New Reply
Subscribe
freebeer187
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Gear Head

Help me trouble shoot this hum!

Hey everyone!

No, I do not have a "studio" if you will, but I do have this annoying hum that I have been trying to trouble shoot for a few days.

Here is a very rough sketch of my setup. I know its not pretty, but it works (sorta):

Basically, when the TV and PC are on, there is this pretty loud hum coming from somewhere. The speakers above the TV are powered speakers, but I do have them connected to their own power strip, and they are turned off. I have ruled them out.

When the PC is off and the TV is on, or vise versa, there is no hum. It is only when both of them are on. I have tried running around and lifting the grounds off pretty much everywhere, only to find that this does not fix the problem. With this setup, in theory, all the speakers in the room are hooked up. I can listen to audio from the PC and TV on all the speakers in the room. That is my goal. What do you guys suggest I do?
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

Start with plugging everything into the same AC power strip. Ground lifts are dumb and dangerous! Is this system connected to a wired network or to cable TV?
freebeer187
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
Start with plugging everything into the same AC power strip. Ground lifts are dumb and dangerous! Is this system connected to a wired network or to cable TV?
I was told that lifting the ground is perfectly safe! The TV is connected to a basic coaxile cable. No a dvr. Ill try your suggestion to connect everything to one outlet.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear maniac

2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

The problem is caused by the TV co-ax cable. You might try plugging everything into one of those surge suppressor outlet strips that also has connectors for the co-ax cable.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search