Back Wall Diffusers
New Reply
Subscribe
EnergyBeing
4th July 2012
Old 4th July 2012
Gear interested

Back Wall Diffusers

Is it better to have one type of diffuser on the back wall or a couple of different types?

For example, 4 of My home made diffuser in a row and 4 2D squared diffusers (2 on either side of the deep welled):

I always see 1 type of diffuser on the back wall in studio pictures, and then perhaps different types on the ceiling and side walls, e.g.

Is this the best way to apply diffusion?

I was also going to have 3 or 4 skylines on the ceiling at the back of the room, and another 4 2D squared ones on the back side walls (2 each side), keeping everything in symmetry.
4th July 2012
Old 4th July 2012
Lives for gear

The best way to apply diffusers is to first decide what kind of response you want. Once you know, the decision on what type of diffuser to add and where is not too difficult. The hard part is deciding on a design concept (assuming control room or other type of listening room and not a recording room).
EnergyBeing
4th July 2012
Old 4th July 2012
Gear interested

Thanks Jens. Can you recommend any good books on diffusion techniques?

It's for a control room (L=5.5m W=4m H=2.8m). I'll be using the RFZ methods, with absorption at the front of the room and diffusion plus bass trapping at the back. I want a nice balance without it being too dead sounding.

I'm set on 4 x 8" deep welled diffusers on the back wall, something similar to the GIK setup http://www.gikacoustics.com/images/room_layout_uk.gif

I really need to read a good book tho...
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to boggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergyBeing View Post
Is it better to have one type of diffuser on the back wall or a couple of different types?

For example, 4 of My home made diffuser in a row and 4 2D squared diffusers (2 on either side of the deep welled):

I always see 1 type of diffuser on the back wall in studio pictures, and then perhaps different types on the ceiling and side walls, e.g.

Is this the best way to apply diffusion?

I was also going to have 3 or 4 skylines on the ceiling at the back of the room, and another 4 2D squared ones on the back side walls (2 each side), keeping everything in symmetry.
Best way is to deal with back wall produced LF interference firstly.

Type of diffuser applied to back wall is mainly matter of taste and someone's budget and building skills/possibilities.

There are some rules which need to be satisfied, like minimum distance from diffuser (define lowest working frequency), and avoiding many same smaller diffusers near to each other (which produce aliasing)

Facebook: @MyRoomAcoustics
Email: boggy@myroom-acoustics.com
--"We can never see past the choices we don't understand." (Oracle, The Matrix Reloaded)
EnergyBeing
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Gear interested

Thanks guys, I will look into all of this before making a decision...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search