Login / Register

900 sq ft unfinished basement will 20K be enough?
New Reply
Subscribe
redredstudio
28th November 2008
Old 28th November 2008
Gear Head

900 sq ft unfinished basement will 20K be enough?

I have a 900 sq ft unfinished basement, that I want to make into 2 rooms. (Tracking and mixing). I have decided I want to keep the cement floor in the mixing room (dye it/rug) and do HW floor in the tracking.

As far as sound iso goes, only worried about between tracking/mixing and the basement ceiling/house floor.

The house is built half in a hill, and the basement is 80% earth isolated, and at a good distance from the neighbors.

Is it possible to make this thing sound and look great with 20k?

Yes I am reading Home Recording Studio: Build it Like the Pros.
I know building is 90% planning and 10% construction.

I can do light construction work (framing, sheet rock, iso, ect), but as far as ceiling n such I may need to hire someone. Also need to hire electrician.

I don’t want to go over 20K and under is better (more $$ for GEAR!)

What corners can I cut, and what corners should I not cut.

Basement is a rectangle.

Attached is a pic,

I plan on moving the hvac in a corner with the heater and building a small room around it. So that makes 3 rooms I guess.

Since I am prob like 4 months away form touching this thing, any advise, recommendations, concerns, or comments would be AMAZING!

Thanks guys.

thumbsup
Attached Thumbnails
900 sq ft unfinished basement will 20K be enough?-lr1003726-11.jpg  
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Lives for gear

You can see the pics of my current build. I am almost complete. I have a 10x10 room and a 9x10 room.

My two rooms are connected. I used two pieces of drywall on both sides of the framing. Each piece is separated by a 1/2" air gap, so I have 2 layers of drywall on each side. I used green glue as an insulating/bonding material wherever wood and drywall touch. I insulated and used the same technique on the ceilings in both rooms. I can blast a Marshall half stack in my tracking room with surprisingly little bleed through into the control room.

Sme people say using a thin sheet of MLV (mass loaded vinly) helps. I have only seen it used once, and was less than impressed with the results. But others say they used it and it works. Maybe this person screwed up the install.

Oh...703 panels are your friend. And let your ears be the final judge on how much bass trapping and other acoustic control you need.

Also, don't fall into the trap of confusing soundproofing with trying to create a great-sounding room. Different techniques and materials apply.
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaw View Post
You can see the pics of my current build. I am almost complete. I have a 10x10 room and a 9x10 room.
I guess it's a bit late to offer an opinion, but at 10x10 room is about the worst thing you can do. The only way to make it worse is to have a 10 ft. ceiling as well. I might have suggested a slightly larger control room and smaller recording booth. That way the booth would suffice for vocals, guitar overdubs, and the like, and the control room would be better able to provide a proper listening environment. Of course, in that case, you couldn't really record a drum set or full band, but truly, that's still not going to be accomplished well in the rooms you will have. I would have shifted the focus to overdubs, and made the rooms better for a particular application rather than worse for all applications. Sorry for the criticism.
www.studiometronome.com
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo View Post
I guess it's a bit late to offer an opinion, but at 10x10 room is about the worst thing you can do. The only way to make it worse is to have a 10 ft. ceiling as well. I might have suggested a slightly larger control room and smaller recording booth. That way the booth would suffice for vocals, guitar overdubs, and the like, and the control room would be better able to provide a proper listening environment. Of course, in that case, you couldn't really record a drum set or full band, but truly, that's still not going to be accomplished well in the rooms you will have. I would have shifted the focus to overdubs, and made the rooms better for a particular application rather than worse for all applications. Sorry for the criticism.
No problem with the criticism. Read below.

I have no intention of recording drums in my place, other than a Roland V-kit. I record live drums elsewhere. Neither room is a true square, as they have a few dips and a 45 degree angle as well in the control room. It sounds surprisingly good. I did need enough room to record a three-piece brass section or 3 strings. I've played my trumpet and trombone in the tracking room and have no complaints other than a raspy reverberation around 3K. Proper room treatment will take care of that.

