Nearfields in new studio
New Reply
Subscribe
robn
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
Gear Head

Nearfields in new studio

I am currently working on a small home studio, just finished drywall this past weekend. The room is pretty small and has some unusual wall angles. I am doing research into what monitors to run, will go for a listen either this weekend or next......here is a couple of drawings of the studio floor plan to give you a better idea of room shape and dimensions:

Here is a list of the monitors I am considering, budget is around $1000/pair:
Mackie MR5mk2
Mackie MR8mk2
M-Audio BX5 D2
M-Audio BX8 D2
Yamaha MSP5 Studio
Adam A3X
Adam A5
Adam A5X
Mackie HR624mk2
Dynaudio BM5A MKII
Tannoy 601a
Yamaha HS80m
JBL LSR2325P
Genelec 6010A

Most of these monitors are rear-ported, and since they will back up to the long angle wall, I just wonder if that will be an issue......anyway, opinions are appreciated, TIA !
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
Lives for gear

ADAM a5 user here (w/KRK 10" Sub). very happy, indeed. Maybe check out Zen Pro Audio's mod of the Yamaha HS line. looks interesting.

atb,
kjb
robn
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyByStarbucks View Post
ADAM a5 user here (w/KRK 10" Sub). very happy, indeed. Maybe check out Zen Pro Audio's mod of the Yamaha HS line. looks interesting.

atb,
kjb
Thanks for the reply....are you using the A5 or the A5x? Do they sound lacking in bass thus the need for the Sub, or do you just like lots of bass? What is your room size compared to mine?
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
Gear Guru

I have the Yamaha HS80m and find them to do very well for the price point. YMMV

BTW you need to work on your mix spot. Do you have some pictures of the room you can post?
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
Gear interested

I'd second the Adam A5 purchase. We recently installed a pair of A5x's in our B studio along side a pair of Dynaudio Bm15a's. I can tell you the Adam is much more detailed in the upper mid range than the Dyn's. I've even taken a few mixes from studio A (Genelec 1031's), pulled them up in HD in studio B on the A5x's for fun, and was completely impressed with what I heard thru them. Excellent buy for the money.
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
Gear nut

depending where you are located, if you can get a pair of Monkey Banana Turbo 6, buy it. they are within your price range. I heard a pair and paid for it on the spot. I sold my pair of ADAM A7, which sells for more than the pair of turbos, the next day. , IMO they are one of the best studio perchase I have made.
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
Thanks for the reply....are you using the A5 or the A5x? Do they sound lacking in bass thus the need for the Sub, or do you just like lots of bass? What is your room size compared to mine?
A5, no X. They are really the most amazing monitor I've had the pleasure to work with, sonically speaking. I will point out, though, due to some vibration in the front ports (aka 'chuffing'), a bit of foam plugging was needed. The 'chuffing was only present during tracking-Piano & Bass and happened at specific freqs. This is a well documented issue but was not worth the time time send these out to try to have it addressed (I seem to remember others trying for a company fix w/ no great results and foam plugging was still the best way to go).
These are 3 years old so the problem hopefully has been addressed by ADAM.
I also run these off separate power strips to extend the life of the front power switches on the monitors themselves (another issue had been: short lives of A7 power switches).
Having said all that, I still can't see mixing on anything else. Stellar sound & response, Low ear fatigue, front placed power & volume knobs w/ center detent @ 50% (which is where they're set).
And as mentioned previously, I run a 10" KRK sub w/ them about half the time for low end reference. They are smaller so at some point, use will be missing some LF when trying to fine tune. I actually don't like a lot of bass and really try to focus the LF as much as possible (that's the sub's role for me.
Room size is roughly 10' x 12'

hope this helps.

atb,
kjb
robn
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
I have the Yamaha HS80m and find them to do very well for the price point. YMMV

BTW you need to work on your mix spot. Do you have some pictures of the room you can post?
Here are a few pics taken several weeks ago:

Hope that helps, thanks
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
Gear Guru

please make the pictures smaller. I can see them as they take up WAY over my screen size.
robn
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
Gear Head

Sorry Glenn......I resized them....
robn
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear Head

Mackie MR5mk2 - decent
Mackie MR8mk2 - may be too much speaker for my room
M-Audio BX5 D2 - one of the best I heard
M-Audio BX8 D2 - too much speaker
Yamaha MSP5 Studio - didn't have
Adam A3X - not much punch
Adam A5X - like these alot, smooth mids and highs
Mackie HR624mk2 - didn't have
Dynaudio BM5A MKII - these were excellent, best of all monitors
Tannoy 601a - didn't have
Yamaha HS80m - good definition but too much midrange and low highs
JBL LSR2325P - these were very disappointing, no output, no definition
Genelec 6010A - didn't have

The A5X ($1000), BM5A ($1000), and BX5D2 ($300) made the final cut.....not sure the first two are $700 better than the M-Audio though....
8th April 2012
Old 8th April 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
The A5X ($1000), BM5A ($1000), and BX5D2 ($300) made the final cut.....not sure the first two are $700 better than the M-Audio though....
I owned a set of m-audio monitors in college and they lasted about 3 months and sounded only slightly better than the the boom box I got for my 11th birthday

