Feedback on room design
Tetsue
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear interested

Feedback on room design

Hello, my name is Nathan and I am a student at the Vancouver School of Arts and Academics (VSAA). I have been studying sound recording and acoustics throughout my time at this school and this year I began working closely with the instructor of the CTE Film department on building an acoustically sound space for recording multiple voices. I started out by developing a 3D model of what I believed would be a good design. After having it approved and discussed with my instructor, he began to write a grant, and I further improved my designs. We discussed where in the building would be the best place to add this room, and after deciding I reconstructed the existing space in google sketch-up. I then continued to reconstruct the space I designed within the existing space. My instructor has written a grant for funding, here is an excerpt of a description of what we are wanting to build this space for.

"...Expected Outcomes: What do you plan to accomplish with these funds? Please describe the measurable outcomes. A major goal for us is to have every single VSAA student and staff member do an audio recording of ‘their’ story in an interview format. We want to capture every single voice for an audio recording that we will compile as a “moment in time” for our students. We plan on building an isolation/sound booth for students and staff to interview and record each other. Each interview would be fifteen to thirty minutes of audio, that students would then edit down to their best three to five minute sound bite. Our goal is to have students (who love to talk), also learn how to really listen to each other. We would be able to use this sound booth in future years for continued audio and video recording and voice-over projects. This addition would greatly enhance our student’s educational experiences."

Attached are snapshots of the google sketchup project. The model with the people inside was what we envisioned the room to look like. The empty room is the post-design in which I reconstructed the original design within the space we chose to build the booth.
This is what we envisioned the room looking like. The framework is built using staggered studs.
The floor is raised 3 inches and filled with sand. The walls are slanted to remove the square shape.
The window is necessary so students can be monitored. We aren’t trying to build a make-out booth.
The vent is to show that ventilation is needed, however is not the intended model.
Drywall thickness has been accounted for and is measured for dual-layering.
There are bass traps in the corners, however we plan on constructing our own panels.
We want to be capable of recording three people speaking within the space.

The panels we plan on building will be 4" thick, and stuffed with compacted r-25 insulation and faced with cotton or burlap. They will be covering the corners from floor to ceiling.

What I'm asking for is feedback on my design, what errors have I made or what would be a better way to construct the room? This is planned to be a permanent installation in our building so I will settle for nothing less than perfection on this project.

Please ask questions to help you to better understand my design. All criticism and comments are appreciated.

Thank you, Nathan
Attached Images
Tetsue
15th May 2012
Old 15th May 2012
Gear interested

anyone have any input?
15th May 2012
Old 15th May 2012
Gear Guru

Thoughts

Why the drywall? Are you trying to increase sound isolation?
If not you could do an 'inside out' wall. i.e. install a frame of 100mm studs directly on the wall and fill with fibre, cover with fabric.
The Ceiling needs to be treated similarly to the walls.

DD
Tetsue
15th May 2012
Old 15th May 2012
Gear interested

Yeah im trying to isolate the room from 500+ middle/high school students. I wasnt sure if i should stagger the ceiling studs.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Gearslutz App
15th May 2012
Old 15th May 2012
Gear Guru

Staggered

Sure a resiliently isolated ceiling would be wise. As would all walls. And soundproof doors, and quiet HVAC.

Sound Isolation is very much more difficult engineering than Acoustic Treatment.

There are some very clear Isolation systems described here
http://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk/

DD
Tetsue
15th May 2012
Old 15th May 2012
Gear interested

Thanks ill look into that source. Im also wondering if and where i should put absorbtion and diffusion? I plan on constructing absorption panels floor to ceiling in the corners of the room

15th May 2012
Old 15th May 2012
Gear Guru

Goals

Take a Sound Level Meter into that room. Measure real life levels incoming from the 500+. Let's see how much Isolation you need realistically.
In small vocal rooms absorption is either installed everywhere or evenly distributed. Diffusion is dodgy at short distances, however Space Couplers would be nice on the ceiling.

DD
Tetsue
15th May 2012
Old 15th May 2012
Gear interested

Alrighty sounds good hahaha thanks alot

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search