To drum riser, or not to drum riser
Old 11th May 2010
Gear maniac

To drum riser, or not to drum riser

I was about to build a drum riser, but after poking around on this forum, it seems maybe I shouldn't.

I've got a solid concrete floor. (this is a separate building from the main house) I don't need any isolation or soundproofing as the drums are recorded in a room separate from the control room.

I always thought a riser help accentuate the low end but after reading some info on this forum, it seems the opposite is true?
Old 11th May 2010
Gear Guru

No Riser

The concrete floor should be best for bass as it won't absorb much or any of the energy. Similarly moving the kit near a wall will enhance bass. For max bass try a corner.
DD
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

I'm no pro but according to what I've read if you build a riser it must be solid (mass) enough not to resonate with the drums.

Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

Tomatoes, Tomawtows

In my experience in woking at different studios around san diego I beleive the drum riser can give a drum set a nice big resonant sound. It can give the bass drum and tom toms a nice big dose of extra decay, especially when compared to a concrete floor. However its not entirely neccesary to always have such a big sound. It may work for some styles of music but not all styles of music require big sounds that riser tend to produce. The sturdier the better isolation from each drum component. If you want to have a riser build a modular type that can be fastened together with bolts and easily taken apart so that you can choose between drum riser or no drum riser. If you have the room and resources I say try it out. Drum risers always produce a truly unique "feel" and tonal contribution when used in production.
Old 11th May 2010
Gear Guru

Perspective

There seems to be a thread emerging, no pun intended. Some drummers seem to like the 'feel' of risers. They also think or hear their drums resonating in some likeable way. I play drums and am an acoustician. I can not come up with an acoustic explanation. I have little or no experience of playing on risers. If I were to make one I would likely try to make it as massive and non resonant as is practicial. Kinda like concrete
Concrete has to give better LF support, because it doesnt aborb it, while a riser will suck some energy. When risen, the drums are further from a real boundary. Less bass. If the riser is tall enough some of the drums will be in a vertical null. Again less bass. Lastly a riser is likely to shift the overhead mics closer to the ceiling. Not good.
Perhaps there is a psychological effect here. Or maybe the drummers like the clear sound without the LF boost.
DD
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

My experience is that a carpet on hard wood/concrete/solid mass is best. I've worked in rooms that have staging-quality risers, and they sounded great. But the DIY risers made out of plywood and Home Depot 2x4's tend to resonate a bit....I was hearing something strange, and my intern suggested that we remove the risers, and the low end tightened up. That saved my session.
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by strewnshank View Post
My experience is that a carpet on hard wood/concrete/solid mass is best. I've worked in rooms that have staging-quality risers, and they sounded great. But the DIY risers made out of plywood and Home Depot 2x4's tend to resonate a bit....I was hearing something strange, and my intern suggested that we remove the risers, and the low end tightened up. That saved my session.
I agree.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search