Ideal ceiling height in studio
Old 13th July 2008
Lives for gear

Ideal ceiling height in studio

Hi guys,

My studio has the following dimensions:

29 Feet (length) x 15 Feet (width) with a 10 foot ceiling.

I have some bass traps installed in the front & rear corners which have a two feet gap between them & the ceiling.

The ceiling is actually a false one made from plaster, so i wanted to lower it by two feet in order to reduce the gap between the traps & the ceiling. Lowering it will also help the room cool a lot faster with the air-conditioning.

I just wanted to know whether lowering it would cause any problems or if it is safe to do so. Am i better off leaving it as it is?

I also had another idea of placing 2 inch thick rockwool inside the frame instead of the plaster. Would it be a waste & should i just concentrate on having a cloud above the mixing position?

Thanks for the help.
Old 13th July 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

I admit I don't totally understand your post, but from a mode perspective lowering the ceiling won't make things much worse than you have now. Usually the goal is to have a higher ceiling, but if you have other concerns that require lowering it, then you'll do what you have to do. It sounds like you'll benefit from more bass trapping too.

Also see this explanation of room modes:

Graphical Mode Calculator

--Ethan
Old 13th July 2008
Lives for gear

Interesting, since you mention a higher ceiling is preferred then i guess i'll just leave it as it is.

As for the bass trapping i took some pics so you can see how much i have now. Sorry for the bad quality.

Front wall (4" rockwool, the two traps in the middle are spaced 4" from the wall):

Side walls (2" rockwool, spaced two inches from the walls):

Rear wall (4" rockwool, the two traps in the middle are spaced 4" from the wall & i still have to put up the other corner trap properly:

I was thinking of adding a cloud above my mixing position & then some wall/ceiling corner traps for the front & rear wall.

Any suggestions on which areas to treat next?

P.S. Does anyone know a program that i can use to measure the frequency response in my room. Can i measure it with my Shure SM7B mic, or do i need a special mic for this job?
Old 14th July 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-cube View Post
I was thinking of adding a cloud above my mixing position & then some wall/ceiling corner traps for the front & rear wall.
There you go.

Quote:
Does anyone know a program that i can use to measure the frequency response in my room. Can i measure it with my Shure SM7B mic, or do i need a special mic for this job?
ETF, Windows, $150
FuzzMeasure, Mac, $150
Room EQ Wizard, Windows and Mac and Linux, Freeware
This article explains how I use ETF, but the principles apply to all such programs.

Also, you need a small diaphragm omni microphone to measure rooms.

--Ethan
Old 14th July 2008
Lives for gear

Excellent, thanks a lot for the help Ethan i appreciate it!
Old 14th July 2008
Lives for gear

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but is there any reason why you couldn't raise the top bass trap 2", leaving a gap in the middle between the two?

Frank
Old 14th July 2008
Lives for gear

Frank,

Thanks for pointing that out! To be honest the thought never occurred to me. I'll get to work on those tomorrow, thanks!

P.S. I can't really put up the top traps all the way up to the ceiling due to this small border underneath the ceiling (i've circled it in red). Will i still be better off pushing them up until they touch this border.

Old 16th July 2008
Lives for gear

From me minimum height of ceiling is around 3 meters or 10 ft
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search