Pc Fan used to extract smoke - Any recommendations ?
Old 3rd March 2012
  #1
Gear addict
 
junya-eskimo's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Pc Fan used to extract smoke - Any recommendations ?

I am going to sacrifice 120x120 mm of my overhead and back wall panels to some PC fans to extract smoke.

I have found the most silent, not a bad price at 14 UKP each, but i worry its not strong enough.

Its about 700 RPM..

NF-S12B ULN Ultra Low Noise 120mm Cooling Fan, 500/700 RPM

well if anyone has somthing to say about it i am all ears, if not, i will go with this one.

Cheerz

john
Old 3rd March 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Rod Gervais's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by junya-eskimo View Post
I am going to sacrifice 120x120 mm of my overhead and back wall panels to some PC fans to extract smoke.

I have found the most silent, not a bad price at 14 UKP each, but i worry its not strong enough.

Its about 700 RPM..

NF-S12B ULN Ultra Low Noise 120mm Cooling Fan, 500/700 RPM

well if anyone has somthing to say about it i am all ears, if not, i will go with this one.

Cheerz

john
John,

remove smoke from where?

If this is to move room air it's useless - these fans can move air quite well through a computer case - however a computer case has little volume and a particular air path to cool critical components.

The fan has little capacity to move large volumes of air and no real capacity to overcome any sort of static pressure.......

They make fans for computers and fans for rooms for a reason - each has their job to do - and neither could do the job of the other well.

This is much like trying to hook a VW bug up to tow a 40' box trailer......... not going to go anywhere.....


Rod
Old 3rd March 2012
  #3
I assume it's a one room studio? If not, why are you smoking in your studio ? At least have a dedicated smoking room.. Idk seems like a lot of work. Why not get a big fan and open the door to the outside?
Old 3rd March 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 
UnderTow's Avatar
 

Old 3rd March 2012
  #5
Gear addict
 
junya-eskimo's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Gervais View Post
John,

remove smoke from where?
Just above my head and back sofa .. Look the pics


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Coleco View Post
I assume it's a one room studio? If not, why are you smoking in your studio ? At least have a dedicated smoking room.. Idk seems like a lot of work. Why not get a big fan and open the door to the outside?
its an attic. Amazing flat bass responce here.. SERIOUSLY !!!

I smoke.. I can live with it. I have always... I dont produce for people, just my music so its cool. Got ventilation anyway.. Just want it over head and at the back sofa..

Its not that much work, Just need to cut out a quare in the Insulation and run a thin pipe leading the the vents i already have.. It will be insid ethe panels, behind the material..

Its just a little extra i will add.. I made these rough 3d images to... Gonna rock in reality.

Pc Fan used to extract smoke - Any recommendations ?-j-home-stuido-3.jpg

Pc Fan used to extract smoke - Any recommendations ?-j-home-studio-1.jpg

Pc Fan used to extract smoke - Any recommendations ?-j-home-studio-2.jpg

Undertow.. Do you recomend any or i take my own jorney with it?

Cheerz people
Old 3rd March 2012
  #6
Gear Guru
 
DanDan's Avatar
Speaking Tube

How about a ship's speaking tube. A PC case fan should be able to handle that diameter of smoke flow.
Voicepipes & Speaking Tubes

;-)

DD
Old 3rd March 2012
  #7
Gear addict
 
junya-eskimo's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
How about a ship's speaking tube. A PC case fan should be able to handle that diameter of smoke flow.
Voicepipes & Speaking Tubes

;-)

DD
ahhah love it,,, went to the Imperial war museum in london few days ago.. The Submarine section had load of them..

well yeah, i was thinking along those lines..fan into some funnel then a small pipe around the wall.. Attic's or LOFTS are wicked for this shit, any out of place pipe just adds to its Industial look,, Not sure if pcv counts though..

Cheerz man
Old 3rd March 2012
  #8
Gear nut
 

Get a bathroom exhaust fan.
Old 4th March 2012
  #9
Gear addict
 
junya-eskimo's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandersd View Post
Get a bathroom exhaust fan.
i dont really mind throwing and extra 50 UKP on this, I have not looked but these fans i am looking at are under 5 pounds each and 12cmx12cmx2cm

You think bathroom fans will be cheaper, as quiet and as small?

