Standing wave caused by window
New Reply
Subscribe
BobCooper
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Gear interested

Standing wave caused by window

I recently moved into a new studio. I've put up bass traps (corners and front and back ceiling corner) and a few acoustic panels to get rid of the flutter echo, but i'm having huge problems with a frequency boost at around 130hz, caused by the parallel glass window between the control/live room. It's driving me insane!

I've been told that the best way to fix this would be to take a pane out, and put it back in at an angle greater than 8 degrees, or use a thicker pane of glass. Is this correct?

At the moment, I don't have the budget for a big fix like this - Would it make any difference If I put up some blinds of heavy curtains over the glass?
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

To deal with 130 hz, panels at least 4", 6" or more is better, Curtains will do nothing for the lows. I suggest you download REW and start to make measurements.

Are you sure that the problem is the window?
Do you have absorption above mix position ?

*moving speakers can also make a big difference on frequency response

Ciro
BobCooper
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Gear interested

Thanks. I'll try out REW.

I've already got bass traps set up in the front corners, as well as one at the back (there's a door at the other side), and at the front and back ceiling corners.

No cloud yet, that's next on my list.

I'm fairly certain it is the window, even when I clap I can hear the glass resonating. Maybe I should tighten the glass seal somehow?

I thought the curtains might be redundant, damn. Would it be worth switching my set up 180 degrees and mixing against the wall without glass?

At the moment my seating position is 38% back in the room, although when I move closer to the centre the bass seems to even out a little more.
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCooper View Post
I recently moved into a new studio. I've put up bass traps (corners and front and back ceiling corner) and a few acoustic panels to get rid of the flutter echo, but i'm having huge problems with a frequency boost at around 130hz, caused by the parallel glass window between the control/live room. It's driving me insane!

I've been told that the best way to fix this would be to take a pane out, and put it back in at an angle greater than 8 degrees, or use a thicker pane of glass. Is this correct?

At the moment, I don't have the budget for a big fix like this - Would it make any difference If I put up some blinds of heavy curtains over the glass?
The window in and of itself will not cause a standing wave. Tilting will not do anything acoustically at that frequency. Look at location of the listening position and surfaces and reflections.

Andre
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for the advice. I'll move around my position tomorrow and find what works best.

It really does seem like the glass panes are causing a problem though - wouldn't having two parallel panes of glass - parallel to another wall make the issue worse? I think the glass is a little loose too, would tightening the seal make any difference?
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I'll move around my position tomorrow and find what works best.

It really does seem like the glass panes are causing a problem though - wouldn't having two parallel panes of glass - parallel to another wall make the issue worse? I think the glass is a little loose too, would tightening the seal make any difference?
Parallel glass is no worse, or better, than parallel drywall or concrete. If the glass is loose, it is adding a sound to the room sound. That MIGHT BE the cause of the problem.

Andre
BobCooper
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Gear interested

Thanks! I'll tighten the seal and see if that helps.
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ii'm having huge problems with a frequency boost at around 130hz, caused by the parallel glass window between the control/live room.
Could you be specific about why you think its the window?

Vibration of objects always needs to be dealt with regardless
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Gear Guru

Everywhere

I doubt that the window is the cause. I expect it is like a windsock, just showing what is going on.
What height is your ceiling?
Play a sine wave at your suspected frequency. Sweep around slowly to find resonance. REW has a Frequency follows cursor which sweeps slowly. Signalsuite is also good. Plug ins tend to be too lumpy to tune in exactly but you can usually force the issue by writing in frequency increments.
Anyway, assuming that you do have a 130 ish boost, when it is stimulated directly by this sine you should be able to find the reason for it.
I suspect it is the second height mode. Listen at the floor, then gradually move upwards. If you find a pattern of peak null peak null peak, it's amoré, sorry, a mode eh?

DD
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search