Login / Register

REW does not red imput ???
New Reply
Subscribe
junya-eskimo
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Gear addict

REW does not read input signal ??? - Now with Fix !

I was SURE i will find it strait away, Glenn GIK posted it a million times but i searched and cant find how to start using the REW.

It does not see my mic.. I have separate soundcards for input and output.

Can someone post here the link for the getting started with this thing or just tell me how to save the waterfall file well, i see thats usually the issue when people post it up ..

heerz

john
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by junya-eskimo View Post
I was SURE i will find it strait away, Glenn GIK posted it a million times but i searched and cant find how to start using the REW.

It does not see my mic.. I have separate soundcards for input and output.

Can someone post here the link for the getting started with this thing or just tell me how to save the waterfall file well, i see thats usually the issue when people post it up ..

heerz

john
Look in preferences and make sure you pick your sound cards input and output. Sometimes in Windows you need to set it as the default but I am not a tech guy so maybe someone else can answer that. Needless to say start with the preferences in the REW program.
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
junya-eskimo
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
Look in preferences and make sure you pick your sound cards input and output. Sometimes in Windows you need to set it as the default but I am not a tech guy so maybe someone else can answer that. Needless to say start with the preferences in the REW program.
first thing i did mate..

Dunno, tried restarting and still nothing..

ANyway, Let me learn what to do so whn i get it i will go forwards and do it..

Cheerz Glenn, Ethan
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Lives for gear

did you read the REW manual starting at page 20? mac or pc? i had issues with a mac, had to download and install some line mixer plugin, was a pita and just borrowed a pc.

however, troubleshooting how to get a mic signal into rew will be immensely more helpful at the site where you downloaded it, they wrote it the software.
junya-eskimo
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Gear addict

Thanx mate.

I just read it, and now i fixed the problem... For future reference if people wanna fix this on mac, they should set it to default. then in OSX go: APPLICATIONS>UTILITIES?AUDIO MIDI DEVICE..

You will see all devices connected and they have little symbols of a mic and speaker.. Just right click on the device you want to be the input and select Make this device input.... or something like that..

First test clipped which bugged it all out so i restarted and got the green so all good.. have my waterfall now.. Just gonna read on how to set it up like Glenn's style..

Mine just looks like a jelly has been cut in half at the moment...
junya-eskimo
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Gear addict

ok check it..

REW does not red imput ???-my-jelly.jpg Name: my jelly.jpg Views: 86 Size: 153.8 KB ID: 281692" style="margin: 2px" />

i fiddled with the stuff.. cant get to see the end of that 40 Hrtz..

How do i do it?
junya-eskimo
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Gear addict

found it:

REW does not red imput ???-my-jelly-2.jpg Name: my jelly 2.jpg Views: 69 Size: 123.9 KB ID: 281693" style="margin: 2px" />
junya-eskimo
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Gear addict

how does this look to you?

I dont really know how to read the program..

The studio sounds good, panels are not fixed into frames yet so no inch spaces behind..(waiting for fabric to come) just resting on chairs in places they will be....

But i think its a good response or am i wrong?

Cheerz, i cant wait to see what you say.
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

That actually looks pretty good.

--Ethan
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanx mate.

I just read it, and now i fixed the problem... For future reference if people wanna fix this on mac, they should set it to default. then in OSX go: APPLICATIONS>UTILITIES?AUDIO MIDI DEVICE..

You will see all devices connected and they have little symbols of a mic and speaker.. Just right click on the device you want to be the input and select Make this device input.... or something like that..

First test clipped which bugged it all out so i restarted and got the green so all good.. have my waterfall now.. Just gonna read on how to set it up like Glenn's style..

Mine just looks like a jelly has been cut in half at the moment...
Thanks for listing how you got it to work. Going to bookmark this to post for others.

Agreed the room test looks pretty good.

Quote:
I dont really know how to read the program..
This is from a newsletter we did about waterfall graphs

Quote:
Waterfall Graphs

Before we move on to your next set of tests, here is a little background on decay times and waterfall graphs and why they are so important to view (if not more important then frequency response). As a sound plays through your speakers it doesn't just get to you and stop but continues to bounce around the room and slowly fades away over time. This is sometimes referred to by others as ringing or reverb. A waterfall graph allows you to visualize how quickly or slowly a given frequency decays over time.

