New Reply
Subscribe
FlammableMusic
17th April 2012
Old 17th April 2012
Gear interested

Help with adding yamaha HS10W sub

Hi,

I currently have the yamaha HS50M studio monitors and I want to add the HS10W subwoofer. However, I was wondering what would be the best way to wire them because I'm purchasing the Mackie Big Knob as well. So the real question is:
1.) run the "In's" from the 50s into the "out's" of the sub, then run the "In's" from the sub to output A on the Big Knob
or
2.) have the 50s connected to the A output and the sub connected to the B output on the Big Knob.

The reason why I asked this question is because I'm contemplating whether or not I want to be able to bypass the sub. So another question would be:

3.) if being able to bypass the sub is the best option how would i be able to get a smooth crossover between the 50s and the sub, similar to the one (crossover) you would get by running the mains from the sub?
17th April 2012
Old 17th April 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

It would be a big pain to get the crossover between the sub and the satellites correct if you're not just going to to Big Knob->sub->satellites. You'd have to get an external crossover with the right slopes and set the frequencies just so. Besides that, a properly-integrated sub shouldn't need to be bypassed, since the idea of integrating a sub into the mix is that you're getting a flat extended frequency response below the response the satellites can provide.
FlammableMusic
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Gear interested

Thanks a lot man I really appreciate your help.
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Gear nut

You would route the 1/2 from the interface to the L/R ports of the subwoofer, from there that would go to the respectable speakers

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search