Go with the BM5A's, then you won't have to worry about buying monitors again until you become a mastering engineer... Buying expensive gear hurts, but buying cheap gear, then mediocre gear, then expensive gear hurts more. Unfortunately this is the path I've taken far too often
22nd June 2012
Old 22nd June 2012
Gear interested

maudio bx8 d2 vs adam a3x

Quote:
Mackie MR5mk2 - decent
Mackie MR8mk2 - may be too much speaker for my room
M-Audio BX5 D2 - one of the best I heard
M-Audio BX8 D2 - too much speaker
Yamaha MSP5 Studio - didn't have
Adam A3X - not much punch
Adam A5X - like these alot, smooth mids and highs
Mackie HR624mk2 - didn't have
Dynaudio BM5A MKII - these were excellent, best of all monitors
Tannoy 601a - didn't have
Yamaha HS80m - good definition but too much midrange and low highs
JBL LSR2325P - these were very disappointing, no output, no definition
Genelec 6010A - didn't have

Heya, what do you mean by "too much speaker" for the bx8 d2? too big?
which did you prefer? between the a3x and the bx8?
I understand everyone speaks highly of them a5x but they are $1000 a pair....and another $200 for warranty :(

is there a significant difference between the bx8 and a3x? or between them and the a5x? My goal is video editing, not recording or mixing. Just editingf and a little sound design before I send my project off to the mixer. any advice or opinions appreciated! thanks!
22nd June 2012
Old 22nd June 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to kasmira
22nd June 2012
Old 22nd June 2012
Gear Guru

robn
22nd June 2012
Old 22nd June 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by js87 View Post
Heya, what do you mean by "too much speaker" for the bx8 d2? too big?
which did you prefer? between the a3x and the bx8?
I understand everyone speaks highly of them a5x but they are $1000 a pair....and another $200 for warranty :(

is there a significant difference between the bx8 and a3x? or between them and the a5x? My goal is video editing, not recording or mixing. Just editingf and a little sound design before I send my project off to the mixer. any advice or opinions appreciated! thanks!
The BX8 D2 is 130W, BX5 D2 is 70W.....for a smaller room like mine the BX5 D2 puts out plenty of sound, didn't see the need for more wattage. And yes, size matters but not a whole lot. The BX5 is 7.7"X7"X10", the BX8 is 12"X10"15". With the BX5 the tweeters are sitting right at ear level. No big deal, the BX8 could have been angled different, but the BX5 sits on my desk nicely.

Between the Adam A3X and the BX8 D2? I liked the BX8 better.....between the A5X and the BX8 D2 I would have to give the nod to the Adam A5X. The DynAudio BM5A was the best of them though. I really recommend that you go have a listen to them all if you can......what constitutes the BEST monitors is an extremely subjective topic. Take a CD or memory stick with some songs that you are familiar with, preferably with a wide dynamic range.

Since your stated goal is video editing, I would go with the BX8 and use the money saved for something else......

Good luck!
robn
22nd June 2012
Old 22nd June 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasmira View Post
I just ordered a pair of these today: Event Electronics | Reference Studio Monitoring | 2030

$1200 / pair. Pretty stoked to get them in and try them out.
Nice!!! I have an old pair of Event PS5 monitors that I still use....they are the "backup" set to my M-Audio monitors.....I listen to them after the M-Audio just to get another listen on something different. The M-Audio's get the main work, then the PS5's, then the home stereo.
23rd June 2012
Old 23rd June 2012
Gear interested

Audio Interface recommendations?

Quote:
The BX8 D2 is 130W, BX5 D2 is 70W.....for a smaller room like mine the BX5 D2 puts out plenty of sound, didn't see the need for more wattage. And yes, size matters but not a whole lot. The BX5 is 7.7"X7"X10", the BX8 is 12"X10"15". With the BX5 the tweeters are sitting right at ear level. No big deal, the BX8 could have been angled different, but the BX5 sits on my desk nicely.

Between the Adam A3X and the BX8 D2? I liked the BX8 better.....between the A5X and the BX8 D2 I would have to give the nod to the Adam A5X. The DynAudio BM5A was the best of them though. I really recommend that you go have a listen to them all if you can......what constitutes the BEST monitors is an extremely subjective topic. Take a CD or memory stick with some songs that you are familiar with, preferably with a wide dynamic range.

Since your stated goal is video editing, I would go with the BX8 and use the money saved for something else......

Good luck!
Heya Robn, thank you so much for the advice!

I have another question if you don't mind?
What audio interface would you recommend?

I currently have the asus xonar essence st (pci interface) and the focusrite scarlet 2i2. As mentioned, I am not focusing on recording but mainly video editing and sound design so sound quality is my main concern. I personally don't like them both and was wondering which to get if I were to go up a step higher?

Ideally, I would like one that would make my Grado PS500 headphones and the Maudio BX8 D2 (and possibility for Adam a5x upgrade) sound awesome without being an overkill (or too cheap so much so I'm not getting the best out of these speakers).

I'm using a PC with Windows 7. Some folks recommended the RME Baby Face but since I am not really going to use it for recording, I find it to be a little overkill... unless of course it significantly improves the sound quality of my bx8 and ps500 over the essence st or 2i2 then I would seriously consider it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
If you could even recommend me some below 300, then 300-500, then 500-800 that would be awesome!
23rd June 2012
Old 23rd June 2012
Gear nut

8" monitors not need to stay away from the operator for about two meters?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search