New Reply
Subscribe
Freejack
6th January 2011
Old 6th January 2011
Gear interested

Small Studio Plan

Dear Gearslutz!

I plan to build a small recording studio, i have the floor plan of the building. I want to ask You, which is the best possible use of the place i have.
I thing the smaller room would be the control room, and the bigger would be the live room. This is an old building, the walls are made from brick, the floor is covered with tiles. All units on the plan are meters and square meters, except the windows and doors, which are centimeters.

Plase help me, what should i do, to bring out the best possible layout from this place, and what type of acoustic treatment should i build, to achive the best results?

All ideas are welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Small Studio Plan-studioplan.jpg  
6th January 2011
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Freejack
6th January 2011
Old 6th January 2011
Gear interested

Thank You very much Ethan! I read the forums regularly, and the articles on Your website as well, and watched the videos several times. Most of my knowledge came from this forum and Your website. I can be never grateful enough for this huge amount of information about acoustics and studio building.

I just want to ask here the professionals what they think about the place, it's good enough to start to make a small recording studio, and if the answer is yes what should i do to make it right, etc...
7th January 2011
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to SörenHjalmarsson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freejack View Post
Thank You very much Ethan! I read the forums regularly, and the articles on Your website as well, and watched the videos several times. Most of my knowledge came from this forum and Your website. I can be never grateful enough for this huge amount of information about acoustics and studio building.
I TOLD YOU MR WINER!!!! There are millions, MILLIONS!!! (sorry, private joke)

Freejack,

I can't really desiffer your room dimensions (is it metric?), but it might actually (probably) be better to use the big room as the control room.

Cheers,

Desperado Studios
www.desperadostudios.se
Facebook
Gös&Hjalmar
Sweden

"If you want to make beautiful music, you must play the black and the white notes together"
Freejack
7th January 2011
Old 7th January 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by SörenHjalmarsson View Post
Freejack,

I can't really desiffer your room dimensions (is it metric?), but it might actually (probably) be better to use the big room as the control room.

Cheers,
Yes, all dimensions are metric, meters and centimeters.
If i use the big room as the control room, the smaller would be the live room? It's not too small for this purpose? And of course the bigger is not too big to be a control room? I know, nothing is too big in acoustics and studio building, in most cases the more space the better, but i'm curious why it would be a better solution?
Both room has really high inner heigth as You can see on the picture lower right corner. (4.18m)
Freejack
11th January 2011
Old 11th January 2011
Gear interested

What do You think about a one room studio in the bigger room, and then the smaller can be anything else, an office place for example?

Two pictures of the "one room studio plan":
Attached Thumbnails
Small Studio Plan-s1.jpg   Small Studio Plan-s2.jpg  
jwl
11th January 2011
Old 11th January 2011
jwl
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to jwl Send a message via Yahoo to jwl
I'm actually a fan of one-room studios. Plus, your separate "control room" is very nearly square (as well as cubic I'd guess) which means getting accurate bass response out of it will be a challenge.
12th January 2011
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Thumbs up +1

Yes, that is a better option (acoustically).
Freejack
14th January 2011
Old 14th January 2011
Gear interested

Yes, the small room is almost square, and unfortuntely i can't move the walls. I prefer the one room design too, because of the small rooms shape.

I have some time and i made an another plan with a wall that separates the big room into two smaller. This "wall" is still standing here, and i think i can use it as a frame for the rockwool and gypsum boards, and if the project is done, i have two separate rooms...
(The smaller room dimensions are: Length: 4.68m, width:4.85m, and the height is 4.18m)
I attached two pictures, i hope this helps to visualize the place.

My plan is not to make a dead room, i have neough space to treat the room good, but i don't know what type of treatment will be good.
Below the 3D picture shows blue "panels" which are absorptive surfaces. BUT: what type of ceiling should i make to make a good and live sounding room? I must fill the "gaps" on the walls between the absorbers with diffusion or something?

I think if i build a hanging frame with sloped surfaces and possibly absorbers make a good result, but i don't know that if this is a good idea or not?
Attached Thumbnails
Small Studio Plan-s3.jpg   Small Studio Plan-p1.jpg   Small Studio Plan-p2.jpg  
14th January 2011
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freejack View Post
This "wall" is still standing here, and i think i can use it as a frame for the rockwool and gypsum boards, and if the project is done, i have two separate rooms...
(The smaller room dimensions are: Length: 4.68m, width:4.85m, and the height is 4.18m)
Horrible room ratio, absolutely horrible (it's a cube) - And that single wall wont give you much isolation from the drums anyway...

I still think you would be better of with a one room studio.

If you decide to go with two rooms, be sure to calculate some good (or as good as possible) room dimensions - After you've settled on a 'room approach' and have settled the room dimensions, we can start talking about treatment options. thumbsup

Cheers,
Freejack
14th January 2011
Old 14th January 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by SörenHjalmarsson View Post
Horrible room ratio, absolutely horrible (it's a cube) - And that single wall wont give you much isolation from the drums anyway...
Yes, I know...Today I was able to measure the exact size and realized that i can't use this room because the shape of the room.

I was planning before that one room can be used as rehearsal place, but i think this idea is rejected with the one room concept.
I can't build a wall to any other place, so i must stick to the one room conception...

I must slam down the glass wall, and i have a big space without separation.
Freejack
18th January 2011
Old 18th January 2011
Gear interested

I want to use the room as one big place (like in the post #6), but i have a few questions.
If i treat the room as a big control room how and where can i record drums, guitar amps and so high volume instruments? Do You think is impossible to build in this place a big accurate control room and a smaller live room for drums and guitar amps?

I read through most of the topics here, webpages on the net, and analyzed a lot of plans before this post. Conclusion: the control room must be symmetrical and need special treatment, to bring out the best of the place, and to have a nice RFZ, but the live room is a different animal.

Can somebody help to answer my questions?

I learned so much from other projects and professionals here, but i will never have as much knowledge to design this place alone, and i don't want to build a bad sounding and unusable place, and rebuild it after a few months, because the errors i made.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search