Isolated power to the homestudio room
New Reply
Subscribe
Topah
19th April 2011
Old 19th April 2011
Gear Head

Isolated power to the homestudio room

I'm building a studio to the outside garage area of our house. Electrician is going to check out the room tonight and I was wondering would it be wise idea to totally isolate the power from the house?

What I mean is

1. Find where is the earth ground of the house and run separate ground from there only to the studio room?
  2. Install separate breaker/fuse unit for studio only.
Does this make any sense if it is pretty easily possible to do?

I live in Bangkok and the power here is going to be anyway a big problem. As it is easy now to make the possible precautions, it would be great if there is a person who can give me a hand... And ofcourse I will offer beer if you visit Bangkok sometime
19th April 2011
Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear

the are other more qualified than me on this topic but that what i did at the studio friends and i are building.

accept i'd take it further and run seperate supplies (with ground) for AC, then for computers, and then for audio gear.

depending on your load and room numbers, you may need more.

you need to plan it so you have no ground loops at all. jon brandts website has info on collapsed loops. http://jhbrandt.net/GroundingWiringZeroLoopArea.pdf
20th April 2011
Old 20th April 2011
Gear Head

Thanks for the answer.

Electrician came yesterday and we will do separate earth ground for my studio room only. Jon's information seems very valuable also. Lot of mistakes can be avoided here reading these threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouge View Post
the are other more qualified than me on this topic but that what i did at the studio friends and i are building.

accept i'd take it further and run seperate supplies (with ground) for AC, then for computers, and then for audio gear.

depending on your load and room numbers, you may need more.

you need to plan it so you have no ground loops at all. jon brandts website has info on collapsed loops. http://jhbrandt.net/GroundingWiringZeroLoopArea.pdf
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search