Drum room idea, Isolation / Soundproof
New Reply
Subscribe
Jiffypop
9th September 2009
Old 9th September 2009
Gear interested

Drum room idea, Isolation / Soundproof

OK, after some investigating here and elsewhere, I have come up with a concept for my own drum practice room.
First of all, the outer room is already constructed. It`s just a basic rectangle, approx 20 x 25 feet. Drywall over wood studs, with Roxul Safe and Sound between studs, and in ceiling. Ceiling is dropped with tiles.
The inner room materials I`m considering are the following.
Starting from the outer sheet. A frame of 2"x4" on 24" centre, 5/8" plywood, Green Glue, 1/2" Homasote sheets, Roxul "Safe & Sound" batts glued to front lower half of "wall", and then covered in fabric. The upper half will be covered in acoustic foam.
My goal is to isolate the drums in a "Room within a room" without spending thousands, yet still having it relatively quiet outside these walls.
This is in a basement, and I'm wondering if I should also raise the floor a little as well. For that I'm considering rigid foam, and plywood, with underpad, and carpet covering.
Am I "out to lunch" ? Your thoughts.
10th September 2009
Old 10th September 2009
Gear maniac

You realize that you have to build a new ceiling supported by your inner leaf walls, right?
Jiffypop
11th September 2009
Old 11th September 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntbutt View Post
You realize that you have to build a new ceiling supported by your inner leaf walls, right?
Yes sir, of course... Forgot to mention that. There will also be lighting, a source of power, a tv, and ventilation.
11th September 2009
Old 11th September 2009
Gear maniac

Cool. No need to do anything to the floor. You'll need a door that has at least as much mass per area as your wall.
11th September 2009
Old 11th September 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Weasel9992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffypop View Post
1/2" Homasote sheets, Roxul "Safe & Sound" batts glued to front lower half of "wall", and then covered in fabric. The upper half will be covered in acoustic foam.
Is there a reason why you're doing foam there? Panels made from mineral wool or rigid fiberglass would sound better, but I also understand it's just a practice room. Just a thought.

Frank
11th September 2009
Old 11th September 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel9992 View Post
Is there a reason why you're doing foam there? Panels made from mineral wool or rigid fiberglass would sound better, but I also understand it's just a practice room. Just a thought.

Frank
This is why I posed the question. Feedback. I was going to use foam, because I "thought" it would be better.
I don't want a completely "dead" room just really quiet outside of it.
My biggest concern was the "thin walled" construction idea.
The more I thought about it the less appealed I am to the idea ie: hanging a door etc...
11th September 2009
Old 11th September 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Weasel9992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffypop View Post
This is why I posed the question. Feedback. I was going to use foam, because I "thought" it would be better.
I don't want a completely "dead" room just really quiet outside of it.
My biggest concern was the "thin walled" construction idea.
The more I thought about it the less appealed I am to the idea ie: hanging a door etc...
Well, foam isn't going to improve the transmission loss anyway. It'll make the room sound more dead, at least up in the high end. If that's what you're shooting for (and it may be in a room that size) then you can do it with foam. You might be able to do it for about the same price (maybe even cheaper) by using 2" panels made from mineral wool or Owens Corning 703. You'd just use fewer of them...no need to cover every square inch. That'll leave some of the bounciness in the room but get things more under control from 500Hz on up. Make sense?

Frank
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search