Login / Register
 
Guitar Amp Isolation Closet Treatment
New Reply
Subscribe
perryr
Thread Starter
#1
29th January 2011
Old 29th January 2011
  #1
Gear Head
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 53

Thread Starter
perryr is offline
Guitar Amp Isolation Closet Treatment

I have a space under a stairway, it is 10ft deep by 3ft wide. I could add a door to close the space. Its a wedge shape. I am thinking I'd like to roll amps into it and shut the door for reasonable isolation. The walls are wall board, its finished (picture below).

I could record with door closed for isoaltion, or leave the door open and the sound would escape into a storage are (still a little isolation). With the door open the performer would be able to hear the amp well in the live room, but of course the volume would be much friendlier. With the door closed, the isolation would likely be usable for a live recording.

I am not sure what I should do to treat the space for best results. Its very reflective and the wedge end might be a good place to build in a bass trap (the trap could be a 3ft deep wedge. I could back the amp into the trap and fire at the door, which would be 5ft away.. enough space to move the mic out for different sounds.

Any suggestions appreciated.Guitar Amp Isolation Closet Treatment-perry-roper-room3.jpg
#2
31st January 2011
Old 31st January 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Scott Whigham's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,364

Scott Whigham is offline
__________________
http://www.scottwhigham.com
#3
1st February 2011
Old 1st February 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 
jhbrandt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 3,989

Send a message via Yahoo to jhbrandt Send a message via Skype™ to jhbrandt
jhbrandt is offline
Perry,

You will need to treat the enclosure with as much trapping as you can. I would recommend filling with absorption and only leave enough room for the amp and a mic.

The resonances in such small spaces are much higher in frequency and will cause destructive interference. You will need to tame them as much as possible to obtain an accurate recording.

Cheers,
John
__________________
John H. Brandt
Recording Studio, Performance Hall & Architectural Acoustics Consultants

(American) in Jakarta, Indonesia

SERVICES - HOME STUDIO DESIGN - PUBLICATIONS

"Twenty thousand dollars worth of Snap-On tools does not make you a Professional Diesel Mechanic"
#4
1st February 2011
Old 1st February 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Jens Eklund's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,689

Jens Eklund is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbrandt View Post
Perry,

You will need to treat the enclosure with as much trapping as you can. I would recommend filling with absorption and only leave enough room for the amp and a mic.

The resonances in such small spaces are much higher in frequency and will cause destructive interference. You will need to tame them as much as possible to obtain an accurate recording.

Cheers,
John
+1

or why not by a power soak (if you need to drive the tubs).
perryr
Thread Starter
#5
6th February 2011
Old 6th February 2011
  #5
Gear Head
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 53

Thread Starter
perryr is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
+1

or why not by a power soak (if you need to drive the tubs).
I have some good attenuators, but nothing quite gets the sound of speakers overdriving.

I'm a guitar amp nut, and love the sound of overdriven tube amps into old Celestions.

I can use the space for storage or something more creative. The ISO room seemed like a cool idea, but maybe not. My thoughts were to roll amps as big as a 4x12 in there shut a door and get some great cranked amp tone. I could load it with traps, but if the results will only be "so-so", I'd probably opt to pass.

So I guess now the question becomes is it even worth considering for capturing a great cranked amp sound (if I trap it correctly)?

Thanks, PR
#6
8th February 2011
Old 8th February 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 
jhbrandt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 3,989

Send a message via Yahoo to jhbrandt Send a message via Skype™ to jhbrandt
jhbrandt is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryr View Post
I'm a guitar amp nut, and love the sound of overdriven tube amps into old Celestions.

So I guess now the question becomes is it even worth considering for capturing a great cranked amp sound (if I trap it correctly)?
PR,

I hear you man. I LOVE the sound of tubes pushing old celestions into cone distortion.

But you will need more than trapping to contain the LF produced.
Cheers,
John
#7
25th February 2011
Old 25th February 2011
  #7
Gear nut
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 120

clarocque is offline
Suggestions:size, wood or rock?

Does anyone have recommendations for a proper sized amp closet?

I am looking for one that can fit a small fender up to a 4x10 cab. My goal is try and build a cabinet that I can place in a room below the control room (floor between is carpet, carpet pad, pink insulation, drop ceiling) and make it soundproof as possible so can track other things upstairs in control room. I am not sure if a cube is bad idea or if a there is dimensions to avoid.

What material is better MDO, MDF sheetrock? I was thinking several layers of sheetrock with 703 or something similar in the inside. Wanted to build bass trapping walls so figure it would be 2" of rockwool, 2" of air and 2 layers of sheetrock.

Is it possible to make a cabinet that virtually is sound proof with out killing the speaker from moving?

Any thoughts?
#8
25th February 2011
Old 25th February 2011
  #8
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 67

Joe Bannon is offline
You could easily build a custom bass trap to wedge in the back under the stairs.
#9
25th February 2011
Old 25th February 2011
  #9
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 67

Joe Bannon is offline
The bigger, the better is what I always hear. You will need over half the area for trapping, but that's pretty easy. I can design something for you if you want.




Quote:
Originally Posted by clarocque View Post
Does anyone have recommendations for a proper sized amp closet?

I am looking for one that can fit a small fender up to a 4x10 cab. My goal is try and build a cabinet that I can place in a room below the control room (floor between is carpet, carpet pad, pink insulation, drop ceiling) and make it soundproof as possible so can track other things upstairs in control room. I am not sure if a cube is bad idea or if a there is dimensions to avoid.

What material is better MDO, MDF sheetrock? I was thinking several layers of sheetrock with 703 or something similar in the inside. Wanted to build bass trapping walls so figure it would be 2" of rockwool, 2" of air and 2 layers of sheetrock.

Is it possible to make a cabinet that virtually is sound proof with out killing the speaker from moving?

Any thoughts?
#10
25th February 2011
Old 25th February 2011
  #10
Gear nut
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 120

clarocque is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bannon View Post
You could easily build a custom bass trap to wedge in the back under the stairs.
Not really any stairs available. The room I want to put in is a finished room. Just happens to be right under the console.
#11
25th February 2011
Old 25th February 2011
  #11
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 67

Joe Bannon is offline
It looks like the ceiling slants down. What's on the other side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarocque View Post
Not really any stairs available. The room I want to put in is a finished room. Just happens to be right under the console.
#12
25th February 2011
Old 25th February 2011
  #12
Gear nut
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 120

clarocque is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bannon View Post
It looks like the ceiling slants down. What's on the other side?
I apologize... mixed up threads - that is not my picture.... sorry
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
bountytracker / Studio building / acoustics
6
MikeRocker / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
2
stephen71 / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1
megl / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
16
stealthbalance / So much gear, so little time!
0

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.