Login / Register

Would you ever pay for a professional home studio consultant?
New Reply
Subscribe
scott samples
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Gear interested

Would you ever pay for a professional home studio consultant?

I have a friend who has been recording in an at-home studio for over 10 years and wants to start a home studio consultant business to show others how they can do the same

It would entail personally meeting at a client's home and examining their entire recording environment (rooms, reflective surfaces, outside noise etc.), drawing up a custom and treatment, building and installing absorbers, diffusers, and other household treatments according to the needs of the environment.

Is this something that you would ever pay money for and why/ why not?

If so, how much would you pay (assuming you would get everything you wanted and more)?

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers

http://www.homeacoustics101.com
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott samples View Post
I

Is this something that you would ever pay money for and why/ why not?

If so, how much would you pay (assuming you would get everything you wanted and more)?
Well, I did and it was money well spent. As far as your friend goes, he needs to establish his own value in the marketplace. Does he offer any particular expertise with the credentials and/or experience to back it up?

-R
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

I paid for some acoustic treatment consultation. Money well spent. Very professional guy that did a very professional analysis.
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to George Necola
I do that all the time (guy pays me for telling him how to spend all the money ). Moneywise it depends on the client and the size of the project.

I got paid in olive oil, beers, cash, cigarettes, equipment... it depends.

Where are you or your friend located?

Sent from my Desire HD using Gearslutz.com App
---------------------------------------------
www.georgenecola.com produce & mix itm/gear & fun

blog.georgenecola.com reviews & gear
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Scott,

I do a lot of consulting, inspections, on home studios.....

My going rate is $125 per hour dock to dock...... or $125 per hour for internet consultations......

My clients have never complaqined that they felt the cost was more than the return in quality or the savings they made on construction.......

The trick it to actually develop a name in the field.

Rod
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Somebody who would offer such services professionally should include acoustical measurements, and be willing to meet or exceed both frequency and time based criteria.

Notice I say should. Were one to go about to friends and friends of friends and ask for payments of 6 packs or cigs, clearly the criteria could be lessened... and maybe a good way for the inexperienced to begin. But certainly, even in those early stages, they should be versed in acoustical measurements... and learning what they may be capable of promising down the road as their "chops" progress.

Here's what I do. Free if you like, pay if you REALLY like:

http://midwestdeathrattle.bandcamp.com/
14th May 2011
Old 14th May 2011
Lives for gear

I think it's worth every penny when you want your room to sound good and don't have the knowledge to do it yourself.

Sean Christopher Dockery

www.SeanDockery.com

Sean Christopher - New Age composer

www.SeanChristopher.net

Windows 7 & Cubase 7

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.
14th May 2011
Old 14th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
how much would you pay (assuming you would get everything you wanted and more)?
Well for that I'd pretty much pay anything.

-R
14th May 2011
Old 14th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndykstra View Post
Somebody who would offer such services professionally should include acoustical measurements, and be willing to meet or exceed both frequency and time based criteria.
+1.....

Quote:
Notice I say should.Were one to go about to friends and friends of friends and ask for payments of 6 packs or cigs, clearly the criteria could be lessened... and maybe a good way for the inexperienced to begin. But certainly, even in those early stages, they should be versed in acoustical measurements... and learning what they may be capable of promising down the road as their "chops" progress.
+1 too.......

Rod
scott samples
15th May 2011
Old 15th May 2011
Gear interested

We're located in Houston, and I'm helping him out a little bit in getting some clients.

What does your typical customer look like in terms of age, gender, marital status, income, etc. and who should we be focused on? I thought I'd ask since you have the insight

Thanks
15th May 2011
Old 15th May 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Bluntly...10 years working in a home studio isn't good enough to go into serious acoustic/gear consulting.
scott samples
15th May 2011
Old 15th May 2011
Gear interested

Wow, that definitely helps out. We don't really have much experience doing this for other people. Our plan is to do it for free (or something close to free) for the first client or so just to get the experience. Is this a wise thing to do?

By the way, this isn't the Home Recording Studio: Build it Like the Pros Rod Gervais is it?

Thanks
15th May 2011
Old 15th May 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Wow, that definitely helps out. We don't really have much experience doing this for other people.
Then you should work for a company and gain that experience under the guidance of someone with experience...and then when you are ready, go out on your own.

This curve has been around forever...there is no getting around a learning curve...and youshouldn;t be consulting until you have some good experience and have been part of building at least a dozen or so for real....even then you may not be ready...all depends on you...you are not ready now though.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search