I would not imagine so, but i could be wrong. I guess i will either have to compromise on noise levels or power.

Uless i find the perfect match.

I will look into the bathroom vents though...

cheerz mate

John
Old 4th March 2012
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Rod Gervais's Avatar
 

Bathroom fans are not known for being especially quiet........

The issue with the units you speak of is that they do not have enough power to overcome any sort of static pressure.......

They have no real power - you could take the tip of your little finger and stop them from turning by lightly touching the blade, and you'd hardly notice the contact.

Now, your thin pipe is going to create static pressure on the air moving through it - and when that static pressure reaches the limit of the fan it will keep turning - but stop pushing any more air - and it isn't going to take a whole lot of pipe to reach the limits of those fans. They simply are not made for the purpose you wish to use them for.

Believe me - if they did work we would be using them all over the place. They are cheap and quiet......... what's not to like if they worked?

Rod
Old 4th March 2012
  #11
Lives for gear
 
UnderTow's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by junya-eskimo View Post
Undertow.. Do you recomend any or i take my own jorney with it?
Nothing specific, no. Paps make many of the fans for the "silent PC" brand names. (Remove the brand name sticker and oh surprise!) The good thing about the site is that you can just give the specs you want (noise level, air flow, voltage etc) and it will give you a list of possible candidates.

Good hunting!

Alistair
Old 4th March 2012
  #12
Gear addict
 
junya-eskimo's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Gervais View Post

Believe me - if they did work we would be using them all over the place. They are cheap and quiet......... what's not to like if they worked?

Rod
yeah for sure. This is what i am thinking about..

The only way i was gonna get around it was by positioning them exactly where the smoke rises naturally so when it got to the panels it will at leats take something out the room.

I checked it with the lights off and a torch to see where it goes.

But i guess the pipe thing will be another problem..

WELL, this is why i post here, to get sound advise. I have one day to research about static pressure, tomorrow it all arrives and building will start, unless i find a way to KNOW it will have an effect thats worth it, i will not do it.

I will also look at the site for the computer fans and put the numbers again what i can find for static pressure.

Cheerz guys
John
Old 4th March 2012
  #13
Gear addict
 
junya-eskimo's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
I just found a site for all types of fans from Industrial to domestic.. Tones of products.

Elta Fans: Products - Building Services

they actually list SPL for specific frequencies.. (never expected that).. like this:

Elta Select - ATEX - Raptor SFB

I am now going look into the idea of having a very strong fan in the wall that sucks from the air out and just the pipes going to the panels .. To be clear, i was planning to have the PC fans iN the panels sucking the air in and than pushing it OUT of the room..

Gonna give the company a call and see what they recomend..If anything..
Old 4th March 2012
  #14
Gear addict
 
junya-eskimo's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Old 4th March 2012
  #15
Gear addict
Sounds like what you're looking for is something based around a fume hood.

There's always another solution. Chimneys don't need fans, you just make it higher than the roofline to create the draw.

Also if you can manage to vape instead of smoke you might not need it. Electronic cigs rock. Here's a non-commercial forum dedicated to them. E-Cigarette Forum
Old 4th March 2012
  #16
Gear addict
 
junya-eskimo's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosefTux View Post
Sounds like what you're looking for is something based around a fume hood.

There's always another solution. Chimneys don't need fans, you just make it higher than the roofline to create the draw.

Also if you can manage to vape instead of smoke you might not need it. Electronic cigs rock. Here's a non-commercial forum dedicated to them. E-Cigarette Forum
Actually there are 2 columns which are chimneys. But not positioned for what I need.

Sureley a chimney with pipes leading to my panels could never draw the smoke out..I would need to be hot.

Also anytime anyone lights a fire in the winter there is a risk if it coming into my studio. Jesus , I dont want to imagine.

I am looking at a way , if i cant afford the quiet fans to make a box around it..

