Login / Register

Is 8' ceiling in recording room high enough?
New Reply
Subscribe
CAGuy
20th October 2012
Old 20th October 2012
Gear maniac

Is 8' ceiling in recording room high enough?

I'm going to be building a new studio in my detached garage in the future. I could either have a vaulted ceiling 11' (which will be a major pain in the butt to drywall) or a standard 8' ceiling that is not vaulted.
Is 8' high enough to allow the sound of strummy acoustic guitar rhythm tracks to breathe without having bass build up? The other dimensions of the room are 14' x 20'.
I appreciate any advice.
And I'm probably doubling the drywall with Green Glue between the drywall to make it sound proof. (And of course good insulation behind drywall.)
20th October 2012
Old 20th October 2012
Gear addict

Yea that's high 'nuff ha. Maybe build treatment into the ceiling, ive always wanted to reclaim lumber and make a diffuse ceiling and stain it
20th October 2012
Old 20th October 2012
Gear maniac

The room I've been recording in only has a 7'4" ceiling and is 14' x 10'.
The 14' by 20' with 8' ceilings should sound substantially better right??
CAGuy
20th October 2012
Old 20th October 2012
Gear maniac

Of course if I double drywall I'll loose an inch above and about an inch below from new flooring. Will the 7'10" ceiling sound way better than 7'4" if the rest of the room dimensions are way bigger??
20th October 2012
Old 20th October 2012
Gear Guru

IF you have the funds I would do the vaulted ceiling. But you can make 8' work and it still can sound great.
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
20th October 2012
Old 20th October 2012
Gear addict

The experts say that a 8 foot ceiling is a worse case scenario so go as high as possible.
20th October 2012
Old 20th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashez View Post
The experts say that a 8 foot ceiling is a worse case scenario...
Which experts?
CAGuy
20th October 2012
Old 20th October 2012
Gear maniac

I have a few really good ceiing mount bass traps from ASC that I could put up if I go with the 8' but I keep thinking that 11' will allow the acoustic guitars to breathe and open up. I'm going to talk to a couple drywallers soon and see how much I'm looking at to have the vaulted ceiling done. It's going to be double drywall with 5/8" and also have green glue between sheets so it will be a job!
20th October 2012
Old 20th October 2012
Gear Guru

Experts

Experts? Here? Why?
Only joshing.
I would second Glenn's view. Go with the vaulted ceiling if you can.
Acoustically better in every way but one. That is sound isolation.
There are easier opportunities to create isolation with a lower ceiling.
Rain on a roof can stop a recording.
DD
CAGuy
20th October 2012
Old 20th October 2012
Gear maniac

I'm going to use double layered 5/8" drywall with green glue between the layers. Also, I'm going to use Roxul comfort batt insulation which I've been told not only insulates but performs almost as well as 'safe & sound' insulation. I'm hoping that will stop outside noise from coming in. But I realize it will be a lot more labor too.
20th October 2012
Old 20th October 2012
Gear Guru

RC

I would recommend hanging the sheetrock off Resilient Channels, Iso Clips or such.
If you screw directly to the roof beams the rain and other LF will transmit right through.

DD
20th October 2012
Old 20th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John White View Post
Which experts?
Watch episode 40 of pensados place with Thomas Jouanjean. Great episode if you want to learn about acoustics from a big name in the business. I thought it was interesting when he said a low ceiling is very hard to treat considering all the home studios.
21st October 2012
Old 21st October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Watch episode 40 of pensados place with Thomas Jouanjean. Great episode if you want to learn about acoustics from a big name in the business. I thought it was interesting when he said a low ceiling is very hard to treat considering all the home studios.
According to their standards, I would believe so.
21st October 2012
Old 21st October 2012
Lives for gear

Yes, low ceilings are potentially more difficult to treat than higher ceilings.
That is a much different statement than "8 foot ceiling is a worse case scenario."
21st October 2012
Old 21st October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John White View Post
Yes, low ceilings are potentially more difficult to treat than higher ceilings.
That is a much different statement than "8 foot ceiling is a worse case scenario."
That's what Thomas says. Besides a tiny room what else can be a worse case scenario. You can always treat walls but you cannot create more volume. So he is probably right.
CAGuy
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear maniac

Do you guys think that just treating the vertical corners with bass trapping will be enough in this room (14' x 20' x 8')??

I'm going to put some ASC Half Rounds above where I sit to record acoustic guitar. Should I put more bass traps above where I sit to mix?

Do you guys think these room dimensions will give good results for recording vocals, acoustic guitar? I will have drums recorded at a friend's studio in California using Roland V-Drums.
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGuy View Post
Do you guys think that just treating the vertical corners with bass trapping will be enough in this room (14' x 20' x 8')??

