Setting up two pairs of speakers
Aec
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Gear nut

Setting up two pairs of speakers

I'm thinking about picking up a pair of NS 10s to accompany my Mackie HR24 old version monitors, but am not sure how to do this with my current set up.

Set up

Mackies XLR to Quarter inch -> L/R Mbox 3 Mini -> USB to PC

My mbox mini 3 is also my soundcard

I do film composition so gear isn't a necessity, I'd like to be able to AB between monitors. It would be nice to spend under $100.

Thanks!
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Gear maniac

Just for reference, but you typically show signal flow from source out (i.e. from computer to interface to speaker). In other words: PC/USB -> L/R Mbox 3 Mini -> 1/4" to XLR to Mackies.

With regard to being able to A/B monitors, I'd suggest a monitor manager/switcher. There are a couple in your price range (Behringer & Samson) that should adequate meet your needs and give you some extra features you may or may not need at some point.

Also, don't forget the NS10s will need a power amp to drive them since they're not internal amplified (powered). Given the amount of money you're looking at spending, it makes me wonder if something like the Focusrite VRM box might serve you well. It allows you to test your mix on a variety of monitors through headphones (by virtual modeling). Just a thought.

Hope this helps.
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Jack of all Trades
^ What he said, but I would shoot for a pretty good monitor control, because it will effect the sound of both speakers running threw it. If you get a shitty one, it could end up making both your speakers sound not so appealing.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search