DIY Studio Desk/Keyboard Workstation under $100
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear interested

Thats whats up man, great design we are waiting for the plans to flow your steps...
Shane Steel
25th May 2012
Old 25th May 2012
Gear interested

Lowered the top desk surface

After cranking my neck for a while I decided that the top surface should be lowered a bit. I took it down to just above the rack mount boxes. It was only lowered a few inches but it made a big difference in the feel and height of the displays.

DIY Studio Desk/Keyboard Workstation under 0-img_2297.jpg

DIY Studio Desk/Keyboard Workstation under 0-img_2298.jpg

DIY Studio Desk/Keyboard Workstation under 0-img_2304.jpg
Shane Steel
25th May 2012
Old 25th May 2012
Gear interested

DIY Recording Studio Desk Dimensions

There have been a lot of requests for the plans to build this desk. I finally got them finished in a somewhat intelligible manner. The attachments are snap shots taken from a Google Sketchup file that I used to model the desk with.
If you see anything that needs clarifying of fixing with the plans or have any questions, post them here and I'll try my best to address and adjust them accordingly. Sorry it took me so long to get them done but alas here they are.

If you do build this desk, please post the progress here so we can see how the build evolves for you... and learn from your improvements.

If you'd like to show your appreciation for the gazillion hours I put into this, I'd really appreciate it if you'd do one or all of the following:

1. Subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
2. "Like" my facebook music page here: Shane Steel | Facebook
3. Listen to my music here (download and buy if you like it!): https://play.google.com/store/music/...W251bGwsMSwyXQ..

DIY Studio Desk/Keyboard Workstation under 0-studio-desk-dimensions-desk-frame-angled-view.jpg

DIY Studio Desk/Keyboard Workstation under 0-studio-desk-dimensions-desk-frame-side-view.jpg

DIY Studio Desk/Keyboard Workstation under 0-studio-desk-dimensions-desk-frame-back-angle-view.jpg

DIY Studio Desk/Keyboard Workstation under 0-studio-desk-dimensions-desk-frame-front-view.jpg

DIY Studio Desk/Keyboard Workstation under 0-studio-desk-dimensions-desk-frame-top-view.jpg

DIY Studio Desk/Keyboard Workstation under 0-studio-desk-dimensions-piano-slide-tray-front-view.jpg

DIY Studio Desk/Keyboard Workstation under 0-studio-desk-dimensions-rack-box-side-view.jpg

DIY Studio Desk/Keyboard Workstation under 0-studio-desk-dimensions-rack-box-front-view.jpg

and here is a little walk around animation: Shane Steel - Recording Studio Desk/ Keyboard Workstation - Dimensions - YouTube

NOTE: If you'd like a more indepth view of the desk I suggest that you download the .skp file for the desk dimensions and open up the project in Google Sketchup. You can get a free version of Google Sketchup online and it is fairly easy to learn the basic functions of viewing. Go search for a YouTube tutorial on how to use the Orbit, Pan, and Zoom tools and you'll be able to see and comprehend the model much better.

Here is the Sketchup File:Recording Studio Desk: Keyboard Workstation - Dimensions.skp
25th May 2012
Old 25th May 2012
Lives for gear

Great job and the detail of the plans is exceptional.
29th May 2013
Old 29th May 2013
Gear interested

So, I may be a little late to the party (by what looks like a year) BUT! I love this desk design and have taken it upon myself to replicate it.

Here's what I have so far:
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Studio Desk/Keyboard Workstation under 0-desk-small-.jpg  
1st June 2013
Old 1st June 2013
Gear interested

high im attempting to build this awesome desk, but im not the best carpenter what angle are you using for the 28 7/8 piece of wood? it would help me out alot thanks
4th June 2013
Old 4th June 2013
Gear interested

I had to mess with the angle a lot (luckily I bought extra 2x6). The angle I settled with escapes me now however, sorry.

Basically what I did was mount the foot, back leg, and upper arm in place, then cut the angled arm at a fairly shallow angle. After that I laid it down onto the foot, measured up to the right height (I think it was 281/2" or something like that) and cut the other angle.

It was a bit guess and check until it felt right! Sorry I couldn't help more, I'm not much of a craftsman
5th June 2013
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

If you (1) measure from the edge of the board to the top tip, (2) measure from the edge of the board to the bottom tip, and (3) measure the actual width of the board, that will determine the angle without having to measure the angle.
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
Gear interested

This looks excellent! What's the price so far?
17th April 2014
Old 17th April 2014
Gear nut

Hey Tim, did you finish your build? Pictures?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search