Studio Ceiling Advice
New Reply
Subscribe
JayHayer
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Gear interested

Studio Ceiling Advice

I have a 6ftx4ft (24 sq. ft.) ceiling in the recording booth I'm building. It is a low ceiling (only 7ft high) and I was wondering if it was necessary for me to cover the WHOLE ceiling with acoustic foam. Currently I have 2 4ft.x2ft. panels than can cover 16sq. ft. and a friend told me that's enough and I don't need to cover all of it. What do you think?

I intending recording a lot of African drums, flutes, vocals, and violins in the booth if that helps at all. Any additional advice is also welcomed!

Thank you!
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

6 x 4 is a pretty small room to record much of anything, but if it's all you've got, you have to make the best of it. Personally, I would stay away from any of the foam products and consider making your own absorbers out of Owens Corning 703 or 705. You can purchase sheets of it and cover them with fabric and they look great. Then you just need a way to attach it to the ceiling and to your walls. You'll probably want to treat all the walls since you will have alot of ping-ponging back and forth in such a small room. Good luck!
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Gear interested

So essentially you would advice to treat the WHOLE ceiling...?
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHayer View Post
So essentially you would advice to treat the WHOLE ceiling...?
Yes and every wall. The problem you are going to have with thin foam is the low end will not be absorbed so it will always have a "bowing" sound in the room. If you can, I would think about just treating the mix room well and record in there. If you want to use the booth then use 4" panels make from mineral wool or fiberglass on all walls and ceiling.
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search