Login / Register

Looking to vault my ceilings, could really use some input.
New Reply
Subscribe
Sonic Pit
15th March 2012
Old 15th March 2012
Gear interested

Looking to vault my ceilings, could really use some input.

Hey guys, been around for awhile, I do a lot of research on here but don't post a lot. Anyways I have had a studio a little over five years, improving anyway I can when I can. One huge limitation has always been my live room due to the 7.5 ft low ceilings. I have been doing some home renos and spoke to the contractors today about an idea I had. My original idea was to vault the ENTIRE ceiling in my 16x17 room but that was a little out of my upgrade budget. I then had the idea just to vault the area where the drums reside. I will post an image to better detail the idea. I just want some input as to whether doing just part of the room like this will be worth my money (I really think it is) I was going to get more mics and pres but why bother when they will always be tracking the same boxy space. I am always frustrated with the result of my drums regardless of the amount of time I put into mic placement, tuning, etc. The sound is box, harsh, and constricted. Please have a look at the diagram,

Any feedback would be great
Sonic Pit
15th March 2012
Old 15th March 2012
Gear interested

sorry about the massive pic!
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear Guru

Thin

Well the drums are bound to sound thin because they are just black heads with no shells......:-)

I always welcome high ceilings.

For recording drums in restricted space I recommend using PZM's for the overheads. I have had good results placing them on the wall behind the drummer. The ceiling is good too. Any mic can be used as a PZM by simply placing it on the boundary, perhaps on foam to prevent structure borne vibration. DPA4061's are superb at this job.
With PZM's there is no destructive comb filtering from the boundary they are on. A very clear open sound with full spectrum LF.
DD
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear addict

Do whatever you can to raise the ceiling and kill the reflections. They will cause you do much pain with boxy drums..... You'll wish you had.
A u 67 into a 1073 in a boxy room sounds boxy and bad.
A u67 into a 1073 in a nice room sounds, well, nice.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search