Low frequencies tend to be stronger and stay more intense longer than higher frequencies. Higher frequencies are also easier to control. Things like people, furniture, carpet, curtains, and even air tend to have a much more significant impact on the higher frequencies than lower ones. In addition, high frequencies are much more directional where low frequencies tend to spread like a sphere in 3 dimensions. In a bare room, there really isn't much that has any significant impact on low frequencies which is why it is critical to have proper bass trapping . As the low end keeps bouncing around the room there are other things that you are trying to hear but the frequencies that are ringing are masking imaging cues, harmonic textures, and even cancelling and/or reinforcing themselves.

When someone refers to a room that sounds "tight" or "clear" they are most likely in a room that the low end decay times are under control with bass traps
Testing of Acoustic Foam Bass Traps. Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Lives for gear

What interface are you using from mic to computer?
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Gear Guru

Max

Unfortunately it is not that simple. Macs have another Sound Control panel in System Prefs. They interact.
Name:  Screen shot 2012-03-14 at 19.04.32.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  44.3 KB
Furthermore when an external device is included, this will pop up in both.
If you cannot select 2Ch 16Bit in AudioMidi Setup, because it is greyed out, your interface will not work properly for Input.
Note REW is 16Bit, but I think FM is 32Bit Float.

DD
junya-eskimo
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Gear addict

Thanx Glenn, and thanx for the extra fix also Dan.

Well i am about 14 hours into operation pancake.

And for anyone new to the concept of SBIR (Speaker Boundary Interface Response- Moving speakers around LITTLE by LITTLE to flatten response at listening point) and you are a little unsure if it can help, well it CAN halp a TON.

I am head to toe in fibers now, not even bothering with the gloves anymore ( NOT NOT ADVISED - COVER UP)..

And through moving and re positioning rocksilk and the monitors, I have changed this...There is no smoothing on any of my readings:

REW does not red imput ???-room-before.jpg

Into this:

REW does not red imput ???-room-after.jpg

I am by no means done.I will tweak a bit more for the bass and then move on, i must install the ceiling traps before i know anything, but you can se it does work..

ONE ADVISE i can give to anyone out there who can't mover there speakers but have a problem in the 100 - 200 area...Try something like this:

REW does not red imput ???-photo.jpg

Putting that panel across my floor corner and speaker stand made this:

REW does not red imput ???-before-floor-corner-trap.jpg

into this:

REW does not red imput ???-after-floor-corner-trap.jpg

All those nulls have reduced a alot

I have gather a load of data (that sounded so geeky)...hahaha

I got alot of stuff (better) to share when i finish the studio, its mall and combated things like drywall, unfinished brick wall, AND the studio is not in the middle of the room...

When its done i will show the .. Stuff

Cheerz for all the help and input until now everyone, i really appreciate it.
junya-eskimo
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John White View Post
What interface are you using from mic to computer?
At the moment a Apogee duet and something from M Audio.... apogee duet is the mic input..

All my gear (DA/AD and thangs) are all in boxes, so i am reduced to the bare minimum... which is ok by me.
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanx Glenn, and thanx for the extra fix also Dan.

Well i am about 14 hours into operation pancake.

And for anyone new to the concept of SBIR (Speaker Boundary Interface Response- Moving speakers around LITTLE by LITTLE to flatten response at listening point) and you are a little unsure if it can help, well it CAN halp a TON.

I am head to toe in fibers now, not even bothering with the gloves anymore ( NOT NOT ADVISED - COVER UP)..

And through moving and re positioning rocksilk and the monitors, I have changed this...There is no smoothing on any of my readings:

Attachment 281831

Into this:

Attachment 281832

I am by no means done.I will tweak a bit more for the bass and then move on, i must install the ceiling traps before i know anything, but you can se it does work..

ONE ADVISE i can give to anyone out there who can't mover there speakers but have a problem in the 100 - 200 area...Try something like this:

Attachment 281833

Putting that panel across my floor corner and speaker stand made this:

Attachment 281834

into this:

Attachment 281835

All those nulls have reduced a alot

I have gather a load of data (that sounded so geeky)...hahaha

I got alot of stuff (better) to share when i finish the studio, its mall and combated things like drywall, unfinished brick wall, AND the studio is not in the middle of the room...

When its done i will show the .. Stuff

Cheerz for all the help and input until now everyone, i really appreciate it.
Looks GREAT!!
junya-eskimo
15th March 2012
Old 15th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
Looks GREAT!!
Wow thanx man.. It means a lot to me that say that.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search