Can a 7 ft 2 inch ceiling work for me?
New Reply
Subscribe
dodittydada
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

Can a 7 ft 2 inch ceiling work for me?

Hi all. I am concerned about my proposed room , soon to be build. It will be a mix/control room. Very little to no actual recording. My width will be 10 ft and length 16 ft. Not ideal I know. But I am most concerned about the 7 ft 2 inch ceiling. This will be what I end up with after all the isolation techniques are taken care of.

Question.

Who here works with a height limit like this? Is it possible , with a lot of effort put into treatment, to get a good sounding room with such a low ceiling? ultimately with a well made and positioned cloud it should almost make the ceiling infinite and take it out of the equation , shouldn't it?

I am very keen to hear of others thoughts faced with such limitations especially the low ceiling restriction. Thanks !
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Jack of all Trades

Whats stopping you from going higher then 7' 2"?
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodittydada View Post
Hi all. I am concerned about my proposed room , soon to be build. It will be a mix/control room. Very little to no actual recording. My width will be 10 ft and length 16 ft. Not ideal I know. But I am most concerned about the 7 ft 2 inch ceiling. This will be what I end up with after all the isolation techniques are taken care of.

Question.

Who here works with a height limit like this? Is it possible , with a lot of effort put into treatment, to get a good sounding room with such a low ceiling? ultimately with a well made and positioned cloud it should almost make the ceiling infinite and take it out of the equation , shouldn't it?

I am very keen to hear of others thoughts faced with such limitations especially the low ceiling restriction. Thanks !
I have the same ceiling height issue...I put alot of effot into the entire room treatments.
For the ceiling, I have some arrys of Auralex ceiling diffusors.
I am happy...room mics work, great sounding recordings.
However, I wish the ceiling was higher.
Attached Thumbnails
Can a 7 ft 2 inch ceiling work for me?-cd.jpg  
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRillo View Post
Whats stopping you from going higher then 7' 2"?
Well the ceiling measures 7ft 10.5 inches, but has 8 inch joists. I need to come down under these to install my Double drywall on whisper clips for isolation. The joists are steel so I can't modify them or anything like that unfortunately. To mount all the walls on clips but not the ceiling would compromise my isolation and be a waste of money I would think. On the other hand this is a detached garage with nothing above me.

I'm of the impression if I didn't do the ceiling on clips, the walls on clips would be a wasted and largely ineffective.
dodittydada
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti View Post
I have the same ceiling height issue...I put alot of effot into the entire room treatments.
For the ceiling, I have some arrys of Auralex ceiling diffusors.
I am happy...room mics work, great sounding recordings.
However, I wish the ceiling was higher.
Nice. You wish they were higher from a athsetic/ comfort viewpoint or some acoustic issues?
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice. You wish they were higher from a athsetic/ comfort viewpoint or some acoustic issues?
more along the lines of basic Gearslut thinking...wanting a little better mic, better preamp, better plug ins, higher ceilings...
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

why don't you "block" the ceiling between the joists w. 3+ pieces of drywall, like rod details in his book, then infill the rest w/ absorbent, plus a 6" cloud above your mix position. won't be as good from an isolation perspective but should help the ceiling seem much higher acoustically.
dodittydada
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by latestflavor View Post
why don't you "block" the ceiling between the joists w. 3+ pieces of drywall, like rod details in his book, then infill the rest w/ absorbent, plus a 6" cloud above your mix position. won't be as good from an isolation perspective but should help the ceiling seem much higher acoustically.
That was my original idea. But, would I still benefit from mounting all the walls on clips? Or would that be of little effect because the. Wiling would not be hanging on clips? This is the point I need to establish. I would hope that I could still gain significant Isolation still with walls on whisper clips.
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

if you need isolation then that ceiling idea might not be best. I havent done it but perhaps you could block and damp between where the joists and drywall meet, and extend the iso clips and drywall up into the joist area. Rod could chime in, but my gut is that if isolation is necessary the details of such execution would be critical.

I might be inclined to just recommend stick with conventional techniques since i cant guide you specifically, and as much cloud on your ceiling as you can bear to work with in that space. If a 6" cloud brings the ceiling down to 6' 6" ot thereabout i suppose that would be preferable than not working at all. Working that close to absorbent is a bit un-natural sounding (to me), but frequent breaks and you might get used to it.
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yes if you put 4" absorption between where you sit and the monitors it should be fine. Absorbing the ceiling is canceling the ceiling out. I would not use diffusion in any kind of early reflection areas of the ceiling.
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
dodittydada
7th April 2012
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm leaning towards adding two layers of 16mm drywall with green glue to the ceiling, I just cant get my mind round sacrificing sO much ceiling height in an already low room.

BUT, does anyone know if it would still be worth using whisper clips on all the walls if they will not be used on the ceiling? If there is at least some additional isolation to be had I'd still like to use them.
7th April 2012
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm leaning towards adding two layers of 16mm drywall with green glue to the ceiling, I just cant get my mind round sacrificing sO much ceiling height in an already low room.

BUT, does anyone know if it would still be worth using whisper clips on all the walls if they will not be used on the ceiling? If there is at least some additional isolation to be had I'd still like to use them.
Trying to picture the detached garage...is it pitched roof?
I mean, can you possibly use the isolation clips and go higher up the pitch?
If so, the horizonal beams at the 8' level could be left exposed, or painted, covered in drywall or new wood.... maybe run some track lighting on them?
That way you can use the isolation clips on walls and angled ceilings, and get more height?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search