studio remodel need advice on acoustic treatment
New Reply
Subscribe
Lukas101
17th November 2012
Old 17th November 2012
Gear Head

studio remodel need advice on acoustic treatment

Hey guys im in the middle of remodeling my studio and im looking for some advice on acoustic treating my live room and control room ive already built a couple of bass traps and i plan on making more soon. Ive attached a design of my entire basement to show you guys what im working with and what im thinking of doing.Ill probably need more bass traps from what i have in the picture but im somewhat limited as my live room is also part of my living room. Also my entire basement has carpet and the ceiling is drop-ceiling with fiberglass tiles. Any feedback or suggestions would be really appreciated thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
studio remodel need advice on acoustic treatment-studio.jpg  
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

What are you trying to accomplish with your studio, acoustically?
Lukas101
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear Head

i basicly wanna just tighten things up and get rid of some of the echo without making the room to dead. Its pretty good already as it is im just looking for opinions or suggestions for improvement. I dont know a whole lot about acoustics
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

A good place to start is ceiling clouds. They really clean up the recording and get rid of resonance between the floor, which is usually incapable of LF absorption.
Lukas101
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Gear Head

cool ill look into that for sure. i thought i wouldn't need to treat the ceiling as much as the ceiling tiles are made of rigid fiberglass.
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas101 View Post
cool ill look into that for sure. i thought i wouldn't need to treat the ceiling as much as the ceiling tiles are made of rigid fiberglass.
That depends how absorptive they are. They should work well overall, but if you need more bass absorption, you can place floppy fiberglass batts above the panels.

I would focus on getting your mixing area symmetrical. It seems the door location is skewing the desk to the right, but you want it to be centered. What are the dimensions of that room including the door offset, and how wide are the monitors placed currently?
Lukas101
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Gear Head

the dimensions are 10 ft by 10ft i placed the desk more in the center as i read your post but its still a couple inches off as i would block the door if i move it up some more. i Could move the desk on another wall by i put in a window on this wall specifically for the studio so it would kind of completely defeat the purpose of the window. My speakers cone to cone are place 30 inches appart
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

With the speakers that close a little asymmetry is acceptable. If you sense any biasing to one side or the other and think it is affecting panning negatively, you could add absorption panels. Remember, the closer you are to the speakers, not the speakers to each other, is how the room has less effect.
Lukas101
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Gear Head

cool thanks for the advice! i ended up purchasing one of those primacoustic room kits for my control room as i dont have the time to build more bass traps for the control room. The live room/living room has three big bass traps from the floor to the ceiling like in my picture . Im gonna try it out like this and see how it works out. I think the live room will need more treatment but im gonna use what i have like gobos for now and see how it sounds.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search