Subscribe
bukman
17th August 2009
Old 17th August 2009
Gear Head

Question about monitors placed on a meter bridge/ desk vs on stands behind desk

Hi all,

This has always confused me.
If a monitor sitting on a meter bridge is assumed to cause a reflection off the desk causing a specific frequency dip, why would this not occur for speakers on stands at the same height but slightly behind the meter bridge? Surely the angles to the mix position and hence reflections are nearly the same.

Exactly where does the speaker stand placement option qualify as removing the desk reflection issue?
eg. Does the front of the monitor need to be at a minimum behind the back of the meter bridge? Can it hang over the back of the meter bridge slightly if the stand is slightly higher than the meter bridge?

Hope someone can clear this one up for me as I want to set my mix position as best I can to take advantage of my recently purchased speaker stands.

Cheers
17th August 2009
Old 17th August 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukman View Post
why would this not occur for speakers on stands at the same height but slightly behind the meter bridge? Surely the angles to the mix position and hence reflections are nearly the same.
With the speakers farther back the angles are shallower, so the reflections go more toward your elbows rather than your head. I've seen drawings that show this, but I can't find one quickly now to post.

--Ethan
17th August 2009
Old 17th August 2009
Gear Guru

With stands, you have options. With the bridge, you can't move the speakers much.

-tINY

17th August 2009
Old 17th August 2009
Gear Guru

Try it

Get a mirror and lay it on the console. If you can see the speakers in the mirror you will also have an audio reflection.
DD
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search