Sound Proofing a Garage Door
New Reply
Subscribe
stooby
16th July 2011
Old 16th July 2011
Gear Head

Sound Proofing a Garage Door

I'm in the middle of converting a garage into a small studio space. My biggest problem areas will be sound proofing the garage door.

Unfortunately I'm just renting the property and cannot permanently alter any of its construction. If I did own the place I would choose to scrap the garage door and build a good wall in its place, but I can't and I wanted to get some opinions on how to go about sound proofing this door.

I've attached some pictures for your reference. The garage is 8' 2" wide and 7' tall. The entire garage door wall is 10' wide and 9' 10" tall.

Since the interior surface of the garage door is not perfectly flat, it makes for an awkward surface to work with. You can see the protruding joints in the pictures along with the door's track rails.

My initial thoughts are to piece together an entire wall out of insulating/sound proofing foam (see attached photos) and place it a few inches directly in front of the garage door. This would avoid contending with most of the door's uneven surfaces, and I would then seal any cracks with fiberglass insulation material. But the door's tracks are going to be hard to work around to make a good seal.

Has anyone ever attempted to sound proof a garage door like this? Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Sound Proofing a Garage Door-garage-door_1.jpg   Sound Proofing a Garage Door-hinge.jpg   Sound Proofing a Garage Door-main-arm.jpg   Sound Proofing a Garage Door-rail.jpg   Sound Proofing a Garage Door-rail_2.jpg  

Sound Proofing a Garage Door-foam_1.jpg   Sound Proofing a Garage Door-foam_2.jpg  
16th July 2011
Old 16th July 2011
Gear addict

it doesnt have to be perfect... build the wall.. u might wanna add angles and/or corners at the edges of the wall if it helps, but overall a few gaps shouldnt hurt ur mix, depending on ur overall speaker placement.

da relic
16th July 2011
Old 16th July 2011
Gear addict

stooby
16th July 2011
Old 16th July 2011
Gear Head

Thanks for the helpful replies so far. I'll take a look at that article and feel confident about starting the sound proofing process now. I'll let you know how it goes and post more pictures once they become available.
17th July 2011
Old 17th July 2011
Gear addict

Just be careful with the garage door spring. It has a lot of energy stored in it and you could easily wind up with some serious injuries if you aren't careful. Probably best to hire a professional to release the spring if you decide to remove it.
stooby
18th July 2011
Old 18th July 2011
Gear Head

Good to know. Thanks for the tip. I'll be careful around that spring.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search