Doing some reading now.
Old 5th March 2012
  #17
Lives for gear
 
AwwDeOhh's Avatar
 

Buy an air purifier with an activated carbon component.

Most aren't quiet enough to run while tracking (or mixing) but you can turn it on to suck out the smoke during down time.

I have a beast in my paint studio for taking out paint thinner and other fumes... it has an 18-pound carbon bed. but you don't need anything anywhere near that robust.
Old 5th March 2012
  #18
Gear addict
 
junya-eskimo's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
but you don't need anything anywhere near that robust.
you have not met my friends hahaha

Another cool option, thanx man.. how much they going for? How much you paid for yours?
Old 5th March 2012
  #19
Lives for gear
 
AwwDeOhh's Avatar
 

Old 6th March 2012
  #20
Lives for gear
 
ritelec's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by junya-eskimo View Post
I smoke.. I can live with it. I have always...
Same here juya-eskimo............

Take smoke breaks, walk outside, go to another room............
It helps clear your head and your ears too.

Maybe one of the smokeless cigs for when your in the room.

Really......you'll feel better coming in, working and hanging in your room without the smoke and smell..............
Old 6th March 2012
  #21
Gear addict
 
junya-eskimo's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritelec View Post
Same here juya-eskimo............

Take smoke breaks, walk outside, go to another room............
It helps clear your head and your ears too.

Maybe one of the smokeless cigs for when your in the room.

Really......you'll feel better coming in, working and hanging in your room without the smoke and smell..............
For sure///

I spent months working like this is onther studio recording albums.

I just wanna work around the inconvenient truth that my studio will be smoked in.

I will HAVE to make make somthing to deal with it..As soon as i find a solution i will post it, and i can promis it will work and be the cheapest possible option.hahahaha.. For real...

But i do totally appreciate your advise..

Ps - you can call me john..hahah
Old 6th March 2012
  #22
Lives for gear
 
ritelec's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by junya-eskimo View Post
For sure///

I spent months working like this is onther studio recording albums.

I just wanna work around the inconvenient truth that my studio will be smoked in.

I will HAVE to make make somthing to deal with it..As soon as i find a solution i will post it, and i can promis it will work and be the cheapest possible option.hahahaha.. For real...

But i do totally appreciate your advise..

Ps - you can call me john..hahah

NuTone: Bath/Ventilation Fans

Broan: Bath Fans, Ventilation Fans, Range Hoods, Trash Compactors and Broan Fresh Air Systems



Aren't the quietest and you have to check for availability in your country.


Take breaks.......you'll feel better about it and your gear will love you for it.
Old 6th March 2012
  #23
Gear maniac
 
BriHar's Avatar
 

How about looking into an Air Multiplier or so called fanless fan (btw, there are other manufacturers than expensive Dyson!)
Old 6th March 2012
  #24
Lives for gear
 
kasmira's Avatar
 

Old 7th March 2012
  #25
Gear addict
 
junya-eskimo's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Old 7th March 2012
  #26
Lives for gear
 
ritelec's Avatar
 

You could buy quite a few cartons of cigs and smoke your brains out ......out of the room.........for what you may be paying for a fan and what ever to install it............



a fellow nic freak.
Old 7th March 2012
  #27
Lives for gear
 
ritelec's Avatar
 

WOW..that dyson fan is pretty cool!
Old 8th March 2012
  #28
Lives for gear
 
UnderTow's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritelec View Post
You could buy quite a few cartons of cigs and smoke your brains out ......out of the room.........for what you may be paying for a fan and what ever to install it............



a fellow nic freak.
The cigs might not be the most expensive ingredient. ;-)

Alistair
Old 8th March 2012
  #29
Gear addict
 
junya-eskimo's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
The cigs might not be the most expensive ingredient. ;-)

Alistair
Ahh, i think YOU have met my friends..
Old 8th March 2012
  #30
Lives for gear
 
ritelec's Avatar
 

Got where you're coming from...........

Baby powder.........from what I've heard
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
the chills / Music Computers
1
firby / Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production
1

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.