Login / Register

REW analysis help... uh, so now what do I do?
New Reply
Subscribe
darkbuddha
24th January 2012
Old 24th January 2012
Gear maniac

And four weeks later, I'm pretty much done... I have done testing after adding each (set of) element(s) and the results are a huge improvement! I think I'll build a few more poor man's cylindrical diffusors and tonight I'll see if testing supports adding them. In the meantime, because everyone loves to see a (mostly) finished room, here are some pics:

Before:

front:

back:

After:

front:

back:

New test results coming soon... and new questions of course.
24th January 2012
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Guru

Appropriate

Well done, and I can see why you chose your name.....
DD
24th January 2012
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to kasmira
I literally just looked through this thread like 2-3 hours ago wondering if you had posted pictures of your finished panels yet. Glad you got them in! Can't wait to see the test results

edit: Sound wicked in there or what?
darkbuddha
24th January 2012
Old 24th January 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasmira View Post
edit: Sound wicked in there or what?
Depends on what you mean by "wicked." It's sure as heck more clinical and unforgiving, which I much prefer to the previous erratic, null-filled I tolerated for so long before. It's much tighter and direct.

That said, for pleasure listening, I do kinda miss the low/mid boost & high end smear that made many tracks feel more visceral than they actually were.

BTW, a couple nights ago I made the mistake of playing a bunch of tracks I had on my computer via iTunes. The problem was that in spite of originally importing the tracks uncompressed, at some point iTunes converted all of them to mp3s. I was a bit panic'd wondering why the response and clarity were so screwed until I realized the issue. I hate compression.
darkbuddha
24th January 2012
Old 24th January 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
Well done, and I can see why you chose your name.....
DD
Thanks... it was a lot of work, but it's been a rewarding endeavor. I'm not sure I got it all right, but I think I did it as right as I could do it.

BTW, the name was bestowed to me long ago when I lived the kind of life and lifestyle that makes such a name apropos. Though I think the room does manifest the atmosphere and metaphors of that life and the psyche which elicited the name.
darkbuddha
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Gear maniac

Well, here are the results with before and after comparisons. Feedback is welcome.

SPL comparisons:

(Just for reference, below is a graph comparing SPL for the rear pair with the sub versus rear left and right separately. I post it to show that the sub is being pretty successful in filling in the nulls in the rears between 40-85 Hz. Not ideal, but manageable.)

Waterfalls:

First, smoothing is set to 1/3 octave (except the graph for the sub, which is set to 1/12 octave) since the point of posting these is to simply show the general level of improvement made. Second, I have waterfalls for all the channels if anyone wants to see 'em for whatever reason. Third, I'm sure the issues that remain are solvable, but I'm at a bit of loss of how to fix them without doing some serious work and/or rearranging the room (i.e. removing the bookcases and sofa, etc.).

One other thing... I now realize that there is relatively minimal value in either analyzing or posting the graphs for the combination of the quad monitor setup with the sub, but it's what I had initially analyzed when I started using REW. Given that all the monitors are outputing the same signal simultaneously, I imagine there are probably some pretty significant phase issues at work in that combination. Not good.

Again, any feedback is welcome.
27th January 2012
Old 27th January 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

You might want to eq the highs down a bit. I guess its pretty bright now.
darkbuddha
27th January 2012
Old 27th January 2012
Gear maniac

Actually, not really... it's not overly bright at all. I actually like a little bit of a high shelf anyway, which is essentially the way it is right now. That said, all of my analysis was only done to 10.5kHz because I'm using a Radio Shack digital SPL meter as the mic, and it starts to roll off around 6-7k. Eventually I'll pick up an ECM8000 or CM100 and do some measurements to 20k and see what's really going on up there, but for now it's sounding pretty good actually.
darkbuddha
29th January 2012
Old 29th January 2012
Gear maniac

Someone asked, so below are pics taken with a flash to make the changes more apparent.

Total treatment consists of 28 individual treatment elements...

front half of room:
two 12x24x30" pink fluffy soffit boxes on top of bookcases
two 6x12x96" SAFB panels between bookcases and side walls
two 11x15x18.5" pink fluffy mini-chunks on inside edges of bookcases
five 4.5x24x48" OC703+SAFB panels to cover front and side first reflection points (FRP)
two 11x48" semi-circular poly diffusors on side walls (between FRP)
one 3x24x48" (with 3.5" gap) SAFB overhead panel (cloud)
three 4.5x24x48 OC703+SAFB straddle panels at wall-ceiling corners (front & sides)

rear half of room:
one 15x18x96 pink fluffly soffit column
one 12x6x48 SAFB soffit half-column
one 11x48" semi-circular poly diffusor
one 6x24x48" OC703+SAFB panel
two 1.5x24x48 OC703 panels
one 3x24x48 SAFB panel
four 3x12x24 OC703 straddle panels at wall-ceiling corners (rear & sides)
darkbuddha
29th January 2012
Old 29th January 2012
Gear maniac

BTW, yes, the records on the shelves are arranged in a binary diffusion pattern. And yes, it did make a difference... quite a bit of difference actually.
darkbuddha
3rd February 2012
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear maniac

Boy oh boy... so I finally sat down and totaled the receipts, and it ain't pretty. My original hope was to do it for around $300. Of course, that's before I decided to do speaker stands and before I realized how much damn fabric I'd need (and how much it costs). And now that it's done, I realize I probably could've gotten away with doing a bit less, get most of the same result, and saved a bit $50-$75, but I'd still be over budget. Anyway, here's the breakdown:

Absorbers & diffusors:
$170 - Insulation (combination of OC703, Thermafiber SAFB, and OC pink fluffy stuff)
$143 - Wood & hardware for absorbers and diffusors
$80 - Fabric
$76 - Speaker stands (set of 4):

Total: $469, sub-total for acoustic treatment: $393

Not bad for what I was able to do, but like I said, I think I could've saved more by doing less, especially if I only treated for a stereo (as opposed to quad) setup.

Just thought I'd share for posterity's sake.
3rd February 2012
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear Guru

Bargain

Seems like money spent in the best way to me.
What else could you buy which would improve your listening experience this much?

Enjoy.

DD
darkbuddha
3rd February 2012
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear maniac

True enough... certainly there's no piece of gear of equal quality as my room treatments that could be bought for $469 that would provide such a return on investment, not even a mic.
13th November 2012
Old 13th November 2012
Lives for gear

Nice work!

Did you feel the need to add more light to the room after treatment?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search