Newb gluing advice...
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Newb gluing advice...

Hello,

First of all, I apologize about the n00bish nature of this post.

Anyways, what is the best way to glue bass traps to corners?

The corners are not perfect 90 degree corners, usually they are about 93 or 88...nearly there, but it definitely stretches the traps when I try to glue the 2 sides of the trap to the wall.

Do I put the glue both on the plastered wall and trap, or just the wall and then put the trap into it? I'm using an auralex glue. Is there a setting time before placing the traps?

I finally got the go ahead from the boss (ie, the missus!) To put bass traps in the corners, but I completely underestimated the gluing scenario.

Thanks for your time!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Gearslutz.com
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

If you're talking about Auralex corners, I use Hot Melt Glue. If you do decide to use the supplied glue, be prepared to pay someone at least several hundred bucks to repair the damage that you will have on your hands when you try to remove the foam. Hot Melt on the other hand, will stay until you need to remove it and cause minimal damage when you do take the foam down. Plus it will work perfectly in your situation. Just apply it to the foam and stick it into the corner and hold tight for about 5 or 10 seconds.
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

drumdrum.........

did you open the foam yet.........or get glue on it?

If not...............read here about corner traps and read about foam.

If you did....................next time.
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Pianodano: they aren't auralex traps, but very similar. Made from the same material anyways. I will look into hot melt glue. Thanks.
Is it easy to remove the residue from the wall afterwards if I had to?

Ritelec:
Erm, did you mean to part a link to somewhere, because I can't find one in your post. Thanks though.

Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdrum View Post
Ritelec:
Erm, did you mean to part a link to somewhere, because I can't find one in your post. Thanks though.
Drumdrum, Ritelec is suggesting that if you haven't put any glue on the foam yet, or if you haven't opened the packages yet that you return them and build some broadband absorbers / bass traps that you see common here.

Foam will only reduce flutter echo and will only absorb a small portion of the frequency spectrum. Broadband traps will be a much more even absorption amount, and will absorb bass very well. You could easily build some of these traps for a small amount of $ - or you could always buy some premade ones from a company like GIK or Realtraps

Note that buying premade ones are usually costly (because it does take some skill to build perfect looking panels) plus they can come with mounting hardware. However, if you're handy at all you could build a whole room set up for a really great price and it would perform much better than if you spent the same amount of money on foam.

If you're happy with the foam, then by all means use it. He was just suggesting other options, and I would second the suggestion as well.

Good luck on your room.

Edit: Oh, and I've always suggested grabbing something like posterboard or cardboard and glue the foam to that, and then you could easily hang it up with a single small nail or something similar. Just another option to using the glue if you're worried about tearing off drywall.
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks kasmira.
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdrum View Post
Pianodano: they aren't auralex traps, but very similar. Made from the same material anyways. I will look into hot melt glue. Thanks.
Is it easy to remove the residue from the wall afterwards if I had to?

Ritelec:

Yes the hot melt will come off the wall with minimal damage to the wall surface and usually stay adhered to the foam. It may remove some paint but that is trivial.
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Hi guys

Firstly thanks to everyone for their advice.

I realise that foam is not as optimum a solution as broadband absorbers, but I just dont have the time to build broadband absorbers in the next few months. I dont get home from work until 7 then I have to look after family and more pressing concerns. Maybe in the future I'll get the time to make some, but I got a good deal on these so its not the end if they get replaced in 6 months.

As for buying RealTraps and GIK, I'm sure their products are great, but they are costly and their shipping charges are very high. I live in Ireland (just at the border to NI) and shipping here is very expensive. I cant justify the price as I do not earn a living from mixing (yet, hopefully), though it is a big hobby / obsession if mine!

I think I got a good deal on
the foam....basically I got 12 60x30x30cm corner wedges with staggered faces for about €300.

I got sorted for the glue by the way. The friend of mine who sold me these came by with a can of universal acoustic space mist. That stuff is really easy to use and we got the traps fitted in a couple hours. I know its not the same as BB absorbers. I've read the threads and analysis around here. But they have helped deaden the sound in the room and the bass seems a little more bearable. Im going to do a room analysis when I get an hour free to see how it looks.

Are the foam really that bad?

thoughts comments are appreciated. And thanks...
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

From what I understand about it, it absorbs the frequencies as rug and carpet.
4k? 6 or 8k? What I also find interesting as was pointed out when I started reading about this stuff, is that they don't show test results for there products.

What are you actually doing?

I would suggest reading up from that link and the studio/acoustics forum.

Take your time, take some measurements, read some more, do a few weekend projects making some traps and absorbers....read some more...take more measurements...

Personally, I started reading up on this last February to attempt to "tune" my room.........Ripped the room a part, build absorbers and traps,
measurments........several months of work...... It's still a issues acoustically,
but it's better than it was and I continue reading for when I hit it again in phase two.

Like every, it takes time.

So don't sweat the foam......live and learn......educate yourself......and work on it as you can.

Old 22nd February 2012
Gear maniac

A few longish finishing nails (i.e. the ones with a minimal head) driven into the walls with enough sticking out on which the foam can be hung (impaled). Removal is simple, the holes (usually 4 would be enough) can be filled with polyfilla or something similar.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search