix chain patches

Vocals are done on headphones and I just hang it on the rack with an old guitar stand section, but a rubberized hook would do.

Mine is mainly a one man show but I do have guests from time to time and an extra pair of h'phones comes out of the cupboard on the rear wall stuffed with books
Bass traps in the corners and the mid band diffusers are actual gobos and I can get a balance in the room for mixing. This is when I do my clear up mostly.
I would just put safe rubber backed hooks on these mid band absorbers which are on stands and can be moved around. Or your wall.
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

I built a 3- inch thick mineral wool panel and instead of covering it with fabric, I used pegboard and now use it for all the cables and headphones.

I also recommend those kensington trackball mouses so you don't have to move the mouse all over the desk. I am sure there is more cool ideas that I have seen at other studios to enhance the workflow and ergonomics of the studio life.
chaosgow
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Gear maniac

That's the kind of thing I wanted to see. So I can create my own ideas based on what you guys have done

Any more pics or ideas?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search