Login / Register
 
Soundproofing Existing Apt via Blown Insulation?
New Reply
Subscribe
zirconst
Thread Starter
#1
27th April 2009
Old 27th April 2009
  #1
Sample developer
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 181

Thread Starter
Send a message via AIM to zirconst Send a message via Skype™ to zirconst
zirconst is offline
Soundproofing Existing Apt via Blown Insulation?

I've been living in a six-unit duplex with my fiance for the last year or so. We love it here, but there is just ONE problem - the noise from our neighbor's downstairs. They don't shout or play loud music, but our floor is apparently so thin that we hear their muffled conversations (can't make out what they're saying, but we hear pitches) and sometimes even their snoring. We've been able to put up with it for awhile but it's really getting to be annoying. We often have to run fans or air conditioners more often to block out their noise.

Lately we've been looking into blown insulation as a method of soundproofing. We spoke to a contractor earlier that said they can blow fiberglass into our interior walls and floors without being terribly invasive.

What sort of effect can we expect from something like this? How much should we be looking to pay if our apartment is ~600-700 square feet? Additionally, is there a better material than fiberglass that we should be considering?
__________________
Impact Soundworks - Samples designed with composers in mind. Celestia: Heavenly Sound Design now available!

LIKE ISW on Facebook!
#2
27th April 2009
Old 27th April 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Weasel9992's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,339

Send a message via AIM to Weasel9992
Weasel9992 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconst View Post
I've been living in a six-unit duplex with my fiance for the last year or so. We love it here, but there is just ONE problem - the noise from our neighbor's downstairs. They don't shout or play loud music, but our floor is apparently so thin that we hear their muffled conversations (can't make out what they're saying, but we hear pitches) and sometimes even their snoring. We've been able to put up with it for awhile but it's really getting to be annoying. We often have to run fans or air conditioners more often to block out their noise.

Lately we've been looking into blown insulation as a method of soundproofing. We spoke to a contractor earlier that said they can blow fiberglass into our interior walls and floors without being terribly invasive.

What sort of effect can we expect from something like this? How much should we be looking to pay if our apartment is ~600-700 square feet? Additionally, is there a better material than fiberglass that we should be considering?
You could expect a small amount of reduction I suppose, but didn't you say that it was your *floor* that was the problem?

Frank
__________________
Frank
zirconst
Thread Starter
#3
27th April 2009
Old 27th April 2009
  #3
Sample developer
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 181

Thread Starter
Send a message via AIM to zirconst Send a message via Skype™ to zirconst
zirconst is offline
The contractor I've been speaking with explicitly said they blow the insulation into the floor as well.
#4
28th April 2009
Old 28th April 2009
  #4
Gear nut
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 95

sermstyle is offline
i had the exact same problem here, but instead of just talking, it was parties too....

were now movoing.....

but i would guess, fill the floor with rockwool or sumthin, then over your floor boards add another set...?..no idea tbh..

also sound will come up through your walls not just the floor...
#5
28th April 2009
Old 28th April 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Weasel9992's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,339

Send a message via AIM to Weasel9992
Weasel9992 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconst View Post
The contractor I've been speaking with explicitly said they blow the insulation into the floor as well.
That's good, and it'll probably help a little, but I doubt very seriously that you'll get enough improvement to justify the cost. Like the previous poster indicated, there are many other things to consider, not the least of which are flanking paths.

Frank
zirconst
Thread Starter
#6
28th April 2009
Old 28th April 2009
  #6
Sample developer
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 181

Thread Starter
Send a message via AIM to zirconst Send a message via Skype™ to zirconst
zirconst is offline
But we intend to fill the walls too, at least the interior walls (the external ones are solid rock and are much more effective at insulating vs. noise.)

Several contractors I've spoken with have said they would estimate a reduction in volume by about 50%. Does this sound reasonable? The quote we got was around $800-1000.
#7
28th April 2009
Old 28th April 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,122

Smithcok is offline
Insulation will help.
However, to really get better isolation, more mass is king. More mass (and/or damping, isolation, etc.) is likely a more effective route, although it will likely cost more than blown insulation.
#8
28th April 2009
Old 28th April 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Weasel9992's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,339

Send a message via AIM to Weasel9992
Weasel9992 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconst View Post
But we intend to fill the walls too, at least the interior walls (the external ones are solid rock and are much more effective at insulating vs. noise.)

Several contractors I've spoken with have said they would estimate a reduction in volume by about 50%. Does this sound reasonable? The quote we got was around $800-1000.
That really depends on exactly what you're experiencing. If it's only a 10 or 12dB transfer in the vocal band from the adjacent space, then sure...I think 50% is reasonable. The problem is, I'm not there so I can't say...there's some level of risk associated with it because there's some subjectivity involved.

Frank
#9
29th April 2009
Old 29th April 2009
  #9
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 182

Peter MacColeman is offline
What is the floor construction? Is it Wood over a plywood subfloor? Did they say how much space is between the floors?
zirconst
Thread Starter
#10
29th April 2009
Old 29th April 2009
  #10
Sample developer
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 181

Thread Starter
Send a message via AIM to zirconst Send a message via Skype™ to zirconst
zirconst is offline
I don't know the precise volume of the noise that we're hearing, but we are having someone from the contractor come by to listen for themselves. Like I said, basically what we hear is muffled speech. Can't make out anything being said, but it's lower frequencies for sure. Our floor is hardwood with area rugs on top - no idea what the spacing is.

As for "more mass", yeah, that would be nice, but we have no ability to simply tear up the floors or go into our neighbor's apartment and add mass to THEIR ceiling. That's not possible. I'm all ears for suggestions of things we can do that aren't invasive! Blown insulation SEEMS to be the only solution, however, that doesn't involve tearing stuff down.

So far, based on what you all have said, this may or may not work. Has anyone actually done it themselves? Is it possible to blow a larger mass of material in the gaps for a higher cost? Is there any way to test what the results might be, or any sort of scale we can use to help determine whether we should go through with this?
#11
2nd May 2009
Old 2nd May 2009
  #11
Gear interested
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 15

amthompson is offline
Looks like you're going to be the guinea pig... post your results!

P.S. If you don't find a significant reduction in noise from your neighbors, maybe your spending will be justified by lower heating and a/c costs?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
evillain / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
5
Arnold Rimmer / Studio building / acoustics
3
PhilE / So much gear, so little time!
17
RMcFarland / So much gear, so little time!
6

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.