Garage Conversion Using 3 Existing Walls.
deadroom
22nd January 2009
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear maniac

Garage Conversion Using 3 Existing Walls.

Hello All,

I have browsed other threads but have not really found what Im looking for.

I have a smaller home studio currently inside my home. My office is my control room and I run a snake into my 2nd bedroom which is about 10ft away from there. Both rooms are treated and i've learned to work with them quite well.

For obvious reasons it would be nice to have a "guest bedroom" and also a better drum room *more important* haha.

I have done a small amount of research as of now but I have an idea for my garage which involves basically splitting it in half by building a new wall.

This is the entrance to my garage from inside the home.

I want to step into my new "live room" when coming from this door.

This line will be the where the 2nd wall I build is.

I want to have a sound proof glass on this wall so that I can look into my live room from what will become my control room. I do not want any bleed.

I plan to only build 2 walls, while using the 3 existing garage walls so that i have 2 rooms. A live room and a control room.

The small piece of tape is the center of the room, and I plan to skew this new wall slightly to avoid as much reflection as possible. I do not want the rooms to be 50/50, as illustrated by the tape *sorry for the crappy photos*, the control room will be about 6 inches smaller.

Ideally, the wall splitting the garage in two will be along this line.

This will be where the control room sits, on the right side of the garage.

This will be the live room, on the left side of the garage.

Again, here is where I plan to have the wall that splits them in two with the special "studio" glass in the center so that I can see into that room.

Both of these rooms will have doors obviously so that I can get to them from the other.

Now that you guys have an idea with the amount of space Im working and my particular idea, I need your help.

For the longer wall, that is splitting the garage in half, I will need materials that will kill as much sound as to not disturb the neighbors. Multiple layers of insulation? Solar board? Multiple Layers of Plywood w/ insulation? Not sure how to kill as much sound as possible to go between the layers of sheet rock.

The same goes for the wall that is splitting this new room in half...I obviously want that "studio glass" in this wall...Is there a particular glass that is right or wrong for the job and I also would like to know what materials to put between the sheetrock to eliminate any bleed.

Once the walls are up and finished I will move onto flooring... I personally would like to have wood floors in both of my new rooms.

After the floors and walls are complete I will move on to proper treating of the walls which is for another thread I suppose!

Anyhow, Thank you so much in advance for all the help.
deadroom
23rd January 2009
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear maniac

no help? advice? haha
23rd January 2009
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

I think, you should draw a plan, even better do a sketchup. And better photos, where one could get a better idea of the room, would help to.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search