will this patchbay work for what I want to do?
pixeltarian
20th May 2011
Old 20th May 2011
Gear nut

will this patchbay work for what I want to do?

I just got a carvin patchbay for free from someone and I've been wanting to be able to select between my snake and front panel XLRs for some time now...

here's the manual/spec sheet:
http://www.carvinguitars.com/cartech...nuals/pb48.pdf

schematicy diagram:

I know there are different types of patchbays. if this is just through, I'm good, but I get confused when I look at the manual. Is it just basic through? the schematic sort of maybe makes me think it's not but I'm not good at interpreting things like that. It appears to be half normaled, with the option of being "not normalled" if I flip the circuit board around. what is "not normalled" exactly? does that mean through?

why I want to know this is because I'm wondering... is it possible to use this patchbay to route two mic input-areas (not at one time) to one preamp all from the front of the pannel?

diagram of what I am hoping for:
pixeltarian
20th May 2011
Old 20th May 2011
Gear nut

if this is in the wrong category... can one of you mods put it where it needs to be?
20th May 2011
Old 20th May 2011
Gear maniac

20th May 2011
Old 20th May 2011
Gear maniac

top row = outputs
bottom row = inputs

you'll have each output of your snake in the top row (mic 1 mic 2 mic 3 etc), they will be connected to the bottom row ..so, mic 1 will be connected to input 1 and so on..

by plugging a wire in the mic 1, it will still go to input 1, but if you plug a wire into input 1 point on yor patchbay, you break the connection. Lets say you want to send mic 1 to input 3, if plugging a wire in the input wouldnt break the connection, you would send phantom power to mic 1 and mic 3, risking to damage the mic.

in a not normalled scenario the top row will not be hardwired to the bottom row. Lets say you have a Reverb Unit, you dont want the Output of your Fx to go into your Fx Input..so, in this case you want a not normalled setup, where...lets say point 15 and 16 of your top row will be Reverb output L and reverb output R, and the bottom row Rev Input L Rev Input R. (if its a stereo reverb).
pixeltarian
20th May 2011
Old 20th May 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioactive View Post
top row = outputs
bottom row = inputs

you'll have each output of your snake in the top row (mic 1 mic 2 mic 3 etc), they will be connected to the bottom row ..so, mic 1 will be connected to input 1 and so on..

by plugging a wire in the mic 1, it will still go to input 1, but if you plug a wire into input 1 point on yor patchbay, you break the connection. Lets say you want to send mic 1 to input 3, if plugging a wire in the input wouldnt break the connection, you would send phantom power to mic 1 and mic 3, risking to damage the mic.

in a not normalled scenario the top row will not be hardwired to the bottom row. Lets say you have a Reverb Unit, you dont want the Output of your Fx to go into your Fx Input..so, in this case you want a not normalled setup, where...lets say point 15 and 16 of your top row will be Reverb output L and reverb output R, and the bottom row Rev Input L Rev Input R. (if its a stereo reverb).
thanks for the info!
maybe it's cause I just woke up, but I'm still just as confused about if what I want to do is possible. I think I'm confused casue there's a front and back aspect that isn't ultra clarified.
20th May 2011
Old 20th May 2011
Gear maniac

how are you gonna use the patchbay, what inputs/outputs you want to access throu it??

in the back of the patchbay you phisically connect your equipment to your patchbay, the front, allows you to access your equipment, and to route it the way you want.

Setting up a Patchbay in your Home Studio by TweakHeadz lab
pixeltarian
20th May 2011
Old 20th May 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioactive View Post
how are you gonna use the patchbay, what inputs/outputs you want to access throu it??

in the back of the patchbay you phisically connect your equipment to your patchbay, the front, allows you to access your equipment, and to route it the way you want.

Setting up a Patchbay in your Home Studio by TweakHeadz lab
here's the easiest way I can think of articulating what I want with my limited knowledge of patchbays:

I have 2 snakes. let's just focus on channel 1 of these two snakes. so we have:
snake 1, channel 1
snake 2, channel 1

I have a few different preamps, let's just focus on 3 of them. so we have:
Preamp 1
preamp 2
preamp 3

(we don't need to worry about any more patching at this point because all my pres go into the interface through lightpipe and spdif)

what I want to do is be able to patch snake 1, channel 1 into any of those preamp channels and to be able to patch snake 2, channel 1 into any pre as well.

the real actual scenario:
I have a snake by the drum kit, and a snake in another area. I have 4 nice preamps. when I record drums I want to use the nice preamps on the kick, snare and overheads. a lot of times I'm not tracking drums, in which case I want to use the other snake by the vocal/guitar/etc. area and use the 4 nice preamps. also I want to fairly quickly demo preamps on different mics by patching any given mic into any preamp I have.

to minimize my confusion I would be very much obliged if you could always name the jack your talking about like rear top 1(RT1), or front bottom 25 (FB25). I million thank yous for catering to my confusion and limited knowledge about these things.
20th May 2011
Old 20th May 2011
Gear maniac

there are so many options, the bottom line is, you set up your patchbay according to your needs, and the way you work,

Look at this patchbay...

You can see that the top row Mic Lines are going into Aws900 Mic inputs, the Aws Line output are going to Protools INPUTS.

If you don't have a Mixer the mic lines are going to your Audio Card Inputs.

Then you need to access your preamps! so, you want 1 part of your patchbay not normalled where you connect inputs and outputs of your pres.

Now, you want to access pre 1 for your Mic Line 1, With the bantam you connect the mic Line output 1 to Pre 1 Input, Pre 1 output to Audio card input 1.

hope it makes sense, that's how i would do it.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search