Login / Register

Angles of Control Room walls
New Reply
Subscribe
5th February 2012
Old 5th February 2012
Gear maniac

I read somewhere that if your room, let say double car garage size it's better to leave it one large room for drums, and not to give up the real-estate and don't build a control room?
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear nut

This was a fantastic read. So, what happened at the end? what was the final design? did the place eventually get built?
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Lachot View Post
Nathan,

The 1 : 1.33 ratio is problematic. That's a 3 : 4 ratio, which makes it a perfect 4th, and perfect intervals are exactly what you don't want for room ratios (they're less than perfect, to say the least). You know how when you tune a guitar using 5th and 7th fret harmonics, you get the same tone from the two strings? (3rd harmonic of one string = 4th harmonic of the other.) It's the exact same thing here - your walls will be harmonizing in sympathy, making for a lot of reinforcement in one or two keys - in this case the keys of F and Bb - at the expense of all the other keys.

You're better off either shrinking down to a 1 : 1.26 ratio (Major 3rd) or going up to a 1 : 1.4 (Aug. 4th) Either will work okay with your length dimension. This way you'll be reinforcing the keys of either E or F#, both of which are a long way from Bb (the key of the height dimension). This is the sort of musical balance that will make your room sound even and true.

There's a bit of rounding in these numbers for the sake of simplicity.

--Wes
any cure for a room which is 3,97x4,15 meters?.

regards
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

2 dimensional rooms are particularly troublesome.
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
Gear maniac

LOL Another dimension was too expensive for the current state of studio business, so I'm trying to save one. everybody will hear a MP3 anyway.
ceiling goes from 4,10m to 3,70m
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

tracking?

Mixing?

both?

what are the walls made of?

how many and where are the windows/doors/hvac?

what have you done acoustically so far?

what are the problems as you are hearing them?

have you done any acoustical measurements?

are you hoping for Wes to answer all your questions?

Here's what I do. Free if you like, pay if you REALLY like:

http://midwestdeathrattle.bandcamp.com/
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear maniac

ouch! :D
in fact nope if "Yous" don't want to... I just ask a few Q's.

here's the case:
The whole room is tiles (also the ceiling), except the floor that is laminated wood with a very small air gap and concrete below. There is a 2x1m studio window at the front. Front left corner has a 45º cut with bricks and also has a studio door. Left wall has a big old door in the middle, width is 1,20m; up to 60cm is wood, then glass up to 3m. Back wall has a 100x60cm window almost in the corner.

I already have a light 2,50mx1,20m glass wool panel in the middle of the right wall at middle heigh and some light panels covering about 1/3 of the ceiling

I plan to build a false ceiling as a big trap. 10cm rock wool and between 30 and 70cm air gap to the tiles if I do it straight and don't follow original ceiling angle. Also I'll build 3 different size super chunks for the remaining corners.

My main questions are:
¿How to change the geometry enough to avoid modes in 3D? With the super chunks cutting the corners will only remain about half of the 4meters front wall to back wall distance (almost equal to L/R and height) just where the studio window is (angled and 10cm deeper at least). I think I'd like to have an absortive front wall (did not like my last control with reflexive front wall) and possibly a trap in that wall is enough to change the relationships. or am I mistaken and traps don't change the room measures/geometry?

Will this amount of rock wool suck too much miss and highs?

40kg/cm or 70kg/cm would be better? ATM I'm more concerned with having the lows under control. I believe that later I can add some reflexion panels if necessary.

I didn't measured it yet, but ATM is empty and it sounds strident and boomy. I plan to track and mix.

thanks in advance
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpiccolini View Post
ouch! :D
in fact nope if "Yous" don't want to... I just ask a few Q's.
thanks in advance
After extensive reading this forum (a new part of GS for me) I learned that Wes is a well known member of the community. Due my bad english I understood "Wes" as a language joke, not a name, hence my "Yous".

I wan't able to measure audio in the room as there is construction work still happening. I understand this is not ideal as there is no identified problems; so the questions are pretty basic, not fine tuning anything. Just which would be the best approach. ¿ceiling as trap?

G
16th August 2012
Old 16th August 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Without dimensions it's impossible to comment too deeply. Generally, small rooms do better without angles because the angles just make the room even smaller.

--Ethan
I'm gravitating toward this design, I have a 19x24 room with 10ft ceiling and I desperately need a control room and want to make the control room small and thin and rectangular as possible and keep most of the real-estate as possible for drums, what are your thoughts?
16th August 2012
Old 16th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basslik View Post
I'm gravitating toward this design, I have a 19x24 room with 10ft ceiling and I desperately need a control room and want to make the control room small and thin and rectangular as possible and keep most of the real-estate as possible for drums, what are your thoughts?
In a room that big, you can make a nice CR. you have the option of splaying the walls to help create a RFZ. If this space is intended to be further divided, that analysis might change though. As it stands, you have around 4500 cubic feet of volume (minimum CR volume shouldn't be less than 1500 ft3 if possible)
21st August 2012
Old 21st August 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
In a room that big, you can make a nice CR. you have the option of splaying the walls to help create a RFZ. If this space is intended to be further divided, that analysis might change though. As it stands, you have around 4500 cubic feet of volume (minimum CR volume shouldn't be less than 1500 ft3 if possible)
Do you have a design that will work for me?, and thanks for chiming in.
21st August 2012
Old 21st August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basslik View Post
Do you have a design that will work for me?, and thanks for chiming in.
Me? no. I just been doing alot of reading and (some) experiments over the last few years, i'm a songwriter not a studio designer/acoustician... though i play one on TV.. err no i dont!. You could ask over at John Sayers forum if you need help with a design, but be forewarned to read and follow this sticky
Some good books to pick up would be Rod's excellent book, and Everest's Acoustic Handbook is an excellent resource for understanding acoustic principals (probably find one in your local library!), as well as the BBC published papers.
23rd August 2012
Old 23rd August 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
Me? no. I just been doing alot of reading and (some) experiments over the last few years, i'm a songwriter not a studio designer/acoustician... though i play one on TV.. err no i dont!. You could ask over at John Sayers forum if you need help with a design, but be forewarned to read and follow this sticky
Some good books to pick up would be Rod's excellent book, and Everest's Acoustic Handbook is an excellent resource for understanding acoustic principals (probably find one in your local library!), as well as the BBC published papers.
Thanks AwwDeOhh,

Yea I been there on John's site, I think I read too much info that I'm all messed up (LOL). I actually have a couple of plans from his site, I guess I just need to do it, by the way can I hear your music somewhere, thanks again.
10th August 2013
Old 10th August 2013
Gear interested

The reason I'm so hung up on the angle the control room needs for proper reflections is because that angle in my specific case will also be the angle of the main wall. After I know the angle I can proceed with the rest of the design.
12th August 2013
Old 12th August 2013
Gear interested

Hi there, I have a reallly little recording room; 3,26mts X 1,30mts.
How high will be the best cealing in those conditions?!
Can u recommanded me some "room dimensions calculator" than I sould use?
Thanks guys
DJ C.I.
30th January 2014
Old 30th January 2014
Gear nut

Probably the studio was not built, the OP sold everything

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gears...mps-snake.html

Still, this 3D is very very interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trymonlam View Post
This was a fantastic read. So, what happened at the end? what was the final design? did the place eventually get built?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search