Basically the more corner area you treat the better. Floor to ceiling in all 4 corners will help A LOT but covering more will help further a better low end response.

Quote:
I'm going to put some ASC Half Rounds above where I sit to record acoustic guitar. Should I put more bass traps above where I sit to mix?
For your ceiling height you want absorption in the early reflection point between where you sit and the monitors. See more here
Video Early or First Reflection Points - GIK Acoustics

Quote:
Do you guys think these room dimensions will give good results for recording vocals, acoustic guitar? I will have drums recorded at a friend's studio in California using Roland V-Drums.
Sure if the room is treated well enough.
CAGuy
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear maniac

Thanks for your reply. So I need absorption on the ceiling at the mixing position? Should I be concerned about absorption on the ceiling above where I sit to record my guitar and vocals? I will not be sitting in the mix position when I record my guitar and vocals and will be actually be quite a way off from the mix position.

If I put absorption above where I sit to record won't that cause the high frequencies to be absorbed and alter the tone I'm able to record?
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

If you build a vaulted ceiling where will the ceiling ventilation come from? Easiest would be not venting and using spray foam.
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
If I put absorption above where I sit to record won't that cause the high frequencies to be absorbed and alter the tone I'm able to record?
It is actually going to alter the tone to record without the reflection, which is a good thing. It can cause comb filtering.
CAGuy
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear maniac

Vaulted ceilings are not an option because the ceiling is already done now.
Now, does anyone know if florescent lighting is ever quiet? I'm not using standard single coils so I'm not worried about EMF interference but are florescent lights noisy on their own? For instance, if I install florescent lights will I hear them just standing in the room??
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear Guru

Sometimes...

The newest round of LED lighting is much superior in all ways but price.

-tINY

30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear nut

I had a similar issue with height and went with 8 foot ceilings. As I understood it (and was told by 'experts') sound works with the total room, and is indifferent to height vs. width, etc. Meaning a smaller room with higher ceilings would be similar to your larger room (in terms of width / length) with 8 foot ceilings. Treatment is a must though. Would also check your room modes before you build. There are a few online calculators you can use. As for your construction, if you haven't started yet, pick up Rod Gervais' book. From the thread it looks like you have a pretty good idea of what you're looking to do, but I'm concerned that you think you can 'soundproof' your build. You can't. You can drastically reduce the sound that escapes (and enters) the space though.
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGuy View Post
Should I be concerned about absorption on the ceiling above where I sit to record my guitar and vocals? I will not be sitting in the mix position when I record my guitar and vocals and will be actually be quite a way off from the mix position.

My last home studio was an 8' high room that was 13'x12' and I tried doing the same as you are talking about. It's hard for me to say what specifically caused me to not like the recordings in that room but my suspicions are that it was over-treated. I had clouds for the mix position and a cloud for the tracking spot. The result? Dead. It was just lifeless. It was also a carpeted room which just sucked for trying to record acoustic guitar stuff.

I've moved though and now my new room is much better. I have 10' ceilings and a wooden floor today. The room is also larger - 15'x13'x10' - so that I have better separation between tracking + mixing spots. The new room sounds fantastic, both to me while playing and the results I'm getting. What's the difference though? Is it a better sounding room b/c it's larger? Or is it because I went with a wooden floor? Or because I chose not to put a cloud over the tracking spot? Or because I moved all the acoustic material to the "dead end" portion of the room (for mixing)? I don't really know that there is a single, silver bullet type of answer. I think it's a combination. I will say that I get great results in my 10' room tracking acoustic guitar with no cloud today and I had only "decent" results in my previous room. I don't know that there's a lesson/takeaway; just sharing my experience.

http://www.scottwhigham.com
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Gear Guru

Best

There are different types of acoustic guitar tone. From the very clear sound in a totally dead booth, James Taylorish, to the big roomy strum, Wilburyish.
A space with carpet AND cloud should deliver the former, and should be great for really clear vocals. It might sound and feel a little disappointing to the strummer though.
The classic scenario of hard shiny floor with cloud over head is probably the ideal. A rug can be rolled in whenever the extra deadness/clarity is required.
DD
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to dualflip Send a message via Skype™ to dualflip
Quote:
The experts say that a 8 foot ceiling is a worse case scenario so go as high as possible.
The expert on the post before yours just said a 8feet ceeiling can work, so I dont know which experts are you talking about, or what do you define as worse case scenario, trust me there are A LOT worse.

Post like this with random "facts" are decieving and should be deleted!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search