Help Reducing Noise
New Reply
Subscribe
The Luke
26th April 2011
Old 26th April 2011
Gear interested

Help Reducing Noise

My friend has built a separate building to practice/record in and is having some trouble with sound leaking outside from the drum kit.

Here is a quick sketch done in paint (no need to mock the paint skills )

Obviously the sides aren't to scale and the circle in the corner represents the kit and the arrow the direction which the bass drum is facing.

The room has a solid metre deep concrete floor then carpeted, the walls are made from concrete block outsde; thermal/acoustic insulation; acoustic block inside (lighter than a breeze block); inside lined with insulated board (plaster board with fitted hard insulation on the back side); then carpeted walls.
The ceiling is external roof tiles; insulation (fiberglass); plasterboard (12m); compressed wood (25mm); secondary set of joists - (sloped 2ft-7in deep cavity filled with more compressed fiberglass); then more of the plasterboard with insulated backing.

There are no air bricks etc. Both doors are solid panel UVPC double glazed.

With drums being played, using a meter, the db reading in the room was 120db and standing outside the building it was no more than 63db.

As the building has matured, (it is three years old) it seems to be louder outside than before, with bleed from snare and toms.

Any suggestions as to what can be done to help reduce the noise heard outside the building? Really not sure where to start.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.
26th April 2011
Old 26th April 2011
Gear Guru

How is this ventilated? Have you checked the seals on the doors?

-tINY

The Luke
26th April 2011
Old 26th April 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

How is this ventilated? Have you checked the seals on the doors?

-tINY

There is an air conditioning unit in the large room by the door, that blows out of a small hole maybe 5" in diameter in to the smaller room. As far as I am aware that is all the ventilation there is. I will check again next time I see the guy tomorrow. I will also suggest checking the door seals.

Standing outside the building, with drums playing or loud music, you can almost feel it in the walls.
27th April 2011
Old 27th April 2011
Gear maniac

It is interesting that you first quoted SPL meter readings and then went on to use the phrases, "seems to be louder," and, "you can almost feel it."

Have you taken SPL meter readings to check how it seems and feels and back up your suspicions?
The Luke
27th April 2011
Old 27th April 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
It is interesting that you first quoted SPL meter readings and then went on to use the phrases, "seems to be louder," and, "you can almost feel it."

Have you taken SPL meter readings to check how it seems and feels and back up your suspicions?
I never took the readings then, and do not think an SPL reading has been taken in a year or so. I am relaying the information my friend told me about his own building. As for the feeling - I put my hand on the outside wall as the kit was being played and you can faintly feel the vibration.
Either way, is it relevant? He said he never used to be able to hear the drums/loud music being played, but now he can, and thinks it is too loud outside given it's residential location.
Any advice/suggestions/methods to help reduce volume would me much appreciated, and if you need more information I will get it.
27th April 2011
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

I believe your friend has selective memory...... I can pretty much guarantee you that there is no way shape or manner that he ever achieved the level of isolation you describe in his construction.

If this is true:
Quote:
He said he never used to be able to hear the drums/loud music being played
then nothing has ever (before) been played at the levels you're discussing here, in fact they would have been played much MUCH quieter......

Achieving that level of sound isolation take a lot of mass - a lot of attention to detail and tons of money, make that many tons of money.......... It was done with the level of construction at galaxy studios - but that is massive construction....... nothing along the lines of what you're describing here.....

Sorry - either he is pulling your leg - or he just doesn't remember - but what he is saying is not physically possible......... not with that construction it isn't.

Rod Gervais
Director of Education
GIK Acoustics
Gik Acoustics USA
Gik Acoustics Europe
Tel.(US)1.888.986.2789
Tel.(UK)+44(0)20.7558.8976
27th April 2011
Old 27th April 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Gervais View Post
... galaxy studios ...
What a coincidence! I was only reading page 312 for the first time yesterday.
The Luke
27th April 2011
Old 27th April 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Gervais View Post
I believe your friend has selective memory...... I can pretty much guarantee you that there is no way shape or manner that he ever achieved the level of isolation you describe in his construction.

If this is true: then nothing has ever (before) been played at the levels you're discussing here, in fact they would have been played much MUCH quieter......

Achieving that level of sound isolation take a lot of mass - a lot of attention to detail and tons of money, make that many tons of money.......... It was done with the level of construction at galaxy studios - but that is massive construction....... nothing along the lines of what you're describing here.....

Sorry - either he is pulling your leg - or he just doesn't remember - but what he is saying is not physically possible......... not with that construction it isn't.

Rod Gervais
Director of Education
GIK Acoustics
Gik Acoustics USA
Gik Acoustics Europe
Tel.(US)1.888.986.2789
Tel.(UK)+44(0)20.7558.8976
Thanks for the response.
I hope it is clear that sound levels were only tested outside the entire building - not the sound isolation between the large room to small room. He doesn't care what it is like between rooms - the level outside for neighbours is the big picture here.
Even if the numbers are out, what would you say to someone who asked for help reducing volume in a room constructed in the manner listed above?
27th April 2011
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Luke View Post
Thanks for the response.
I hope it is clear that sound levels were only tested outside the entire building - not the sound isolation between the large room to small room. He doesn't care what it is like between rooms - the level outside for neighbours is the big picture here.
I really doubt there was much change at all from what he thinks he had and what he actually has (now.)

Quote:
Even if the numbers are out, what would you say to someone who asked for help reducing volume in a room constructed in the manner listed above?
I would need more information - a detailed building section would help - although (off the top of my head) the roof and doors sound like weak points.

The lightweight block (used on the inner wall) is made for the purpose of sound isolation - but it's real strength lies in the frequency range of the human voice (it is often used for isolation between guest rooms in hotels) I would not use it for isolation of music rooms....... much less expensive and better isolation can be achieved using standard construction methods.

Rod
28th April 2011
Old 28th April 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to gullfo
Eric told me the main live room at Galaxy was something like 280 tons empty sitting on the isolation mounts. when he was showing me the underfloor setup he was explaining the sense of panic during construction as the springs kept compressing as portions where lowered but finally it hit its set point. Critical attention to engineering paid off. The starter pistol test (125db) was pretty extreme and in the CR, there is no sound... then again the windows are about 4 tons each... when they jammed a 2x2 between the rooms, you could clearly hear the sound between the rooms which is a really good example of how even a small defect in the decoupling can change the isolation achieved.

www.runnel.com
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search