I do agree that a classic 10x10 space does not constitute a proper recording or listening environment. But, given proper treatment and a bit of forethought, good results can be had. If I didn't compromise with the wife over space I wouldn't have any room at all. I prefer to stay on good terms with the wife.
redredstudio
29th November 2008
Old 29th November 2008
Gear Head

thanks for the reply.

so how much did it cost? the construction of the two rooms?
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaw View Post
I did need enough room to record a three-piece brass section or 3 strings.

snip...

If I didn't compromise with the wife over space I wouldn't have any room at all. I prefer to stay on good terms with the wife.
A wise man indeed!

If you need space for three players, then you need the space. Functionality always trumps theoretical perfection.
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo View Post
A wise man indeed!

If you need space for three players, then you need the space. Functionality always trumps theoretical perfection.
Yeah, that was balancing act. It's not useful if not functional. Besides, I'm not kidding myself into thinking that I could obtain that theoretical perfection your speak of. Now, when I hit the lottery...come back and see me, lol. Kidding aside, I'm pleased with the overall result. I think I struck a good balance. And it feels good knowing that I did it.
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redredstudio View Post
thanks for the reply.

so how much did it cost? the construction of the two rooms?
Supplies used:

drywall (5/8"), green glue, carpet (free), a lot of 2x4 and 2x10 wood, nails, drywall screws, ventilation material, wiring (Romex 14/2, 12/2 and 12/3--check local codes), drywall primer, firestop materials, caulk, paint, wood trim, window, outlets, 2 dimmers, one on/off toggle switch, 4 hi-hats, 2 tracks of three lights, outlet and switch plates, one solid door, one double layer hollow door, 2 door handles, one homemade desk, paint materials (tray, roller, brush, edger), bead board, spackle and sandpaper.

Estimated cost of material: $2000.00
Estimated labor savings: $4000.00

This is just a small part of the overall basement project, but that is it for the studio. Be aware that I was able to get the wood and drywall for cheaper than the average person.

Warning: If you do not feel that all of the labor can be done by you, get help! It costs a lot to fix poorly done work. Doing the firestopping was a major pain in the butt. And don't screw up the framing!

I'll post a final pic soon.
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Gear Head

Send a message via MSN to FastlanePro Send a message via Skype™ to FastlanePro
basement finished - not a studio, but...

OK.

I'm at the 95% point of a basement reno (~1500ft^sq) (not a studio).

The big costs were:
1) flooring
2) bathroom

I would also have been hit very hard with electrical had I not been able to do that work by myself.

I selectively paid people to do the things I was unable/unwilling to do (i.e. drywall)

Your plan to minimize flooring will be a key cost shave. There's no way around building a cheap bathroom. they just aren't cheap. If you have no plans to do one, then fine. It may effect your ability to get a license to use your space commercially, though. Depends on your jurisdiction.

The big problem is that a studio build is inherently way more expensive than "residential". Basically double the framing, double/triple the drywall, more expensive electrical, all the damn rockwool/703, etc.

20k is only possible if you are doing a bunch of the work yourself. Or if you can call in a bunch of favours from a contractor friend/family member

Hope that helps,
Lane
redredstudio
1st December 2008
Old 1st December 2008
Gear Head

thanks! this does help
2nd December 2008
Old 2nd December 2008
Lives for gear

My basement was about 1200 sq/ft and we spent about $450k in the build for 2 rooms and an iso booth.

Regards,
2nd December 2008
Old 2nd December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Mastering View Post
My basement was about 1200 sq/ft and we spent about $450k in the build for 2 rooms and an iso booth.
From what I know of build costs in your part of the world $375/ft^2 is not unreasonable for a first class facility, as your's is.

Andre
2nd December 2008
Old 2nd December 2008
Lives for gear

$375/ft2 = $4000 / m2 !

This price cannot be only with materials, can they ? Or it includes everything (materials, labor, etc...)... are your walls made of gold ?!

http://www.onlineacoustics.com - Acoustics !

http://www.mel-music.com
- project of mine with a female singer

http://www.sonicflames.com - Indie Label & Audio/Music Services

http://www.spinousmusic.com
- my one man band project
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search