Whisper clips question
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

Whisper clips question

If I use these clips on all my walls, but NOT my ceiling, will I still get some improvement in isolation? I understand it wont be as good as it could be, but surely you would have to still get some additional STC wouldn't you ? In this case there is no upper room , just 15ft of air to the ceiling, in this case tin of a metal garage.

Ceiling will be three Layers of 5/8 inch plywood or drywall with green glue inbetween one layer. Walls two layers of 5/8 inch drywall either side of single studs with GG on the inside layer

I need to know if I would be wasting money and just as importantly space by usIng clips on the walls only. My thinking is any reduction in vibration to the wooden studs surely has to make a some difference. Thanks !!
Old 29th April 2012
Gear addict

What are the studs connected to? Need more details of the overall construction.
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

dodittydada,

Note: Using plywood with drywall; 5/8" plywood has a density of approximately 1.63 lb/ft² while one piece of 5/8" drywall will have a density of 2.60 lb/ft². - Almost half again as much mass for 1/2 the price. 2.6 - 1.63 = .97 pounds

When building mass partitions for sound-proofing, doubling the mass of the partition will increase isolation about 5db STL points. So, theoretically the STL gain by using the plywood would be about 24% or 1.2db whereas, using the 5/8" drywall the STL gain would be 33% or 1.65db.

Using different materials for isolation at voice frequencies is very useful, however you need isolation at low frequencies for music. Mass is most effective here.

On to your questions;
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodittydada View Post
If I use these clips on all my walls, but NOT my ceiling, will I still get some improvement in isolation? I understand it wont be as good as it could be, but surely you would have to still get some additional STC wouldn't you ? In this case there is no upper room , just 15ft of air to the ceiling, in this case tin of a metal garage.
Your isolation is only as good as your weakest link. -- It depends on what you are trying to accomplish...

Quote:
Ceiling will be three Layers of 5/8 inch plywood or drywall with green glue inbetween one layer. Walls two layers of 5/8 inch drywall either side of single studs with GG on the inside layer
This could be enough, it depends on your isolation requirements. As I said above, you should swap the plywood for drywall.

Quote:
I need to know if I would be wasting money and just as importantly space by usIng clips on the walls only. My thinking is any reduction in vibration to the wooden studs surely has to make a some difference. Thanks !!
I'm sure that it will make a difference but I do not have enough information. Can you post a drawing? And tell us your STL requirements?

Cheers,
John
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search