DIY Vocal Booth!
JBr33zymusic
10th August 2012
Old 10th August 2012
Gear nut

DIY Vocal Booth!

I am looking into making a 4x3 vocal booth, due to the fact my " studio" is in my room. I want to be able to record at anytime and not be heard by my parents. Also I want them blocked out from my sound as well! I've looked all over and can't really find anything. Can someone please tell me what I would need and how to make a nice vocal booth? Thank you! The room is about 12 x 12!
11th August 2012
Old 11th August 2012
Gear addict

Looks like this guy was planning to post plans (But I guess his website is taking a while):

11th August 2012
Old 11th August 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:

DIY Vocal Booth!
I am looking into making a 4x3 vocal booth,
umm, when is the last time you stood in a closet.
11th August 2012
Old 11th August 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Also I want them blocked out from my sound as well! I've looked all over and can't really find anything.
There is a reason you can't...it's called LOGIC.
11th August 2012
Old 11th August 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
I want to be able to record at anytime and not be heard by my parents.
Well...that's easy..it's defined as GROWING UP AND MOVE.
JBr33zymusic
11th August 2012
Old 11th August 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchfork View Post
Well...that's easy..it's defined as GROWING UP AND MOVE.
I'm 15....
11th August 2012
Old 11th August 2012
Lives for gear

Here ya go dude....

Cotton Moving Blankets - Supreme Cotton Quilted Moving Pads

Buy those and basically build a fort. Or get some cheap pvc piping and make one of these -

These blankets are used in hollywood as sound blankets for a reason. Every sound designer in hollywood has stacks of these laying around his house. They are great for blocking sound, especially the vocal range.
JBr33zymusic
11th August 2012
Old 11th August 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok Rolles View Post
Here ya go dude....

Cotton Moving Blankets - Supreme Cotton Quilted Moving Pads

Buy those and basically build a fort. Or get some cheap pvc piping and make one of these -

These blankets are used in hollywood as sound blankets for a reason. Every sound designer in hollywood has stacks of these laying around his house. They are great for blocking sound, especially the vocal range.
Thank you man! I appreciate an actual answer!
11th August 2012
Old 11th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBr33zymusic View Post
Thank you man! I appreciate an actual answer!
No problem, you'd be surprised at how well those blankets work.

Go watch a few interviews of Dr. Luke and you'll find that a lot of great pop songs in the last 3 years were recorded in a makeshift vocal booth of furnie-blankets (Britney spears, GaGa, Katy Perry, etc)..

If you decide to buy the 12-pack and you have enough blankets to double-wall your 4' x 3' space you'll have a really good vocal booth.
13th August 2012
Old 13th August 2012
Gear nut

I very much enjoyed the egg which smashed on Pitchfork's face. ????

Pitchfork: GROW UP AND MOVE
thread starter: I'm 15......
Egg thrown at Pitchfork's face: SMASH!!!!!
13th August 2012
Old 13th August 2012

Just so you know, since you said "I want to be able to record at anytime and not be heard by my parents." These packing blankets won't stop all the sound, rather, they will muffle it.

Proper sound proofing requires decoupled airtight limp mass, and is much harder to achieve, and brings extra difficulties, like the need to absorb the sound that is not escaping the booth, and the need for ventilation.

matt
16th August 2012
Old 16th August 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBr33zymusic View Post
I am looking into making a 4x3 vocal booth, due to the fact my " studio" is in my room. I want to be able to record at anytime and not be heard by my parents. Also I want them blocked out from my sound as well! I've looked all over and can't really find anything. Can someone please tell me what I would need and how to make a nice vocal booth? Thank you! The room is about 12 x 12!
It is possible to completely cancel out any audio from your room but it will cost in the 2000 range; You need 3 layers of 6.4mm sound barrier foam or more.

Your wall naturally has an STC rating of about 3; 1 layer of sound barrier 6mm+ will bring it to about STC 22; a seccond layer will bring you just over 40, at this point a sneeze is silent. a 3rd layer will bring you to an STC 60+ which is the lowest rating for a "Sound Proof" enclosure. Your parents could sleep through some serious sound with that.
Audimute sells them in rolls but I don't like their products.

in addition; not related to sound barriers.
I have seen so many people spend over $1,000 in foam to make their studios.

First week of Sept. I am going to build an 8ftx4ft Iso booth for under $1000 with sand filled flooring to cancel out vibrations from the exterior noise.

I will film every aspect of the build for you guys who think tacking foam to the drywall of your house does anything other than cancel out reverb and reflect. Bass and treble nodes are still raping your sin waves folks! Your not spending your money wisely!
16th August 2012
Old 16th August 2012

I'm not sure exactly what product the above post is referring to, but normally foam would not be an appropriate material to make a "soundproof" room, for the same reasons that blankets are not. "Soundproofing" needs to be airtight and heavy to be properly effective. Using blankets or (just) foam will only muffle.

Then again, maybe this "sound barrier foam" is not just foam at all, it may be coupled with plasterboard, mass added vinyl, plywood or something, as I said, I don't know.

A normal soundproof booth will be made out of a frame (timber or steel) and either one or two (depending on the attenuation required) sides of the framing covered in (possibly multiple layers depending on the attenuation required) heavy plasterboard or plywood, with all gaps sealed airtight, and insulation between layers. The board may be decoupled from the frame too, to raise its effectiveness in most situations. There will probably be absorption in the room too, to catch sound that is no longer escaping.

matt
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search